The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Can understand the doubts about Millar and Wedderburn in midfield together being too defensive but I think Millar actually provides a lot of the energy that Wedderburn is lacking despite being a quality player. With that said I like the look of Cowan as well, especially considering how young he is, and would like to see more of Roberts so I'm fairly easy going. In terms of defence I like the look of Kerr and Fordyce so far and look forward to seeing McKay. Crighton's distribution is poor but he marked the Accies number 99 out of the game until he got chucked up front at the end. Think it looks like we have quality backups and good competition for places in most positions this season.

7 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Not really sure why changing the back four has come into question..? 

We’ve been well in control of games (Clyde/Hamilton) when in a back four then game was changed by questionable penalty’s!

Back 3 is when it hasn’t looked as fluent ( qp game)

Forgot the one in the middle Queens scored in first few min 

On 30/07/2019 at 12:11, Jack Reed said:

Who would be your man to drop out ,if McKay was to  start !!!

On 30/07/2019 at 12:27, AJ77 said:

If McKay is cleared he'll start on Saturday, going to assume kerr will be dropped so Fordyce can move into centre half.

On 30/07/2019 at 12:38, She who dares gins said:

He doesn’t need to replace anyone, simply asked if he’d been cleared yet. We have a bench.

On 30/07/2019 at 13:52, Jack Reed said:

There was no malice in the question , unless someone was to be injured he would have to replace someone ,could be on the bench to then brought on .

On 01/08/2019 at 09:02, Moon said:

Pretty quiet in here.

re the posts above, I think it's a good question (who will he replace). I was surprised when they made Crichton captain, not because he is a duffer or anything, but it seemed to me that Fordyce and Kerr were presented as being upgrades. Logic would say that you don't drop your captain (at least not until things have developed a bit more) so it's all a bit unclear to me.

Now we also have McKay who it's assumed will be RB but can play a variety of positions so he could technically add to my confusion at CH or CM. (Wedderburn being the only guaranteed starter at CM as far as I can see)

My personal view (so far) is that Fordyce is kinda like Gallagher in that he looks to be a good player but is destined to be played in a position other than his first choice. Feels weird as I would have killed for him at CH last year and Gallagher at CF.

On 01/08/2019 at 09:53, Passionate said:

All about opinions and seeing the game differently,   I think Fordyce is the starting right back. And rightly so, he is a massive upgrade on Stewart (who ironically has dropped out the Arbroath team recently).   Moving forward i believe our centre half pairing to be MacKey and Kerr,   but Crighton has played well and better than Kerr in the games so far,  a lot of people on here criticize his distribution from the back,  Crighton is old skool clears his lines or a long diagonal and gets us up the park,   problem we have had against all the teams in our section is overplaying at the back against sides with a high press,  thistle 2nd half,  QP 1st half,  Accies 2nd half,    Hopefully Murray has rectified this,    what about a back 5 on Saturday Crighton, Mackay, Kerr with Fordyce and Eckersley as wing backs....

I think McKay was signed to start as there seemed to be an implication that Murray wasn't 100% convinced by his defence after the Thistle game/before McKay signed. Who he comes in for though is an interesting question. Think he can play centre-half, right-back or centre-mid. As others have said I can't see Crighton being dropped. Kerr looks raw but is tidy on the ball and I think he's done okay considering how little first team experience he has. McKay's only played a handful of first team games himself so the difference in that regard is negligible. Moving him to right-back to allow Fordyce to play in the centre seems like a natural move but Fordyce has impressed me there and he's happy to play there too. Young Kyle MacDonald is also still to feature and he's a right-back/wing-back and fully fit according to the match preview. McKay has been cleared too so it will be interesting to see how we line up tomorrow. A back three/five is an option but I personally hope we stick to a back four. We have lots of options, versatility and depth all over the park and competition for places. Must be one of our best summers off the park for years. Now we've just go hope it pays off on the park. 

23 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

How's young Smith being doing so far?

I've been impressed with his work-rate. Full of energy, harries and harasses defenders and constantly wins possession in dangerous areas of the park. A few brownie points chalked off for being our only player out the whole 11 to miss a penalty in the shoot-out but he made up for it on Saturday with his first goal. Think he'll create plenty of chances for himself and the team with his work-rate alone. 

I'd personally like to see us start with Roy, Smith and Gallagher tomorrow. I think the key to a successful season could be getting the best out of all three of them especially when they're all on the pitch at the same time. We've seen that they're dangerous and capable of scoring already, so if we can get the best out of them and fix our seeming softness at the back, we could potentially do very well and be exciting to watch. A 4-3-3 would be ideal IMO but I could see us going for a 4-4-2 or something similar as there seems to be an emphasis on playing wingers which could mean Gallagher and/or Roy play out wide or one of them drops to the bench. TBF Thomson and O'Reilly have looked pretty dangerous too. Nice to have pace and skill on the ball throughout the team for a change!