The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

3 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I liked Stewart and would have been happy enough for him to stay but I can't see how anyone can say Thomson is better or worse. He's literally played one game (friendlies don't count) which is nowhere near enough evidence to come to any sort of conclusion on how good a player he'll be for us. I don't think Stewart was any better or worse under Murray than he was under any previous managers too. But it's undeniable Murray made the group of players he inherited from Findlay and the team as a whole better. 

Friendlies don't count in your eyes, but plenty of people on here are making judgements on players from them. eg. post above "Been impressed with Eckersley". Well I've been unimpressed with Thomson. I may change my opinion but at the moment I'm standing by it. 

You obviously didn't notice the difference in Stewart, to me it was obvious. He was not clicking with Murray's way of doing things and certainly was not the player he had been. 

Murray made the team as a whole better in not conceding so many goals, I'll give you that. But it was torture to watch. I repeat I left a 3-0 victory over Stranraer depressed. That shouldn't be happening. The idea surely is to entertain. He got rid of the most entertaining player we had and shipped out on loan someone who might just have got us the goals to get us to the play offs.

The defence doesn't concern me after 1 competitive game - they had a 10 minute ropey spell in the 2nd half on Saturday where everyone could see a goal was coming - but before and afterwards they looked relatively comfortable. I think we lack a traditional old fashioned target man who can get on that loose ball in the box or take the pass to feet from the midfielders. 

So for me, its hopefully a striker with a reasonable reputation for putting the ball in the back of the old net.

3 minutes ago, DiamondOwl said:

Friendlies don't count in your eyes, but plenty of people on here are making judgements on players from them. eg. post above "Been impressed with Eckersley". Well I've been unimpressed with Thomson. I may change my opinion but at the moment I'm standing by it. 

You obviously didn't notice the difference in Stewart, to me it was obvious. He was not clicking with Murray's way of doing things and certainly was not the player he had been. 

Murray made the team as a whole better in not conceding so many goals, I'll give you that. But it was torture to watch. I repeat I left a 3-0 victory over Stranraer depressed. That shouldn't be happening. The idea surely is to entertain. He got rid of the most entertaining player we had and shipped out on loan someone who might just have got us the goals to get us to the play offs.

Is your judgement on Thomson based on the one game you went to against the Rovers?  Tell me it isn't so. 

As for your statement about watching Airdrie under Murray being "torture" , I am guessing that you must have being writhing in total agony under Findlay... 

2 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Is your judgement on Thomson based on the one game you went to against the Rovers?  Tell me it isn't so. 

As for your statement about watching Airdrie under Murray being "torture" , I am guessing that you must have being writhing in total agony under Findlay... 

Yes. the Rovers game and highlights of the other 2 games.  So I can't tell you it isn't so!

Haha. Yeah,. Findlay wasn't great either. I never said he was. It just that I was looking for a far better manager after Findlay, and it doesn't look like we've got that. at least not yet.

Just now, DiamondOwl said:

Yes. the Rovers game and highlights of the other 2 games.  So I can't tell you it isn't so!

Haha. Yeah,. Findlay wasn't great either. I never said he was. It just that I was looking for a far better manager after Findlay, and it doesn't look like we've got that. at least not yet.

Based on one game and Diamonds TV...

We're all entitled to our opinions - that's the joy of this forum.  So many games did you go to last season? You alluded that you only attended a couple and then chucked it after the torture of the Stranraer game. Just asking as you seem to have a personal dislike of Murray and are very opinionated about his treatment of several players based on limited experience of watching the team and Murray's tactics - unless you are counting five minute highlights again.

In my opinion, Scott Stewart blew hot and cold this season-  as he did for most seasons under other managers/coaches. Nothing to do with Murray

3 minutes ago, DiamondOwl said:

I thought there were positives to take from Thomson's performance against Thistle. He looked dangerous when running at defenders in the first half, but I'll admit his end product was a bit sloppy. The team's full of new players and they'll still be getting used to playing together, once Thomson's had a run of games playing with the other lads I think he can be a good player for us this season, keeping in mind we'll be playing teams weaker than Thistle every week.

17 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Based on one game and Diamonds TV...

We're all entitled to our opinions - that's the joy of this forum.  So many games did you go to last season? You alluded that you only attended a couple and then chucked it after the torture of the Stranraer game. Just asking as you seem to have a personal dislike of Murray and are very opinionated about his treatment of several players based on limited experience of watching the team and Murray's tactics - unless you are counting five minute highlights again.

In my opinion, Scott Stewart blew hot and cold this season-  as he did for most seasons under other managers/coaches. Nothing to do with Murray

Sorry, maybe I didn't make it clear I attended the couple of games after Stranraer  (Including the glorious 0-1 against Stenny in the run in!). I think about 11 including one Bet Fred Cup game at the start of the season.

I reckon I have seen enough of Murray's tactics and heard others voice the same opinions as myself to get a good enough picture of his style. I have nothing personally against him. I don't know him. But it's the fact he's been the one - after all the rank rotten managers we've had - who has been so negative that I just can't take watching Airdrie any more. Of course maybe it's nothing to do with Murray at all, and I've just reached the 'grumpy old git' age when I complain about everything!

17 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Have you considered applying for a season ticket at the Nou Camp?

Haha. Nope cant afford the travel and couldn't stand all the tippy-tappy crap! Give me a good old  blood and guts junior game any day.

Has the new signing been named yet!  Likely be another young lad ,maybe played at higher level  needing some game time ,still say sorting out that defence is manager priority ,I would like a big striker but got funny feeling it will be a big defender .

39 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Has the new signing been named yet!  Likely be another young lad ,maybe played at higher level  needing some game time ,still say sorting out that defence is manager priority ,I would like a big striker but got funny feeling it will be a big defender .

Apart from maybe a right back why would sorting out the defence be a major priority? 

14 hours ago, DiamondOwl said:

Stewarts form had dipped well before Murray I would say probably half way through season before. Had lost pace which was a big factor in his game  & positional sense was getting worse under Findlay.

28 minutes ago, CumbyDiamond said:

Stewarts form had dipped well before Murray I would say probably half way through season before. Had lost pace which was a big factor in his game  & positional sense was getting worse under Findlay.

I like Stewart and would have been happy enough for him to stay but he had a terrible start to last season. He came under a lot of criticism on here and FB. A number of posters were asking for him to be dropped. In the final weeks of Findlays reign he was subbed early in a couple of matches before eventually dropping to the bench for a few games. His best performances of the season came later in the season, under Murray. Obviously too little too late to win over the manger.