The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, DiamondOwl said:

Perhaps, you’ve got a point. At least from the fact that you make it, I can tell you are intelligent, and so worth a response. Whether I am still a true fan might well be up for debate. But it’s not about me. It’s about the attitude your post displayed and the attitude of others on this site to any dissension whatsoever. This would appear to be: Such people are to be discouraged from attending. Their money is not as good as ours, because their opinions don’t tally with ours. We only want clones of ourselves as Airdrie fans.

I respect your opinion on the team. Yes, some of the signings do appear positive and as I’ve said many times before, perhaps I am wrong, and this will be the dream season. Maybe things are changing, we’ll just need to wait and see.

I think for me it’s been a steady drip, drip, drip of boring teams and poor managers with very little to entertain us on the park. Turning up in the freezing cold to watch dross. Murray has been getting the stick because he’s the present boss and there didn’t seem to be much improvement after he took over from Findlay . That’s despite the whitewashed version of the glories of the end of last season that some people have put on here. 

Another issue is cost.  Surely, I am not alone in thinking the value for money has been terrible: £16, now going up to £17.  If any others on here have visited Junior Football, they will realise our product is vastly over-priced. If you’ve not tried out the juniors, then please, whenever Airdrie are not playing, and/or you have a free Saturday, give it a go. You’ll be supporting grass roots footy and will most likely be pleasantly surprised.   

Go watch Gartcairn then ya dough ball. The fans saying that their money is better than yours is also a true comment, as  you aren't putting any in, and just going on this and attention seeking. Dildo.

Thought that 1st half was absolutely horrendous tonight, much better in the 2nd half despite a couple scares in the end from Queens Park. Unimpressed with Kerr tonight thought he would be better in the air with the size of him, I take it Gallacher is unfit or something? Would have started im over Smith.

On 23/07/2019 at 20:05, Chapelhall chap said:

Having been hopeless in the last few seasons. I guessed a 2-1 win against Clyde so on that basis, I confidently predict a win by 2 clear goals over the mighty QP.

Got it wrong again so no surprise there. The changes Murray made to personnel and the positional changes , did not really impress. I don't think Ally Roy looked comfortable being wide left and Hawkshaw was well short as a No 10 which left us weak against a tough and well organised QP. It could have easily been a defeat and yet had Fordyce kept his header down we would have snatched a win. QP actually scored the two best goals and hitting the bar twice in the last five minutes, will mean they will feel they were "robbed". If they play like that in L2 they will be real contenders. Their No 7 had some lovely step overs and was a threat all night. Unless somebody clugs him he could star in L2. I also thought they looked quicker and fitter. As far as we go, it still looks early days and still experimental but we need to move the ball quicker in attacking patterns, not lumping it down the channels. I did hear Murray shouting about playing it to feet but the message was mixed.  I can't remember seeing such a long penalty ending but am pleased we did keep Saturday's game against Hamilton, alive.

6 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Got it wrong again so no surprise there. The changes Murray made to personnel and the positional changes , did not really impress. I don't think Ally Roy looked comfortable being wide left and Hawkshaw was well short as a No 10 which left us weak against a tough and well organised QP. It could have easily been a defeat and yet had Fordyce kept his header down we would have snatched a win. QP actually scored the two best goals and hitting the bar twice in the last five minutes, will mean they will feel they were "robbed". If they play like that in L2 they will be real contenders. Their No 7 had some lovely step overs and was a threat all night. Unless somebody clugs him he could star in L2. I also thought they looked quicker and fitter. As far as we go, it still looks early days and still experimental but we need to move the ball quicker in attacking patterns, not lumping it down the channels. I did hear Murray shouting about playing it to feet but the message was mixed.  I can't remember seeing such a long penalty ending but am pleased we did keep Saturday's game against Hamilton, alive.

Our toughest game in the cup so far against Airdrie. Fair result overall I’d say, both teams look like they might have strong seasons 

Wedderburn was the weak link good on the ball to slow can't close the opposing players down I prefer Roberts aggression and hope he gets in the team when he is fit.

1 minute ago, Diamond legend said:

Wedderburn was the weak link good on the ball to slow can't close the opposing players down I prefer Roberts aggression and hope he gets in the team when he is fit.

They did a high pressing game and you are correct about his lack of pace. I was really surprised we signed him and even more that he was in the box to get the equaliser! I have no idea about Roberts but as Murray signed both, then maybe it is Millar to make way?

Perfect summer evening , 4 goals , 23 converted penalties , both teams playing some nice stuff in periods despite a horrendous ref and impotent lino both of whom managed to upset everyone ... all for £12 ... not bad at all .

3 hours ago, Diamond legend said:

This won't be the last time this kind of post appears about big Nat throughout the season.

Agree with most of this.
I would really hope we're not pinning our hopes on Smith as the striker. Yes, he put himself about (more so in the 2nd half) but most of the guys did also. Gallagher came on UP FRONT (hooray!) And straight away, Fed off a scrap in the box to get the 2nd.
Thought queens looked lively and I actually applauded there 2nd, what a hit and it was only ending up 1 place, with the keeper no chance.
Kerr had a torrid evening and twice within 30 seconds was absolutely done by the number 7, the second time resulting in the opening goal.
Big nat was slow and cumbersome, but when he finds that yard of space, he rarely wastes a pass.
Roy gives 100% and you can already hear from the crowd when he's on the ball, they like him but he's definitely not a "wide man".
In summary, poor first half, much better open 2nd from both teams, I was certainly entertained of a Wednesday evening for £12!

