The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Poor manager, just doesn’t know what is needed, some of the players are ok if they knew what they were doing .its going to be another long  season we are going no place, I know only one game played in league , we can’t defend and can’t score ,manager does not know his best team yet ,sick sick sick 

Forfar are a good side and no doubt will be top three so that makes the defeat more bearable.

What hasn't changed from last season is that we are in a very tight league where games will generally be decided by the occasional mistake on/or one side having a more potent forward line. Today we just did not get going, Forfar had done their homework and we eventualy ran out of steam.

With Kirkpatrick, Hilson and Jackson in their lineup they were always probably going to shade a tight game.

What concerned me today however was the fact that we are playing guys out wide and out of position, we are not creative enough in midfield and Hutton cannot seem to command a six yard box. Compare us with Forfar with McCallum in goals with Tapping and Hilson driving forward.

A disappointing start to the season against a side that clearly has designs on repeating last season’s play-off achievement.

Cited from Club's match report and difficult to challenge.

Need more invention from midfield if we are playing 3 up top. Not convinced Gallacher is a capable wide man,

Absolute dross watching that today but I don't agree with those that are throwing the towel in after one game. It's a long season, it should be a tight league, and you'd expect Forfar to be somewhere near the top. Not convinced by the 433 though, don't think we need 3 centre mids and I think we'd benefit from a formation that facilitates one or two of our more creative midfielders/wingers (namely O'Reilly, Thomson and Hawkshaw)

Can perhaps see the rationale to keep the starting eleven that played well for 45 against Hamilton - but today they were poor - as the team were overall over the 90 minutes.

Next week -  If, and its a big if - if McKay as his profile states, can play in a multitude of defence positions then I would drop Kerr, put McKay in as right back and put Fordyce in the centre.  Midfield - I  would have Roberts in there  replacing any of the starting midfielders today ( Cowan was stinking first half, Miller was stinking 2nd half, Wedderburn when he has time can pick a pass but his overall contribution to a game is minimal - so not so stinky  but whiffy.)  Roberts  is attacking, has two good feet, is quick and can make a pass.  Forwards - I really don't know - might  improve if they were getting better service - but I would have  at least Cammy Russell on the bench

2 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Absolute dross watching that today but I don't agree with those that are throwing the towel in after one game. It's a long season, it should be a tight league, and you'd expect Forfar to be somewhere near the top. Not convinced by the 433 though, don't think we need 3 centre mids and I think we'd benefit from a formation that facilitates one or two of our more creative midfielders/wingers (namely O'Reilly, Thomson and Hawkshaw)

Forfar were first class, everything you would want from your team,  Airdrie again have spunked money on a high risk project....  No threat or invention today playing Wedderburn as the play maker ,  I like the big man never hides and finds his man with a pass.  A midfield 3 didn't work and Roy and Seagal were too deep with Roy giving a scandalous performance and quite rightly subbed,  Roy has talent, but has bounced around a few clubs in his career and could be one of those boys that are high maintenance , we clearly signed boys "with a point to prove" with no real career stats to back then up. Roy, Craig Thomson, Carrick. All of these players are pivotal as they are expected to score goals,  Career stats say different.    

Moving forward a change has to come at centre half,  Kerr can pass a ball and is young and athletic, but at this point he is not a league 1 centre half, every game he has made costly mistakes and looks a bag of nerves.  Paul McKay is highly rated at centre half (by whom I don't know). He should partner the steady Crighton and have a midfield 3 of big nat, Hawkshaw and Roberts to give us energy and a spark in the middle of the park.....

Let's not sugar coat today as a one off it was fucking disgraceful , 

I wasn’t there but it’s early doors surely. It’s a new team, will take time to gel.

Bullshit! They started back middle of June and had all pre-season and the four Betfred Cup games to gel. They were just rank rotten yesterday, the piss poor tactics suited Forfar and there was a distinct lack of leadership from the sidelines.

11 hours ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Can perhaps see the rationale to keep the starting eleven that played well for 45 against Hamilton - but today they were poor - as the team were overall over the 90 minutes.

Next week -  If, and its a big if - if McKay as his profile states, can play in a multitude of defence positions then I would drop Kerr, put McKay in as right back and put Fordyce in the centre.  Midfield - I  would have Roberts in there  replacing any of the starting midfielders today ( Cowan was stinking first half, Miller was stinking 2nd half, Wedderburn when he has time can pick a pass but his overall contribution to a game is minimal - so not so stinky  but whiffy.)  Roberts  is attacking, has two good feet, is quick and can make a pass.  Forwards - I really don't know - might  improve if they were getting better service - but I would have  at least Cammy Russell on the bench

Agree with this. Firstly that is a disaster from Kerr all round, gives the ball away obviously but the situation is still managable but he's oblivious to Jackson standing free. He then blames everyone else, as you do when you are a 'ball playing' centre half who gives the ball away. Also then loses his man at the corner.

