The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, bbbbb said:

Diamond Owl, why not give Murray a chance with his own signings before downing tools.

Last season he perhaps decided he had to play a certain way with the staff he had.

The league has yet to kick off yet and it is here he should be judged. I understand, perhaps even share, some of your concerns but I don't think we are at a point yet where it is fair to judge.

Thank you for the tone of your post which is positive and constructive. Obviously, you are someone of excellent character who is willing to go against the crowd. I salute you for that.

Many people on this site are just engaging in the old herd mentality and there’s really no point in responding to them. They don’t want any supporters on here who disagree with the party view. I’m accused of being negative, yet I’ve not be nearly as negative towards Murray as they have been, and are being, towards me.

However, in contrast to what has been said, it’s not about me. Whether I go back to Airdrie games is neither here nor there. At first, yes, I just wanted to get my views across, but now it’s about much more than that. It’s about football clubs and supporters’ attitudes to each other. Are we allowed to have differing opinions and be respected? That’s the question. If anyone read the lengthy post in response to Glenmavis Diamond properly, they would realise that the issue is declining crowds and yet supporters want to discourage anyone who doesn’t share their viewpoint from attending. They only want clones of themselves. Of course, this is an issue for society in general, the ‘thought police’ want to control us, we must all think the same way. I’m just thankful I was educated before all this crap was being forced upon our children. Anyway, this is getting way too deep for a football forum.

Every good wish to you bbbbb and thanks for being someone with your own mind. It’s refreshing to see.

(Note: Stopallthebollarks is just a troll, I think everyone has figured that out. All his stuff is a misrepresentation of the facts).

That’s the question. If anyone read the lengthy post in response to Glenmavis Diamond properly, they would realise that the issue is declining crowds and yet supporters want to discourage anyone who doesn’t share their viewpoint from attending. They only want clones of themselves. Of course, this is an issue for society in general, the ‘thought police’ want to control us, we must all think the same way. I’m just thankful I was educated before all this crap was being forced upon our children. Anyway, this is getting way too deep for a football forum.

Christ mate step away from the keyboard

I’m sure some people may know, but for those who don’t there is a new Fantasy football Scotland app, I will leave the link to the app on Apple devices below, on Android just type in Fantasy football Scotland and it should pop up

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/fantasy-football-scotland/id1469063365

I have created a league for all Pie and Bovril users if anyone wants to join, we already have around 30 people in the league just from the initial thread so hopefully we can get more, the code to join the league is

PRANJXBW

Hopefully we can get a good amount of people in :)

Airdrie 2018/19 are a disaster.

Club board and manager review, appoint a Director Of Football and completely clear the decks on and off the pitch and completely overhaul the playing staff, backroom staff and more.

The wise old owl however decides to go on a rant, and withdrawl of support, about how pathetic the team were last December, and in various shifting rants goes from complaining about the treatment of a fans group, how negative the manager is, makes jokes about suicide, celebrates a player who downed tools and players an experienced manager and Director.

All to warn us about the perils of falling crowds!

With friends like you we don't need enemies.

Stop all the bollocks

Would assume we'll play the same team as Sunday tonight (apart from maybe a debut for Paul McKay) but I'd like to see Dean Hawkshaw start and Calum Gallagher get a run out upfront at some point. 

Looking forward to getting back to the football (for now anyway). 

Edited by airdrieman

The last few pages of this thread just prove the old adage that we, as a fan base, could not agree on the colour of shite.

I agree that the football under Murray thus far has not been scintillating to watch, however, it's not worse than it was under Findlay, Bollan, EWB and the rest of the jobbers we've had over the last few years. To say that Murray is the reason you won't be attending this year is utterly ridiculous given the circumstances. We need to remember that Murray was tasked with keeping us in the league (we were heading down under Findlay) and he's achieved that. I've said it countless times on here - judge him when he's working with his own tools. For me, that judgement starts in the coming weeks.

I'm not entirely happy the way the club has dealt with many things off the park. However, they are the current custodians of the club and lot's of folk either need to suck it up or shut up and let the rest get on with it. 

It's a shame all the trust stuff has happened and I've no idea how that will pan out long term but if we've a winning team on the park then there'll surely be more bums on seats, and that's what we all want.

said it countless times on here - judge him when he's working with his own tools. For me, that judgement starts in the coming weeks.

I'm with you on this one tbh.
I said last year Murrays main job was steadying the ship, he done that and nearly cemented a play off spot.
He made us hard to beat with what looked like (in the first quarter) a circus act of a defence. In those first few games the defensive errors and calamities would be hilarious to watch if it wasn't your own team involved.
I said when Murray was appointed, my own personal threshold for passing judgement was the first quarter of THIS season, by then we'll have had a couple of cup games under our belt, and played everyone in the league once, so we'll kniw where we stand.
If its not looking great by then, fine, I'll probably start bumping my gums as well.
FWIW, IMO, if we start with O'Reilly and Thomson (who I hope can settle in) out wide, big Nat just in front of the defence and get an early settled back line, I really think we can do well.
I like the look of Kerr at the back, and I think Fordyce and Crichton could bring him on a ton with that wee bit of experience.
I'm optimistic without being "all in".