Thought we were second best last night overall,Nat as expected no pace and will be a problem,got to bring in a striker  if we are to be a serious challenge for the league. Queens very unlucky  near the end,got to say Queens will be as good as many teams in our league .only time will tell ,

We started really slowly again last night. As the first half went on we gained more control of possession, had some half chances but didn't work their keeper enough. 

Second half we dominated possession. Again lots of half chances and shots from the edge of the box but never worked their keeper enough. Their goal was excellent. Their number 7 was a real handful. 

The final stages of the game was end to end. We had 4 stickers on the park going for the win and had  a few chances. And QP had a couple of excellent strikes. 

Big Crighton is a decent enough defender however his distribution is shocking. How many times a game do we lose possession with him hitting those big floated diagonal balls? 4 times in that first half and I lost count in the 2nd where there were easy short balls into midfield and he punted the ball either straight out the park or to a QP player. 

All in all last night was a really entertaining game. 

Obviously Murray is still experimenting with different lineups and formations. But I think there is enough to be encouraged for the season ahead. 

Thought the first half last night was miserable. We were way too pedestrian, constantly going backwards, had no urgency and were out-muscled upfront - although how slow we were playing and the long balls to our forwards didn't help us in that regard. Murray is obviously still experimenting with shapes and personnel but don't think last night's worked. Roy struggled to get into the game at times out wide and I don't think Wedderburn and Millar work well together in the same midfield. You want either of them to be your deep-lying midfielder that takes the ball off the defence and moves it forward. But at times Millar was our most advanced midfielder. And while he has his strengths that's really not where you want him to be playing. Hawkshaw and Thomson looked dangerous when they had the ball although there wasn't too much in the way of hard chances in the first half. Kerr had some nice touches with the ball but looked a little suspect at times at the back. Crighton's distribution on the other hand is still woeful but he's a solid enough hand at this level. I assume McKay is still getting up to speed with pre-season but hopefully he'll be able to provide a competent mix of defending and distribution. Fordyce and Eckersley both look like class acts. 

I thought the second half was better though and the second half, and the penalty shootout, both ended up being thoroughly entertaining. I was impressed with Smith's work-rate. He harried the defenders and was able to win the ball and win back possession in dangerous areas a fair few times. Not sure he'll score many goals though TBH. Fair play to Murray for his substitutions, bringing on three attackers including taking off Crighton (thank f**k he didn't have to take a penalty) for Gallagher, and just going for it. It's the sort of baws oot approach he was known for at Dumbarton. I do think we should have brought Gallagher on much earlier right enough (considering we needed a goal essentially from the 5th minute onwards)  but was nice to see him score with what must have been his first touch. I hope he gets a proper run out on Saturday. And while both goals were scrappy, it was nice to score both from corners. 3 goals in two games from either a free-kick or a corner? What's going on? 

The penalty shootout was brilliant. 12-11 is easily my longest and it looked like I was maybe going to get a day off work today the way it was going. Encouraging too that the whole team, bar Callum Smith, were able to score. Hutton's penalty was a class finish and I was never in doubt when Big Nat stepped up to take his... Looking forward to watching back the highlights.

Overall it was good to get such a stern test from this game and we're going into Saturday's game still with the chance of finishing second and qualification which was always the aim. 

I should say too I was impressed with QP. Alfredo Agyeman was a real handful and Purdue's goal was a beauty. He was desperately unlucky too to hit the bar twice in quick succession near the end. QP were solid at the back and I think they'll do well this season. 

3 hours ago, LiamA said:

Right back at ya with that fella! I think neither of us will be though!

Used to watch Dewar , yardley ,sometimes yardley was in goal then he was at centre , I think he went to tranmere ,Philup,Finley Aitken will run a bell 👍🏼👍🏼Forgot legs Fleming and Don Emerry

They did a high pressing game and you are correct about his lack of pace. I was really surprised we signed him and even more that he was in the box to get the equaliser! I have no idea about Roberts but as Murray signed both, then maybe it is Millar to make way?

I hope not I think Millar has played quite well this season so far I also have been reasonably impressed by the big lad Cowan so I would not play Wedderburn until he gets his fitness level knackered after half an hour.

8 minutes ago, Diamond legend said:

I hope not I think Millar has played quite well this season so far I also have been reasonably impressed by the big lad Cowan so I would not play Wedderburn until he gets his fitness level knackered after half an hour.

Maybe McKay will get a start on sat and Roberts get them ready for league opener,this big punt from defence to nobody is no good and we all know who is most guilty .

Hope Murray isn't afraid to drop Crighton because he's captain. Was our only decent centre half last season but he's had a woeful time in this league cup group. Own goal against Thistle unlucky, but needlessly gives the ball away too often and was a bit suspect for Goodwillie's second on Sunday. Kerr has had shaky moments as well but so far him and Fordyce have looked better imo