The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I genuinely don't mind defensive football.  Attacking football is great to watch if it's done well, but I think if you can't appreciate good defensive play you're missing a crucial part of the game.  Defensive football done well isn't spectacular, but equating it with bad football or ugly football or anti-football is false to my mind.  I don't know if you follow cricket, but personally I think a solid defensive batting display in a test match can be just as intriguing to watch as sloggers bashing the ball all around the ground. 

In any case a solid foundation at the back is absolutuely critical to a successful team - think about a few years ago when Ryan and Russell scored about seventy goals each if memory serves.  We had two strikers who seemed to score goals with their every sneeze and fart (granted a fair few of Russell's were penalties), and we still finished with negative goal difference almost thirty points behind the champions because we'd have struggled to defend our goal agaist a team of snowmen (corners were especially bad, I seem to recall).  We had the top scorer in the division, but we also had the third worst goals-against column in Scotland (66.  Motherwell on 69 and Inverness on 71 were the only two who were worse).   If focusing more on the defence means we don't get a repeat of that 5-0 home defeat to Stenhousemuir, I'll take it.

Edited by Tulloch Gorum

Playing devil’s advocate: fair enough

Providing a dissenting opinion: fair enough

Point scoring or securing a cheap laugh by having a dig at the club’s relationship with an invaluable suicide prevention initiative: not cool

2 minutes ago, el Gringo said:

Point scoring or securing a cheap laugh by having a dig at the club’s relationship with an invaluable suicide prevention initiative: not cool

Very true.

We can all get carried away and go too far at times, especially if we feel gotten at, but I hope Diamond Owl has the decency to apologise about that.  Quite happy to debate and differ about football, but that's crossing a line that shouldn't be crossed.

People talk about "a twenty goals a season striker", but those are few and far between.  In 2016-17 we very nearly had two strikers pass 20 (Russell finished on 18), which would have been the first time since at least the 1980s*, and we still were no nearer to winning the league than we were to walking to the moon because we simply couldn't defend. 

*can't find the figures - if someone can tell me the last time we had two players hit twenty in a season I would appreciate it.

25 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:
30 minutes ago, el Gringo said:

Very true.

We can all get carried away and go too far at times, especially if we feel gotten at, but I hope Diamond Owl has the decency to apologise about that.  Quite happy to debate and differ about football, but that's crossing a line that shouldn't be crossed.

Okay, to whom am I supposed to apologise? It was a joke. A poor one? Yes, probably it was.

I’ve got two close friends who haven’t worked for years because of issues, which include sometimes feeling suicidal. I don’t make light of the reality of these things, but equally a daft joke that doesn’t cause anyone any harm shouldn’t be an issue IMO. Incidentally, I do genuinely believe suicide prevention agencies are a good thing and it is good that the club is seeking to do its bit.

However, we need to practice freedom of speech. This country is going nuts. I have zero time for political correctness. If you can convince me that my post has, or will, cause anyone genuine harm, then I will apologise.

Well said - the cheap point around the suicide partnership was just crass. It’s up to each individual who they engage with on here. Some better left ignored.

I’ll give this team a chance to actually get going in the league I decide I know how we’re going to play for the season. Murray has a reputation for defensive football, been told this from my Dumbarton supporting pals - but I want to give him time with the team he signed.

This Diamond Owl is the work of your sad and pathetic little Supporters Trust.  

An organisation who have lied to and manipulated their membership for years.

There is no point to Diamond Owl,  the Supporters Trust have lied their way out of the club and will never be welcomed back.   They want the club to fail!

They publically try to say the right things but they do the opposite.  They will try to intimidate and undermine genuine fans.   

Do not fall for their lies any more.

Notice the trust has certain mouthpieces while more prominent members say very little.

There is no point to Diamond Owl,  the Supporters Trust have lied their way out of the club and will never be welcomed back.   They want the club to fail!
They publically try to say the right things but they do the opposite.  They will try to intimidate and undermine genuine fans.   

Notice the trust has certain mouthpieces while more prominent members say very little.

I have to agree that after a summer of briefing the papers etc, I cannot see how there can be a proper relationship anymore.

