The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Whats the script with hospitality this year? I took a group last year but seemed expensive for what you got at £100 a heedz Essentially a buffet curry (which was fine) and a few drinks.

https://www.airdriefc.com/1920news/Ryan-and-Scott-move-on 

Said my piece on him before, nothing personal against him but glad he's away. It's best for both parties. Shame it didn't work out for young Scott Thomson. Seemed like a good lad but if he's got the opportunity for regular first team games elsewhere then you can't argue with that. Best of luck to him. Curious to see where Conroy ends up now... 

Hopefully their freed up wages means we can bring in at least another player. Speaking of which hopefully the Page situation will be cleared up soon. Sounds like they're haggling over money as the club have made it quite clear they've no interest in keeping him on. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrieonians-defender-hits-out-diamonds-17369414 

Can't read too much, if anything at all, into friendlies but heard some encouraging stuff all the same. Having someone with a bit of composure on the ball and can actually play out the back in Kerr, could be a real difference maker this season. Our distribution, particularly from the back, was woeful last season, so that could really help us get up the park and ultimately score more often. Nice to hear Hawkshaw, Roberts and Roy all had decent games. A shame the trialist Cowan wasn't up to much. It's all pretty meaningless though - the real test will be once the League Cup starts. Was interesting to see Fordyce playing at right-back. Would have assumed he'd be playing in the middle of the back line so will be curious to see if that's where he ends up during the League Cup or if he just played there for this particular game. A bit of versatility and having the ability to change things during the course of a game will be helpful though. Are we using squad numbers this season btw?  

Would still say our strongest team would be something like - 

Hutton 

Fordyce Crighton Kerr Eckersley 

Wedderburn 

Roberts                         Hawkshaw 

Roy          Gallagher   Carrick 

Having a couple of wingers on the bench in Thomson and O'Reilly to change things up is a nice luxury to have this year too. Another forward and maybe one other addition and I think we'll be sweet. 

49 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Said my piece on him before, nothing personal against him but glad he's away. It's best for both parties. Shame it didn't work out for young Scott Thomson. Seemed like a good lad but if he's got the opportunity for regular first team games elsewhere then you can't argue with that. Best of luck to him. Curious to see where Conroy ends up now... 

Hopefully their freed up wages means we can bring in at least another player. Speaking of which hopefully the Page situation will be cleared up soon. Sounds like they're haggling over money as the club have made it quite clear they've no interest in keeping him on. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrieonians-defender-hits-out-diamonds-17369414 

Can't read too much, if anything at all, into friendlies but heard some encouraging stuff all the same. Having someone with a bit of composure on the ball and can actually play out the back in Kerr, could be a real difference maker this season. Our distribution, particularly from the back, was woeful last season, so that could really help us get up the park and ultimately score more often. Nice to hear Hawkshaw, Roberts and Roy all had decent games. A shame the trialist Cowan wasn't up to much. It's all pretty meaningless though - the real test will be once the League Cup starts. Was interesting to see Fordyce playing at right-back. Would have assumed he'd be playing in the middle of the back line so will be curious to see if that's where he ends up during the League Cup or if he just played there for this particular game. A bit of versatility and having the ability to change things during the course of a game will be helpful though. Are we using squad numbers this season btw?  

Hutton 

Wedderburn 

Having a couple of wingers on the bench in Thomson and O'Reilly to change things up is a nice luxury to have this year too. Another forward and maybe one other addition and I think we'll be sweet. 

In addition to Josh Kerrs passing, which was good even although a few longer range passing broke down due to poor control and first touch by Russell, seagal and Carrick, it looks  more promising even this early, rewind exactly 12 months and we were getting outplayed by Stirling ..  the 'trialist'. Cowan had a decent game in spells let down by poor movement and control by our front players with the exception of Roy and Thomson who both impressed especially in wide areas.

43 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Callum smith from Dunfermline in talks with us, assuming it’s a loan deal as he’s under contract

He's 19 and has been out on loan at Alloa and Arbroath and has only scored 3 goals since 2017.

I was hoping for a bit more in terms of experience and goal scoring record.

Hutton 
                   Wedderburn 
After reading that thing about Page, I wouldn't be massively averse to giving him a chance as a back up Centre Half. If his claims of now being fitter than EVERYONE in the squad are founded, and we're still paying him at the moment, then by all means, give him a crack in friendlies and maybe even a cup game or 2 to rotate folk, keep things fresh.

7 hours ago, Nipper said:

He's 19 and has been out on loan at Alloa and Arbroath and has only scored 3 goals since 2017.

I was hoping for a bit more in terms of experience and goal scoring record.

I'd agree, not really what I was expecting.

2 hours ago, Moon said:

I'd agree, not really what I was expecting.

This closes season had the largest amount of free agent footballers,   But in saying that there was a limited pool of available goalscoring strikers..  Henderson,  Buchanan, Jackson, Thomson etc all signed up, all that is left now is young unproven  not what you really want types or your DennyJohnstone and Connor Sammon aging mercenaries who need a gig  but don't really want to play league 1.......Looking at the current signed squads i would only say For far and East Fife have decent goalscoring strikeforces..  The rest including Airdrie i think will and still are at the moment going to struggle up front throughout the season.   With so many teams in a similar situation makes for a tight league.  Interesting season ahead..

23 minutes ago, Passionate said:

This closes season had the largest amount of free agent footballers,   But in saying that there was a limited pool of available goalscoring strikers..  Henderson,  Buchanan, Jackson, Thomson etc all signed up, all that is left now is young unproven  not what you really want types or your DennyJohnstone and Connor Sammon aging mercenaries who need a gig  but don't really want to play league 1.......Looking at the current signed squads i would only say For far and East Fife have decent goalscoring strikeforces..  The rest including Airdrie i think will and still are at the moment going to struggle up front throughout the season.   With so many teams in a similar situation makes for a tight league.  Interesting season ahead..

Falkirk have on paper made some really good signings in midfield and defence but I was reading a couple of days ago, they don't have a single striker signed up.

3 hours ago, Passionate said:

Agree with this ,won't matter how well we defend if we don't score goals ,first half on Tuesday was crying out for a goal striker ,I looks like the players will put in the work rate ,so come on  Mr Murray a striker is needed .

1 minute ago, Moon said:

Guy in the Falkirk thread says that they should be looking to win every game next season 😲

I mean....no one ever sets out to actually lose any....but come on man.

They’ll come crashing back down to an Earth with a bang on the 31st of August 🤪♦️♦️♦️