The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

5 minutes ago, Moon said:

lost in a civil court. wrong 'un.

Won the criminal case. 

I know some folk through here who know both parties involved they have absolutely no doubt she was lying. 

Edited by Tory Boy

Looked comfortable and played some lovely football before McLean's incompetence came to the fore (good to see him living up to his reputation of being one of the shittest referees out there) The "penalty" rattled us then in Findlay-esque style we stop playing football, panic, concede a poor 2nd and just about hang on  (to be fair we would have probably ended up losing 6-3 if Findlay was in charge).  Hopefully lessons have been learned - (ie you can't collapse because of a bad decision/goal) - and worked on in training.

17 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Looked comfortable and played some lovely football before McLean's incompetence came to the fore (good to see him living up to his reputation of being one of the shittest referees out there) The "penalty" rattled us then in Findlay-esque style we stop playing football, panic, concede a poor 2nd and just about hang on  (to be fair we would have probably ended up losing 6-3 if Findlay was in charge).  Hopefully lessons have been learned - (ie you can't collapse because of a bad decision/goal) - and worked on in training.

It was at the far end and we were still fuming over the fact that he ignored several fouls on Smith and waved play on so like most fans no one seemed to see what led to his penalty decision. I generally believe you should only criticise the Ref when you win and until I see the highlights I will say that it was a turning point in today's game. I felt we were not in it in the opening 15 minutes but it did improve as we finally played some quick passing and pacey runs from Thomson and O'Reilly. Again the opening penalty was at the far end and it was one of those handballs which would have gone to VAR and a ten minute delay ! The real beauty was the well taken free kick and thumping shot from Eckersley. Clyde never looked like threatening and the second half should have been a stroll when Roy got his second-some great interplay by the front three. indeed had Roy kept his cool it would have been 4.. I have not seen the team so far but it was impressive until the Clyde penalty. It was then that Wedderburn began to get caught in possession/Cowan ran out of steam, and we seemed to lose any contact to stop Chris Johnston ( NO 10 Clyde) from which came their second. It was nearly a panic as Clyde just went for it and our wide players vanished as we sat deep. I thought the attackers were very good but we do need to watch out for that dip in last 15 minutes. For Clyde their No 6 was very tidy/Johnston will be a threat if you give him time and space, and despite all the off field stuff Goodwillie will get goals. (Nice header indeed) If Clyde are the measure of where the League goes , the early goal will be crucial and  there will be worse refs and even more handball penalties .  Good to see live football again

31 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Good result. I wasn’t there but seemed pretty comfortable up until the Clyde penalty which was obviously fairly controversial. Momentum is a dangerous thing and it seemed to shift almost entirely after that. Had visions of another Raith disaster but glad we were able to hang on until the end. That’s something we can work and improve on though. 

Nice to see Roy score a couple and likewise hear that we played some nice stuff and weren’t too defensive 😉 

Scoring a goal from a well-worked set piece too? Who would have thought it? Looking forward to watching that on the highlights. 

First game of the season for me on Wednesday, looking forward to that as well. 

38 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

It was at the far end and we were still fuming over the fact that he ignored several fouls on Smith and waved play on so like most fans no one seemed to see what led to his penalty decision. I generally believe you should only criticise the Ref when you win and until I see the highlights I will say that it was a turning point in today's game. I felt we were not in it in the opening 15 minutes but it did improve as we finally played some quick passing and pacey runs from Thomson and O'Reilly. Again the opening penalty was at the far end and it was one of those handballs which would have gone to VAR and a ten minute delay ! The real beauty was the well taken free kick and thumping shot from Eckersley. Clyde never looked like threatening and the second half should have been a stroll when Roy got his second-some great interplay by the front three. indeed had Roy kept his cool it would have been 4.. I have not seen the team so far but it was impressive until the Clyde penalty. It was then that Wedderburn began to get caught in possession/Cowan ran out of steam, and we seemed to lose any contact to stop Chris Johnston ( NO 10 Clyde) from which came their second. It was nearly a panic as Clyde just went for it and our wide players vanished as we sat deep. I thought the attackers were very good but we do need to watch out for that dip in last 15 minutes. For Clyde their No 6 was very tidy/Johnston will be a threat if you give him time and space, and despite all the off field stuff Goodwillie will get goals. (Nice header indeed) If Clyde are the measure of where the League goes , the early goal will be crucial and  there will be worse refs and even more handball penalties .  Good to see live football again

Pretty much sums it up, should have made more of our chances and been out of sight, before their dodgy penalty!

