The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Kyle Wilkie has signed for Annan Ath.
Do you think he will be a signing for us.

Yes. He was well liked amongst the majority of our support. Had a run early in 2019 where he picked up quite a few MOTM awards.

Big question mark over fitness but if he can get himself fit and you can allow him to play in the number 10 role I think you’ll really enjoy watching him.

1 hour ago, Airdrie76 said:

Anyone have a guess as to how many we’ll take through tomorrow? Hopefully a decent turn out. Tough one for a first competitive game with so many new players but it will
give a good indication of our level.

To be honest, I don't think it'll be an indicator of our level regardless of the result (well...unless we win 6-0 or something ridicuous) look at last year where we looked excellent against Hamilton and went on to be incredibly shite.

I think we should just enjoy the match and not get too worked up either way. Give the team a chance.

To be honest, I don't think it'll be an indicator of our level regardless of the result (well...unless we win 6-0 or something ridicuous) look at last year where we looked excellent against Hamilton and went on to be incredibly shite.

I think we should just enjoy the match and not get too worked up either way. Give the team a chance.

Exactly my approach! Looking forward to the season [emoji815]️

I think it’s a massive game. If we got through we’d be guaranteed a seeded team in the next round. It could potentially set up the season financially.

That said, it’s a really difficult format. A loss tomorrow (like we had against Livi last year) and it would be a real struggle to get through.

Agree it’s one to enjoy and only get excited about the competition if we take 2 points or more.

yeah, it's a big game, Thistle always is. and you're right, we could get a big team if we progressed so there are some stakes to it. 

But would it be fair to say that we are going to be useless if we can't beat them? Or to increase expectations if we beat a team that has only played 2 closed door games so far?

That’s true, I was full hope after the Hamilton game last year. I certainly won’t be judging if we lose but it would nice to start off with a decent performance. It’s effectively pre season though. I’d rather use these games to ensure we’re ready for the league.

Need a striker.

Yet again, we were left to rue good chances that were squandered in the 1st half. Too reliant on Ally Roy as well. Thistle eventually got on top and turned it into a game of shooty-in, the goal coming from a fifth? successive corner kick.

Cannot fathom why we had Gallagher and Roy on the wings with Carrick in the centre from the start.

Looked totally toothless up front today and didn't really cause Partick any problems. The manager obviously hoped it would work, I'll be really disappointed if that's the lineup for the forthcoming season.

Carrick should never be playing as a central striker, he has proven he is not a goalscorer. Since he left Hearts 4 years ago he has averaged 4 goals a season and we have seen ourselves that his finishing is dreadful. That would be fine if he was able to lead the line physically, hold the ball up and link play, but he can't do that either.

If he has to play it should be on the right of a front 3 where he can use his pace and drive at people, and where there is less expectation on him to score goals or to link play with his back to goal. If we find the right role for him he could be an important player for us, and he's someond the fans will always back due to his effort, but he can't be playing through the middle.

50 minutes ago, Diamondatheart said:

Gallagher scored his most goals up top last year . We get him and play him on the wing and stick no goals Carrick in the middle.

We are famed for playing players out of position,we done it most of last season now first competitive game and our manager does it again ,it make no wonder player seem to be playing well then they come to us and are like different players not showing any past form .

Been away for a few weeks and missed today's game -so thanks to those who have posted.  The nature of the group set up means little can be predicted about our league prospects, I did notice that East Fife lost to Cowdenbeath today and many of the others were beaten so who knows what could happen. 

In my opinion the reason for playing todays formation was down to the midfield covering for the backs. Gallagher and Roy were in those positions to cover in defence where needed.

This reminded me however of Gary Bollan's sides which were defensively set up and  changed during the game when we went behind to a more attacking option. Nothing wrong with that but like Bollan's sides we lacked any bite up front. As a supporter I would like my team to have a go from the outset and take the game to the opposition. Today we could have started with Hawkshaw and O'reilly but left it untill we were chasing the game. This was not helped by having Carrick as the thrust of the attack. Love the player but like many others today..in the wrong position.

I don't think I'm too far off the mark here....the first player last year  to 'disappear' was Victoria...great goal scorer but not to keen to track back. C'mon let's be a bit more positive against Clyde..

I've just read about the Raith game 😂 their French saviour who was going to be a rock at the back for them had some debut.

At fault for a goal, and scissor kicked a guy in the head to give away a penalty. Lovely stuff.

1 hour ago, Moon said:

I've just read about the Raith game 😂 their French saviour who was going to be a rock at the back for them had some debut.

At fault for a goal, and scissor kicked a guy in the head to give away a penalty. Lovely stuff.

That's the type of player we are after .♦️♦️🙈🙈