How can you if you’re worried the next thing you say will land on the Advertiser’s desk - and that’s just for starters.

The damage seems to be irreversibly done. The club has worked all summer throughout this to deliver a new team, and structure etc despite attempts to be dragged down.

We’re better set-up than we have been in years for the league and I have no agenda other than an absolute desire to see us do well again.

2 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

Well said - the cheap point around the suicide partnership was just crass. It’s up to each individual who they engage with on here. Some better left ignored.

I’ll give this team a chance to actually get going in the league I decide I know how we’re going to play for the season. Murray has a reputation for defensive football, been told this from my Dumbarton supporting pals - but I want to give him time with the team he signed.

Lolwhut

In his last season (in a league with Rangers/Hearts and Hibs) we played pretty defensively - but stayed up comfortably. In the season and a half before that it was all out attack. We scored 65 and conceded 64 on our way to 5th in the Championship, playing some of the best stuff I've seen from a Dumbarton team.

Lolwhut In his last season (in a league with Rangers/Hearts and Hibs) we played pretty defensively - but stayed up comfortably. In the season and a half before that it was all out attack. We scored 65 and conceded 64 on our way to 5th in the Championship, playing some of the best stuff I've seen from a Dumbarton team.

I know a few and that’s what I was told. I prefer your version, it’s been hard for us to judge without him having his own team.  

That’s actually been a criticism levelled at him from elsewhere on this forum. He’s the man to keep you up but not win a league. I like Ian Murray by the way, and I think he has the team he wants now.

Good luck with your season [emoji1303]

17 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

I have to agree that after a summer of briefing the papers etc, I cannot see how there can be a proper relationship anymore.

How can you if you’re worried the next thing you say will land on the Advertiser’s desk - and that’s just for starters.

The damage seems to be irreversibly done. The club has worked all summer throughout this to deliver a new team, and structure etc despite attempts to be dragged down.

We’re better set-up than we have been in years for the league and I have no agenda other than an absolute desire to see us do well again.

They should Stop All The Bollocks!

57 minutes ago, StopAllTheBollocks said:

A first time anonymous poster (but probably just changed his handle) having a rant with absolutely no factual information. Let's hear some facts and we can take you seriously.

4 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

I know a few and that’s what I was told. I prefer your version, it’s been hard for us to judge without him having his own team.  

That’s actually been a criticism levelled at him from elsewhere on this forum. He’s the man to keep you up but not win a league. I like Ian Murray by the way, and I think he has the team he wants now.

Good luck with your season emoji1303.png

I think his final season probably clouded a few fans' views of him, because the first season and a half was sensational. Sure we sometimes took a battering - but we stuck five past both other part-time teams in the league and four past a Hamilton side who won the playoffs. He would just chuck everything forward relentlessly to try and score more than our leaky defence would concede. It was great fun.

@Bring Back Paddy Flannery will back me up here.

I think his final season probably clouded a few fans' views of him, because the first season and a half was sensational. Sure we sometimes took a battering - but we stuck five past both other part-time teams in the league and four past a Hamilton side who won the playoffs. He would just chuck everything forward relentlessly to try and score more than our leaky defence would concede. It was great fun.
[mention=6311]Bring Back Paddy Flannery[/mention] will back me up here.

That’s OK - I believe you 🤣

DiamondOwl - that gave me a laugh, although I think you're overegging the defensiveness a wee bit. I do have concerns about our ability to score goals but I'm hoping something just clicks.

and I'm going to be clear that I'm not going to sit on here arguing this all day so don't expect it. But to make the accusatian that prominent trust members are hiding behind others to let them make damaging comments whilst creating a fake account on here so that you can say things you'd never openly say is blowing my mind.  In the words of Bart Simpson, the ironing is delicious.

1 hour ago, StopAllTheBollocks said:

Fact: I am not and never have been a member of the Supporters Trust. I have never gone to any Supporters Trust events apart from the meeting with the Ballantynes after TW pulled his funding out. So please stop making up stories. I don't want the club to fail.

You may think there is no point to me, but I think my wife and family might disagree!