And hanging on at the end, brought back memories of previous seasons, although we did capitu;ate a few times (Raith & Peterhead)

On 20/07/2019 at 00:05, DiamondOwl said:

I take your point. I am a real fan, have been for over 35 years, as previously stated. I know that at times I’ve been pushing it quite far to try to get a reaction and have people think critically. Of course, I could well end up being wrong. But I’ve been seeking to get the happy clappers to take off the rose-tinted glasses and see that the probability is that they are going to be watching a defensively minded brand of football and that they are going to be disappointed yet again. I know most people don’t want to hear it, they would rather stay somewhat deluded, which is perfectly understandable, as in the past, I would have been right there with them.

What utter nonsense. 3-2 today, hardly defensive. We’ve signed several strikers and attacking wide players who look to get on the ball and take their man on. We have a stronger bench than we have had for years. That’s a mile better than the sh!t we’ve watched in seasons gone by. If thats your idea of a defensive minded manager, I’m fine with that. 

I’m confident the team will only get stronger and better with every game. There’s good competition throughout the squad so if someone doesn’t perform, then they drop out, so everyone has to be on their toes. We’ve not had that level of competition for a good while. Yes we need to iron out some blips but in my opinion there are Good times ahead. 

15 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

I’m confident the team will only get stronger and better with every game. There’s good competition throughout the squad so if someone doesn’t perform, then they drop out, so everyone has to be on their toes. We’ve not had that level of competition for a good while. Yes we need to iron out some blips but in my opinion there are Good times ahead. 

Hope so ,we will meet better teams than Clyde in our league .

5 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Total learning curve today for my lot, Clyde and reminder the step up is a lot bigger than some imagine (Not inc me)

To those who went along today how did we fair compared to say the likes of Montrose. Dumbarton and stranraer of last season...

You started off decent. Then during our spell in control, you looked like a run of the mill league 2 side. But then you looked decent in the last 15 mins after the penalty. Really liked wee number 10, Chris Johnstone. He’ll be a handful in this league 

Total learning curve today for my lot, Clyde and reminder the step up is a lot bigger than some imagine (Not inc me)

To those who went along today how did we fair compared to say the likes of Montrose. Dumbarton and stranraer of last season...

Montrose were probably one of the best teams we played last season and I emphasize the word team because they all had a job to do and done it very well, their win at our place early last season was the best team performance I've seen for a while. They were a decent side, used loan market well and as I said everyone knew their job.

Dumbarton were a car crash with no real direction, as were we given last season's results against them. Things picked up eventually when Duffy came in but looking in on them this season without actually seeing them yet I'd imagine itll take something special to field a worse team than them this season.

Stranraer are a plucky wee team and are no mugs, they might not set the world on fire but they are usually a solid mid table league one team, possibly just looking over their backs.

For clyde to do well in this league this season things will need to improve, a lot. We didn't have to be any great shakes to go into a 3-0 lead and I think it should've been more. You looked decent in spells but I think there is a flatness about your play, something that will need to change.

3 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

What utter nonsense. 3-2 today, hardly defensive. We’ve signed several strikers and attacking wide players who look to get on the ball and take their man on. We have a stronger bench than we have had for years. That’s a mile better than the sh!t we’ve watched in seasons gone by. If thats your idea of a defensive minded manager, I’m fine with that. 

It's one game. But it all sounds wonderful. Maybe I should rush back on Wednesday and be thoroughly entertained.

Oh wait a minute.... I've just noticed your comment over on the Clyde thread: "We, Airdrie, didn’t play that well today either to be honest....”.  So it's a mile better, but we're not playing well?

Anyway, good result for the diamonds (even if it was still, by your own admission, not great to watch).