The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

The Supporters club in its current format is done,  To be fair they came to the fore in desperate times for the club and helped to initiate the takeover . After that they got too involved in all aspects of the club,  and I am led to believe if it wasn't for the majority shareholder and main sponsor we probably we not be looking forward to this season if at all....      If the Supporters club was to reboot, the best approach would be an annual donation to the club no strings attached, maybe then more people would join...   

anyway enough of this negative pish,    do we realistically have a shot at glory this season , the bookies have us third favourites behind Falkirk and Raith i would guess that would be about right.

Hmmmm...

So the Supporters’ Trust, which was set up to try and ensure we never go through another liquidation, was “involved in all aspects of the club” and almost caused the club to go bust?!

That would require the majority shareholder, who has a substantial investment in the stadium, to have handed over responsibility to the trust for budgeting and expenditure. Doesn’t really seem plausible to me....

I get that there have been fall outs, but your post seems needlessly confrontational. Anyone who doesn’t realise that having the trust adding an income stream to the club would be a benefit and more likely to lead to a successful club is kidding themselves. The question is really one about what the role of the trust should be.

The fact that you are suggesting “there might not have been a club this season” is evidence in itself that a Supporter’s Trust is necessary. At the very minimum I would hope that the Club would be prepared to have a trust rep who’s role would be to act as a check and balance on finances to ensure that there was a sustainable model in place. You would then hope it would move to looking at how the Trust could then help the club improve the profit and loss account - that seems light years away at present.

If we nearly went bust last season despite drawing Celtic in the cup, then how on earth do we think the Hybrid model is sustainable this year when there’s no guarantee at this stage of any bumper cup draw and a risk that crowds continue to be at the paltry 600-800 level? And why would the majority owners be prepared to put additional capital at risk by purchasing further shares rather than putting in Director’s loans?

I want few things more than a successful Airdrieonians and the majority owner has put in sums that I will never be able to even consider. To that extent, he has the right to run it as he sees fit, but I have a lot of respect for the trust committee. If the club no longer wants to work with them, it seems like that’s been achieved. Why is it necessary to attack them in this way?

I’m genuinely interested and more than happy to discuss with you or Stop All The Ball Aches on a low budget, low circulation Airdrie Podcast!

The irony of all this is that the Trust and current owners worked toGeTher to make all this happen. Even engaging Mark Pirrie to help. No question those in charge have been key to the club in terms of where we now are and how we move forward. Not in doubt.

However there’s clearly been a break down in relationships, which for me has been detrimental to both and ultimately gutting. Over time, with new blood in the Trust, I’d hope (as I said before) bridges can be built.

The suggestion anyone wants the club to fail is ridiculous and disingenuous. I’m not sure who the new accounts are that have popped up recently but for me it’s creating trouble for the sake of it. Everyone should be getting behind the team.

1 hour ago, Airdrie76 said:

The irony of all this is that the Trust and current owners worked toGeTher to make all this happen. Even engaging Mark Pirrie to help. No question those in charge have been key to the club in terms of where we now are and how we move forward. Not in doubt.

However there’s clearly been a break down in relationships, which for me has been detrimental to both and ultimately gutting. Over time, with new blood in the Trust, I’d hope (as I said before) bridges can be built.

The suggestion anyone wants the club to fail is ridiculous and disingenuous. I’m not sure who the new accounts are that have popped up recently but for me it’s creating trouble for the sake of it. Everyone should be getting behind the team.

100% new accounts jumping on every opportunity to blame the trust for everything from Brexit to a struggling Airdrie team.

I honestly think it’s one, maybe two, people continuing to push a divide, and for me it’s not helpful. Ironically they are coming at it under the umbrella of ‘others are causing a split’. Yet...

So people stirring it yet we play tomorrow... hoping we win and keep the group alive. Can we focus that?

4 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Hmmmm...

