The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

30 minutes ago, DiamondOwl said:

It's one game. But it all sounds wonderful. Maybe I should rush back on Wednesday and be thoroughly entertained.

Oh wait a minute.... I've just noticed your comment over on the Clyde thread: "We, Airdrie, didn’t play that well today either to be honest....”.  So it's a mile better, but we're not playing well?

Anyway, good result for the diamonds (even if it was still, by your own admission, not great to watch).

Nah; Nobody cares whether you rush back or not. You remain bitter and thinking you know best by not bothering to turn up and see for yourself, yet continuing to sprout how defensive the team are going to be. 

At what point did I say it was not great to watch? I believe I said we didn’t play well but we weren’t terrible either. Really good for 60 mins, but being a 90 min game, we didn’t play well overall. 

However, winning and scoring 3 goals, which could have been even more, whilst not playing that well? I’ll take that. Knowing we can play even better and can potentially destroy some teams this season? Superb. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

11 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

What utter nonsense. 3-2 today, hardly defensive. We’ve signed several strikers and attacking wide players who look to get on the ball and take their man on. We have a stronger bench than we have had for years. That’s a mile better than the sh!t we’ve watched in seasons gone by. If thats your idea of a defensive minded manager, I’m fine with that. 

We were not defensive today , not as defensive as we seem to think we are .

I was really pleased with that over the piece yesterday - yes we were slow out of the blocks for the first 15 mins and under the cosh a wee bit for the last 10/15, but we rode both spells out and got a result.

For that hour in the middle of the match, we looked in complete control and really should have been further in front when Clyde were inexplicably awarded the penalty.

I don’t necessarily think that 3-2 was a fair reflection of the game, but it was a good result and performance all in.

We played some very good football at times as well, as evidenced by the sublime second goal and a great counter attack for the third.

Interesting that we went 4-4-2 yesterday as well - not sure we were as comfortable with four at the back, but what it highlights is that we have options this season.

Montrose were probably one of the best teams we played last season and I emphasize the word team because they all had a job to do and done it very well, their win at our place early last season was the best team performance I've seen for a while. They were a decent side, used loan market well and as I said everyone knew their job.

Dumbarton were a car crash with no real direction, as were we given last season's results against them. Things picked up eventually when Duffy came in but looking in on them this season without actually seeing them yet I'd imagine itll take something special to field a worse team than them this season.

Stranraer are a plucky wee team and are no mugs, they might not set the world on fire but they are usually a solid mid table league one team, possibly just looking over their backs.

For clyde to do well in this league this season things will need to improve, a lot. We didn't have to be any great shakes to go into a 3-0 lead and I think it should've been more. You looked decent in spells but I think there is a flatness about your play, something that will need to change.
Yes remember montrose under petrie and they were decent outfit before they went up. Picked them (Probably least likely) Dumbarton and Stranraer as team we are maybe likely to be in a mini league. We have a young and decent squad with plenty of attacking options,Its our defence and the fear of returning to the bottom league after eventually getting out that gives me sleepless nights
You started off decent. Then during our spell in control, you looked like a run of the mill league 2 side. But then you looked decent in the last 15 mins after the penalty. Really liked wee number 10, Chris Johnstone. He’ll be a handful in this league 
Yes Chris Johnston will do very well for us. Old school attacking winger like Alan Lawerence/Andy Willock from the 80s/90s. Crowd pleaser.

Think were going to have score 2or3 a game to get a draw[emoji23]

Thanks for the replies lads[emoji106]

really enjoyed the highlights of our game, but lets not underestimate the fun that can be had watching the highlights of the Raith game and their big centre half looking like a soft lad everytime someone goes near him.  🤣

18 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

Steven McLean is quite simply the worst referee I’ve ever witnessed I used to think Charlie Richmond was the worst but this guy takes some beating

I have watched the highlights a la VAR and he seems to see Cowan blocking Goodwillie with a raised leg and down goes the sturdy wee chap. A few seconds later and he decides it's a penalty ( BA Robertson style) but it was a poor decision indeed. What was worse was his inability to see Grant hauling back Smith at the other end just before the long ball and Johnston's counter attack. Ian Murray gets first world wide "Yellow Card" public warning. I also noticed how we pushed up to stop the goalie playing the ball out a la new rules. Back to long kick outs soon and as for squad numbers I look forward to seeing all the numbers appearing at some stage.  As to worst refs I propose Matt Northcroft and Davy Sime

On 22/07/2019 at 00:18, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Nah; Nobody cares whether you rush back or not. You remain bitter and thinking you know best by not bothering to turn up and see for yourself.....