Ignoring McKay at the moment because we haven’t seen him in action, I reckon our best side at the moment is:

Hutton

Fordyce - Crighton - Kerr - Eckersley

Wedderburn

Thomson - Hawkshaw - O’Reilly

Roy - Smith

I can’t say I’ve been overly impressed with Ally Roy so far but he’s scored goals, which you can’t argue with.

With Gallagher, Carrick, Cowan, Millar & Russell all available from the bench we seem to have a really strong group.

With the above in mind, I feel obliged to once again remind everyone that we’re gonna win the league.

11 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Ignoring McKay at the moment because we haven’t seen him in action, I reckon our best side at the moment is:

Hutton

Fordyce - Crighton - Kerr - Eckersley

Wedderburn

Thomson - Hawkshaw - O’Reilly

Roy - Smith

I can’t say I’ve been overly impressed with Ally Roy so far but he’s scored goals, which you can’t argue with.

With Gallagher, Carrick, Cowan, Millar & Russell all available from the bench we seem to have a really strong group.

With the above in mind, I feel obliged to once again remind everyone that we’re gonna win the league.

East -fife will be saying that after last nights result .

On 23/07/2019 at 13:37, DiamondOwl said:

Mmm….Nobody cares whether I come back…. Seriously, this is the sort of attitude coupled with a real lack of entertainment on the park that has caused our support to steadily decline over the past few years. Whatever you think of me, if you are a true fan you should want as many people as possible paying to watch the team and for car parking, food, etc.  Surely, it is vital to ensure that the club continues to be viable.

You’re challenging me on being a true fan but talking not attending games yourself? A tad hypocritical don’t you think?

We’ve started the season quite well with some decent new players signed and played some promising football. 

There’s been plenty of good attacking football and the players signed indicate we’re setting up to go win games.

cant ask for any more than that at the moment. 

8 minutes ago, Moon said:

score predictions for tonight?

I'm going for 3-1 to the diamonds.

A 10-2 rout of QP by ten man Airdrie.

David Hutton to get sent off and we chose to play with no 'keeper.

Ally Roy with a bakers dozen.

3 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

East -fife will be saying that after last nights result .

No we're not, this is going to be one hell of a competitive league so we will just keep our own council on that for the present thank you.

28 minutes ago, LiamA said:

No we're not, this is going to be one hell of a competitive league so we will just keep our own council on that for the present thank you.

Paying your team a complement but really couldn't give a toss if you were relegated 

2 hours ago, Moon said:

score predictions for tonight?

I'm going for 3-1 to the diamonds.

Murray said post match Sunday that he wanted to go into the game against Hamilton ahead of them on goal difference. Given that both Hamilton & Partick struggled against Queens (only only conceding 2 goals in total in those two games against higher opposition) it looks like a tall order. 

Current form suggests a tight game with few goals in it and a draw or a 1 goal victory either way.  Queens will be the fresher team, however Murray rested a few key players on Sunday and may freshen things up to counter this.

The sun is shining so I'll throw logic to the wind and go 3-0 Airdrie.

4 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

You’re challenging me on being a true fan but talking not attending games yourself? A tad hypocritical don’t you think?

We’ve started the season quite well with some decent new players signed and played some promising football. 

There’s been plenty of good attacking football and the players signed indicate we’re setting up to go win games.

cant ask for any more than that at the moment. 

Perhaps, you’ve got a point. At least from the fact that you make it, I can tell you are intelligent, and so worth a response. Whether I am still a true fan might well be up for debate. But it’s not about me. It’s about the attitude your post displayed and the attitude of others on this site to any dissension whatsoever. This would appear to be: Such people are to be discouraged from attending. Their money is not as good as ours, because their opinions don’t tally with ours. We only want clones of ourselves as Airdrie fans.

I respect your opinion on the team. Yes, some of the signings do appear positive and as I’ve said many times before, perhaps I am wrong, and this will be the dream season. Maybe things are changing, we’ll just need to wait and see.

I think for me it’s been a steady drip, drip, drip of boring teams and poor managers with very little to entertain us on the park. Turning up in the freezing cold to watch dross. Murray has been getting the stick because he’s the present boss and there didn’t seem to be much improvement after he took over from Findlay . That’s despite the whitewashed version of the glories of the end of last season that some people have put on here. 

Another issue is cost.  Surely, I am not alone in thinking the value for money has been terrible: £16, now going up to £17.  If any others on here have visited Junior Football, they will realise our product is vastly over-priced. If you’ve not tried out the juniors, then please, whenever Airdrie are not playing, and/or you have a free Saturday, give it a go. You’ll be supporting grass roots footy and will most likely be pleasantly surprised.   

Edited by DiamondOwl