The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Cannot deny that we bottled it today but a very good showing against a premier league outfit and I'm hopeful for this season. I've said for a while that it should be us and Falkirk competing and it still seems that way. The bookies have Raith Rovers ahead of us but they've had a dismal league cup (pumped 3-0 off Cove today, fair play to Declan Glass getting the third). If anything I'd be more worried about East Fife and Forfar than Raith Rovers

How the f**k did we bottle it?We got numerous decisions against us?they got a penalty for nothing?and a great goal it’s hard to play against 14 men so don’t leave all the blame on the squad

3 hours ago, Diamond legend said:

Wedderburn is absolutely a liability playing to deep to slow can't close opposition players down can't head a ball pretty similar to Conroy.I hope you are right to make playoffs is vital this season.I think referees Love give penalties against Airdrie same last week against Clyde.

Disagree about Wedderburn. Yeah he’s slow but his passing is solid, rarely misplaced, and he wins pretty much every header he’s up for IMO. Miles better than Conroy. 

Would have been good to get the win, but the most important thing is that we have played teams in different leagues and the manager has learned more about the squad,and put it to good use starting next week ,still some good players that can come in , completion for places that’s what we need ,

How the f**k did we bottle it?We got numerous decisions against us?they got a penalty for nothing?and a great goal it’s hard to play against 14 men so don’t leave all the blame on the squad

Bottled it is maybe too strong a phrase but the second half performance was poorer than first half. Decisions against us were atrocious but still a bit disappointed to lose considering we were 2 up at half time. Still a good performance against top flight opposition (woeful team but top flight nonetheless)

"Referee" - first penalty dubious but the tackle on Eckersley was a straight red - horrible tackle. As for the defeat,  "defensive Murray" had already punted Crighton up front with 10 to go - so the counter attack goal probably expected - but at least he went for it.

Proof of the pudding a week from today.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

😂😂😂

Unlucky Clydebank

Based on that performance today, it will be a toss up between that lot and St Mirren, to avoid automatic relegation from the SPL 💤

Bottled it is maybe too strong a phrase but the second half performance was poorer than first half. Decisions against us were atrocious but still a bit disappointed to lose considering we were 2 up at half time. Still a good performance against top flight opposition (woeful team but top flight nonetheless)

We were playing Hamilton Accies a poor premier league team against a league 1 team Everyone in the ground knew that airdrie weren’t going to dominate the full game then the ref gave a penalty early in the second half that knocked the stuffing out us and gave Hamilton momentum and controlled the game for once it ain’t the teams fault it was out of the teams hands

To be fair, that was a penalty (first one), couldn't really see the second one properly. Defo red card for that shocker of a tackle.

I'm fairly shite at predictions but last season I said that Arbroath were dark horses. This season I think Forfar are in that role, so lets keep the heid if it's a difficult game next week.

2 hours ago, Moon said:

To be fair, that was a penalty (first one), couldn't really see the second one properly. Defo red card for that shocker of a tackle.

I'm fairly shite at predictions but last season I said that Arbroath were dark horses. This season I think Forfar are in that role, so lets keep the heid if it's a difficult game next week.

Agree was certain at the time it was never a penalty,  watching the highlights show Eckersley ta king his man out, ball was miles away....

Only saw the QP game but from what I've seen and heard I'm cautiously optimistic we can do well this season. Think we have the players going forward to some serious damage to teams. Especially if we can find a way to get the best out of Gallagher, Smith and Roy when they're all on the pitch at the same time. Hawkshaw, Cowan, Roberts, Thomson, O'Reilly and Carrick should give our forwards plenty of chances. Hopefully Murray now knows his best team and we should have an indication of that next week. Worth remembering too that we still have MacDonald, McKay and a fully fit Roberts to come into the team as well. 

Obviously decisions went against us in the Clyde and Accies games but I am a little worried we're developing a tendency to 'shit the bed' so to speak when we concede whilst sitting on a lead. That needs to be sorted out (I still think we sit too deep when we're winning) but I'm sure Murray and the rest of the coaching staff are working on it. 

Next week will be a good test but hopefully we can get a good home win to kick-off the season. 

Overall I'm fairly hopeful. We're certainly due a good season anyway.

Edited by airdrieman

I think this Saturday will be a cracking indicator of where we'll be this year.
Forfar looked to have overcame a potentially horrendous summer losing some key players, but they've done well and replaced well, and IMO look stronger than last year! If we can start with a win (or even a point tbh) it won't be a bad start and we can draw some optimism from that.
Obviously I want Airdrie to do well, but I actually want Murray to succeed, IMO he's a likeable guy, speaks reasonably well and doesn't sugar coat things.
So for these reasons..... I'm in.

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I think this Saturday will be a cracking indicator of where we'll be this year.
Forfar looked to have overcame a potentially horrendous summer losing some key players, but they've done well and replaced well, and IMO look stronger than last year! If we can start with a win (or even a point tbh) it won't be a bad start and we can draw some optimism from that.
Obviously I want Airdrie to do well, but I actually want Murray to succeed, IMO he's a likeable guy, speaks reasonably well and doesn't sugar coat things.
So for these reasons..... I'm in.

Has to be 3 points at home  , 

6 hours ago, Passionate said:

Agree was certain at the time it was never a penalty,  watching the highlights show Eckersley ta king his man out, ball was miles away....

Watching highlights also and the game is now gone, but to describe that incident as "balls...miles away" is a wee bit of an exaggeration. It appeared to me as two guys going up to clear the ball/the No 2 does get there marginally first but it is not "taking out". All a matter of opinion for us but the Ref has the power to decide if it is a foul or attempted foul and he goes for awarding a penalty. As to the second it is a handball by Kerr and in the new rules it will be a penalty, but he is also being pushed by the Hamilton player as the ball moves on from the corner. It also looks as if the Ref books Gallagher and I can't see why.  Forfar game will be a tough start to a tough season but I am "Glass half full" just now.