Mmm….Nobody cares whether I come back…. Seriously, this is the sort of attitude coupled with a real lack of entertainment on the park that has caused our support to steadily decline over the past few years. Whatever you think of me, if you are a true fan you should want as many people as possible paying to watch the team and for car parking, food, etc.  Surely, it is vital to ensure that the club continues to be viable.

In the past 6 or so years I have seen 8 people who previously sat round the area where I sit disappear from our support. One of them is a member of my family, who only went to two games last season and has become less and less interested. Others used to be there every week, but at some point have had enough. It is going to be very difficult to get some of these people back. Once people start doing other things and get out of the habit, they are unlikely to return.

Despite some people’s attitudes towards me on here, if wrong about Murray then I probably will return. That’s assuming it happens this season. But if right, then the likelihood is I will not.  One thing that’s not been mentioned is that I bring another member of my family, one who is still interested, at least to an extent. So the club loses 2 fans if I don’t come back. I know that won’t worry most people - Good riddance may be your attitude ( and seems to be attitude of at least 6 people on here), but continue telling people they shouldn’t come to games unless they agree with the position of a clique who toe the party line and you’ll find you only have the clique left! The Airdrie support is getting smaller and smaller and the demographics don’t look good. The problem is that young fans generally don’t like the sterile atmosphere. The old Broomfield was one of our biggest assets. It was a big part of what got me hooked and a tremendous loss to the club.

As I’ve said a number of times I don’t want to see the club fail. I have tried to bring a dose of reality in, but it seems no one wants to hear it.

On 22/07/2019 at 08:49, Diamonds are Forever said:

It seems bizarre that someone would not attend games due to not being worth watching but then waste at least the equivalent amount of time on here commenting on the team/manager that you apparently have no faith in.

I'll take a stab in the dark is this is directed at me by any chance!? Note I have hardly said anything about the team - focused mostly on the management.

The reason I’ve continued to post on here is because I care about the club, even if I struggle to enjoy watching the games these days.

Edited by DiamondOwl

2 hours ago, DiamondOwl said:

Mmm….Nobody cares whether I come back…. Seriously, this is the sort of attitude coupled with a real lack of entertainment on the park that has caused our support to steadily decline over the past few years. Whatever you think of me, if you are a true fan you should want as many people as possible paying to watch the team and for car parking, food, etc.  Surely, it is vital to ensure that the club continues to be viable.

In the past 6 or so years I have seen 8 people who previously sat round the area where I sit disappear from our support. One of them is a member of my family, who only went to two games last season and has become less and less interested. Others used to be there every week, but at some point have had enough. It is going to be very difficult to get some of these people back. Once people start doing other things and get out of the habit, they are unlikely to return.

I don't think anyone gives a f**k if you come back or not to be honest, get along and back the team instead of attention seeking trying to get folk to beg you to go on a football forum. I will be there as much as possible for home games this year, fingers crossed that it is a good season. 

21 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

I don't think anyone gives a f**k if you come back or not to be honest, get along and back the team instead of attention seeking trying to get folk to beg you to go on a football forum. I will be there as much as possible for home games this year, fingers crossed that it is a good season. 

Why would I want to get people to beg me to go? I have no such desire. I wish people would stop making up supposed agendas for my posts.

Hope you enjoy the games.

I'll take a stab in the dark is this is directed at me by any chance!? Note I have hardly said anything about the team - focused mostly on the management.
The reason I’ve continued to post on here is because I care about the club, even if I struggle to enjoy watching the games these days.

Frankly you’re a negative grim b*****d

Diamond Owl, why not give Murray a chance with his own signings before downing tools.

Last season he perhaps decided he had to play a certain way with the staff he had.

The league has yet to kick off yet and it is here he should be judged. I understand, perhaps even share, some of your concerns but I don't think we are at a point yet where it is fair to judge.

Look at me, look at me!

At the end of the day if you want to go to the football, go. If you don’t, don’t.

Don’t waste everyone’s time on here moaning about it. If the style of football doesn’t do it for you, away get a season ticket at the Nou Camp. You ‘support’ a team in the lower leagues of Scotland; I’m baffled as to what type of free-flowing football you are expecting.

His hero is Page and he hopes he stays here stealing a wage.

He hates Murray and his negative football but wants a team full of incapable youth players and a senior pro who admitted to downing tools.

He wants supporters to have the run of the club too.

But he's a diehard fan who is too heartbroken to watch Murray's ballplaying defenders, box to box midfielders,  flying wingers and exciting young strikers?

Right...  ok,  sounds legit.