So the Supporters’ Trust, which was set up to try and ensure we never go through another liquidation, was “involved in all aspects of the club” and almost caused the club to go bust?!

That would require the majority shareholder, who has a substantial investment in the stadium, to have handed over responsibility to the trust for budgeting and expenditure. Doesn’t really seem plausible to me....

I get that there have been fall outs, but your post seems needlessly confrontational. Anyone who doesn’t realise that having the trust adding an income stream to the club would be a benefit and more likely to lead to a successful club is kidding themselves. The question is really one about what the role of the trust should be.

The fact that you are suggesting “there might not have been a club this season” is evidence in itself that a Supporter’s Trust is necessary. At the very minimum I would hope that the Club would be prepared to have a trust rep who’s role would be to act as a check and balance on finances to ensure that there was a sustainable model in place. You would then hope it would move to looking at how the Trust could then help the club improve the profit and loss account - that seems light years away at present.

As you are aware the club 12 months ago was spunking money like a drunken sailor,  budget blown out water, but we were acting like big time Charlie's with the 2 night highland tour and crazy wages for league 1part time players......IMO only after various resignations did we see any sort of business acumen and a vision, when the "takeover" took place the club was being built in sand .  Thankfully the club appears now to run well and has generated a lot more interest and hope.

If we nearly went bust last season despite drawing Celtic in the cup, then how on earth do we think the Hybrid model is sustainable this year when there’s no guarantee at this stage of any bumper cup draw and a risk that crowds continue to be at the paltry 600-800 level? And why would the majority owners be prepared to put additional capital at risk by purchasing further shares rather than putting in Director’s loans?

I want few things more than a successful Airdrieonians and the majority owner has put in sums that I will never be able to even consider. To that extent, he has the right to run it as he sees fit, but I have a lot of respect for the trust committee. If the club no longer wants to work with them, it seems like that’s been achieved. Why is it necessary to attack them in this way?

I’m genuinely interested and more than happy to discuss with you or Stop All The Ball Aches on a low budget, low circulation Airdrie Podcast!

Colin i think any future podcasts have to be for this season moving forward, no doubt there will be ups and downs along the way,  happy to give you a tap on the shoulder and discuss any past festering frustrations..  You hoping to get to more games this season...

You’ve put a bit in the quote.

I’m trying to get to as many games as I can this year but with 2 kids under three and a wife due to go back into shift work it’ll still be limited. It also means I’ve played golf once in the last 2 years but that is what I signed up to!

Hoping that when they are older I can talk them into the football being a fun thing to do with me.

I’m hoping the podcast will focus on a glorious title challenge this season.... but I thought that last season too [emoji85]

By all means DM me so I know who I’m talking to if you want to give me any detail.

2 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

You’ve put a bit in the quote.

I’m trying to get to as many games as I can this year but with 2 kids under three and a wife due to go back into shift work it’ll still be limited. It also means I’ve played golf once in the last 2 years but that is what I signed up to!

Hoping that when they are older I can talk them into the football being a fun thing to do with me.

I’m hoping the podcast will focus on a glorious title challenge this season.... but I thought that last season too emoji85.png

By all means DM me so I know who I’m talking to if you want to give me any detail.

You'll have a long wait. They've been challenged before to give details of the trust's skullduggery and guess what.......Nothing. 

Will be interesting to see the lineup and whether or not it’s any different to how we started against Thistle last week. Like others have said I’d like to see Gallagher (and Smith) start upfront and I’d like to see at least one of Hawkshaw or Roberts start too. 

Something like -

Hutton 

Fordyce (any two of Crighton/Kerr/McKay) Eckersley 

Wedderburn 

Roberts                    Hawkshaw 

Thomson/Roy Gallagher Smith 

Or 

Hutton 

Fordyce Crighton/Kerr/McKay Eckersley 

Wedderburn 

Thomson Hawkshaw Roberts/O’Reilly 

Gallagher Smith