From what I've seen the system is not working. In 5 games we have scored 2 goals from open play and it is no surprise. A few people have said this but you cannot get away with Miller and Wedderburn in the same midfield, neither of them offers any attacking or creative threat which means we have plenty of safe deep possession but we only have 4 players going forward. One of those being Gallgher who is playing out of position and is never going to create from out on the right. Cowan doesn't seem to offer anything and I'm not sure what Roy is meant to offer. I'd go a 4-4-2. I think Smith will score goals but he needs a partner to feed off, him and Gallagher as a pair would be pretty effective. That would also allow us to drop one of Miller/Wedderburn, keep one as  defensive midfielder and then put in a more creative one (perhaps Hawkshaw or Roberts). And would also allow us to play with 2 proper wingers, we seem to have made an effort to sign a few of them but then play a system where none are included.

If you look at teams in the past few seasons who are successful at this level - Arbroath, Alloa, Ayr to name some - they played 4-4-2, pretty solid at the back who when they attack play quick direct football with pace. I thought with the players we had signed that is what we were aiming for, instead so far we are resembling the slow, possession based stuff which we know does not work.

You could very easily say ‘typical Airdrie’ as many have. 

You can just as easily say ‘typical Airdrie fans’ after reading some of the reaction on here and FB. 

Sack Murray? Aye, that’ll help. Let’s waste money on paying him off after ONE league game and then pay to get someone else in so we can then say ‘it’s not his team’ whenever he loses a game. How many managers have we went through in recent years? How’s about giving the guy a chance to build something.

It was one game against a good team. They were better than us on the day. We also shot ourselves in the foot by gifting them a goal. If that doesn’t happen, then it could have been a very different game. Yes, could have. Nobody knows.

What’s different to this season from last is that there’s players waiting in the songs to get their chance. And after yesterday’s performance they will get just that. Changes will be made.

Preseason created optimism amongst most fans and rightly so with some promising performances. That shouldn’t just die based on one game. The season is not just about one game.

I’ll revisit this post in a while once we’ve won a couple of games on the bounce and everyone thinks we’re amazing again. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

Yes Forfar might be in the first three in the league ,that makes it worse for me ,our opening home game ,we never tested there keeper .they seem to have 2or 3 at least better players than we have ,we are gearing our team around Wedderburn ,not working in last few games ,and once again lose a goal then fold ,interesting to here our leaders interview after the game .if he is sorry for players because they are hurting he should try being a Airdrie supporter  they will know what hurt is .

Agree the "sack Murray" chat is total knee jerk, I've still not fully formed an opinion myself.
He galvanised the defence last year which made me optimistic for this year, hell, I'd have been delighted with 30 x 1-0 wins this year if it meant getting out of this league again.
But yesterday there was absolutely nothing to take from the 60 minutes I saw, genuinely nothing.
I'll stand by my first quarter grace period for the manager and his team and assess where we are, I'd much rather get a poor performance and a wake up call out the way early doors before settling into an unbeaten run.
Please
Please.......

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003–04_Airdrie_United_F.C._season

Look at the early results in the league that season. We won the league that year. Not saying we should be mindlessly optimistic and that opener was definitely a reality check but the booing and doom and gloom comments are completely stupid imo. There's a long season ahead of us and no reason why it can't be a good one.

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Agree the "sack Murray" chat is total knee jerk, I've still not fully formed an opinion myself.
He galvanised the defence last year which made me optimistic for this year, hell, I'd have been delighted with 30 x 1-0 wins this year if it meant getting out of this league again.
But yesterday there was absolutely nothing to take from the 60 minutes I saw, genuinely nothing.
I'll stand by my first quarter grace period for the manager and his team and assess where we are, I'd much rather get a poor performance and a wake up call out the way early doors before settling into an unbeaten run.
Please
Please.......

First game last year we went on to beat Forfar 3-1 then went downhill after that ,I feel it could work opposite this season ,we will go to Montrose big win and on to a good run ,no way that can't happen ,manager has the player s use them to our best advantage .

I stand by my post from last week where I pointed out that Forfar were a good side and we should keep the heid if things don't go to plan. 

But that doesn't man that people can't be disappointed. This is exactly like last season where we were promised the earth and were truly awful. I'm not saying we won't come good, but you can't blame people for being gutted and asking why we can't seem to play attacking football even after bringing in yet another whole new team. 

1. Here's hoping we get better.

2. Murray doesn't need to go, it's the league opener FFS.

3. Fans don't need to mindlessly lap up shite performances.