The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

If Airdrie play the way they did in the first half we won't need to fear anyone in  our league .I think goals will come from throughout the team so when we add a out and out striker we will score a  barrow load ,have to go I hear the nurse coming .

18 hours ago, dextermorgan said:

Cannot fathom why we had Gallagher and Roy on the wings with Carrick in the centre from the start.

Looked totally toothless up front today and didn't really cause Partick any problems. The manager obviously hoped it would work, I'll be really disappointed if that's the lineup for the forthcoming season.

Thomson and Gallagher had chances in the first half both coming from good play. O'Reilly clipped the bar and Carrick almost stole a goal at the end

I wouldn't mind another striker in but still think the team has goals in us when playing in the league . We won't be playing any team as good as partick week in week out! Even after both friendlies people were saying we need a 20+ striker like who? Only 5 players in all of Scotland done that in the leagues last year! Also even though against lower opposition we created plenty chances scoring 5 goals in 2 games which could easily been more if it hadn't been for there keepers! If gallacher gets his chance through the middle I have no doubt he will get easy 15+ for us and other players chipping in along the way.  I can see us been solid at the back again and we already look better and quicker on the wings and when we break. Only takes 1 goal to win a game when keeping a cleansheet 

49 minutes ago, airdrie88 said:

I wouldn't mind another striker in but still think the team has goals in us when playing in the league . We won't be playing any team as good as partick week in week out! Even after both friendlies people were saying we need a 20+ striker like who? Only 5 players in all of Scotland done that in the leagues last year! Also even though against lower opposition we created plenty chances scoring 5 goals in 2 games which could easily been more if it hadn't been for there keepers! If gallacher gets his chance through the middle I have no doubt he will get easy 15+ for us and other players chipping in along the way.  I can see us been solid at the back again and we already look better and quicker on the wings and when we break. Only takes 1 goal to win a game when keeping a cleansheet 

Spot on, I'm sure every club would love these 20+ strikers but unfortunately theres not many of them going about.

Murray will still be trying things out in this league cup with different formations and players in different positions so by the time the league rolls around he should hopefully have a good idea what his strongest line up is.

Definitely thinks there's goals in this team, difficult to judge them against Partick, as you said we wont be playing against that standard in our division. From what I've seen so far, theres better quality on the ball and re-watching the highlights from yesterday, we had a lot of good link up play during that 1st half which some teams in our division will struggle to deal with. Would like to see Gallagher get a run of games as the main forward of the three to see how well he does. 

24 minutes ago, airdrie88 said:

We played a 3 4 3 yesterday he played right of the front 3 but I'm sure he will be through the middle when the league starts 

Thompson played right of the front 3 with Gallagher playing on the right of the midfield 4. Was surprised to see they weren't swapped round but in reflection Thompson was excellent 1st half and looked our most dangerous outlet.

25 minutes ago, DiamondJack85 said:

Spot on, I'm sure every club would love these 20+ strikers but unfortunately theres not many of them going about.

Murray will still be trying things out in this league cup with different formations and players in different positions so by the time the league rolls around he should hopefully have a good idea what his strongest line up is.

Definitely thinks there's goals in this team, difficult to judge them against Partick, as you said we wont be playing against that standard in our division. From what I've seen so far, theres better quality on the ball and re-watching the highlights from yesterday, we had a lot of good link up play during that 1st half which some teams in our division will struggle to deal with. Would like to see Gallagher get a run of games as the main forward of the three to see how well he does. 

Thompson played right of the front 3 with Gallagher playing on the right of the midfield 4. Was surprised to see they weren't swapped round but in reflection Thompson was excellent 1st half and looked our most dangerous outlet.

Yes your right sorry he played behind Thompson don't think that's the way we will line up all the time when the right back from Motherwell is fit the shape might change and depending on who were playing also. 1st half we cut them open with some nice play on a few occasions just the final ball was a bit off but more positives than negatives in my opinion. Work rate was far better as was our shape and keeping the ball 

I've just read about the Raith game [emoji23] their French saviour who was going to be a rock at the back for them had some debut.
At fault for a goal, and scissor kicked a guy in the head to give away a penalty. Lovely stuff.
He was at fault for all 3 goals against Dundee. Just watched the highlights first off he trys to hold off the player to let the keeper come out but runs under the ball and the striker takes a touch to the side the units on his arse and boom one -nil.

The second he's in the bottom colour of the box and fires a kick at the boys head silly defending 2-nil.

For the 3rd he's all over the place . Dundee break down the left hand side and u can see the unit tracking back on the left Dundee switch play and he wonders off following the ball ,afor you know it he's right behind he other center back and Dundee slip a pass in the space he left .

Over all he looks miles of the pace his touch, passing, tackling all woefully bad and looks just as slow if not slower than Conroy.

1 hour ago, Diamondatheart said:

He was at fault for all 3 goals against Dundee. Just watched the highlights first off he trys to hold off the player to let the keeper come out but runs under the ball and the striker takes a touch to the side the units on his arse and boom one -nil.

The second he's in the bottom colour of the box and fires a kick at the boys head silly defending 2-nil.

For the 3rd he's all over the place . Dundee break down the left hand side and u can see the unit tracking back on the left Dundee switch play and he wonders off following the ball ,afor you know it he's right behind he other center back and Dundee slip a pass in the space he left .

Over all he looks miles of the pace his touch, passing, tackling all woefully bad and looks just as slow if not slower than Conroy.

Is it Conroy in disguise .

Callum Smith not a signing to fill you full of confidence,we have players that can run about and have a good work rate  ? It’s a goal scorer we are crying out for , keep hold of Edwards he will get you as many goals as Smith ,

It’s a goal scorer we need not another youngster Smith is just another ally Roy

1 hour ago, Spanish Armada said:

It’s a goal scorer we need not another youngster Smith is just another ally Roy

MacIntosh although not a out and out striker would have scored a good few with the service our better players would provide .

I think Gallagher would score a similar amount of goals as McIntosh if actually played as a striker.

But yeah, I agree that we need a striker, someone with presence or who is already in position waiting for a the pass, not having to work their way in all the time.

I'd be surprised if we lost both MacDonald and Edwards in the same pre season but I'd imagine that if there was any hint of a fee he'll be off.