The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Moon said:

we must be close to being finished in terms of signings....I'd still really like a goal scorer though

I would think so. Murray said in his radio interview he wanted to bring in another  defender midfielder and forward. We've signed O'Reilly and Kerr since then so I'm guessing they're the defender and midfielder. Like you say an out and out goalscorer would be nice. I could see us maybe using the loan market again to pick up a striker. I would personally like another box-to-box type midfielder too unless Barrowman or any of the other youngsters are able to step up. 

46 minutes ago, goodwin said:

Any views on other club's squads? Falkirk made a few interesting signings, including Gregor Buchanan. Will they be the team to beat?

Definitely Falkirk's league to lose unless their ownership saga becomes an equalising factor. Haven't been overly impressed with Raith's business but they'll still be good enough to make the top 4. Thought Forfar would struggle after losing Easton, Reilly, Baird and Eckersley and while I'm not sure they'll be as good as they were last year I've been quite impressed with their business. Clyde fans seem to fancy themselves but I'm really not familiar with much of their squad at all. Can't say any of their signings have stood out to me but they could be decent. Think Peterhead will be meh and Dumbarton and Stranraer will struggle although it's still early days. 

Disappointed there's no Boxing Day or proper New Years' fixture but Falkirk at home on 28th December could be tasty if both teams are doing well. 

10 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

Tough start for us.

Forfar (H)
Montrose (A)
Clyde (H)
East Fife (A)
Falkirk (H)

Got my season ticket today so two away trips here won't stretch my disposable income. After last season's start I refuse to predict anything but the Falkirk game looks tasty. The squad looks refreshed from the slow paced chaps of last season.

8 hours ago, Diamond Oracle said:

We’ve got a nice run in for the title though:

Montrose (H)
Stranraer (A)
Peterhead (H)

:lol:

Agree the run in doesn't seem too bad last day at clyde,,,,    The "derby" fixture has us playing Falkirk delighted with that, thought the SPFL would pair is with Clyde though, thankfully not..   No wild predictions unlike last year I think we all. Have a "we won't be fooled again" type attitude so mine is Top 4...

What's the story with Jonathan Page?

Seems a strange move by McInally to sign another ageing player and pay money for him as well. Has hardly played for Airdrie, form or injuries?

McInally appears to rate him so that's all that matters.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/peterhead-fc/1779314/peterhead-hope-to-catch-falkirk-cold-in-league-1-opener/

Seems a strange move by McInally to sign another ageing player and pay money for him as well. Has hardly played for Airdrie, form or injuries?
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/peterhead-fc/1779314/peterhead-hope-to-catch-falkirk-cold-in-league-1-opener/

I imagine he’ll be available for a nominal fee, just to get him off the wage bill.

Came with a good reputation but just didn’t do it at Airdrie. He struggled to get in the team once Murray arrived, and was absolutely hopeless at times when he did play (albeit he was brought in for the last couple of games of the season and did okay by all accounts).

Glad to potentially be getting him off the wage bill as I can’t imagine he would have featured much this season. Only Conroy to go now!

2 hours ago, blueone said:

2 hours ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I imagine he’ll be available for a nominal fee, just to get him off the wage bill.

Came with a good reputation but just didn’t do it at Airdrie. He struggled to get in the team once Murray arrived, and was absolutely hopeless at times when he did play (albeit he was brought in for the last couple of games of the season and did okay by all accounts).

Glad to potentially be getting him off the wage bill as I can’t imagine he would have featured much this season. Only Conroy to go now!

TBH I thought he looked 'done' when he played for us. Don't know if he was carrying an injury(ies), if it was just his general fitness, training and playing on a plastic pitch or a combination of things but he genuinely looked physically incapable of playing a game of football at times. Someone on our fans' Facebook group said Page has said this himself but I've no idea the veracity of that statement. Murray hunted him out the team quickly and he wasn't even making the bench for probably most games after Christmas. And when he did he never came on. He'd still warm up with the team and he genuinely looked like a sad puppy at times. It was a wee shame. I didn't think he was very good when I saw him play for Dunfermline but he seemed to do well for himself at East Fife and came from there with a good reputation. Nothing against the guy and I hope he can get himself back on track but as others have said I'd be very glad to get him off the wage bill and totally remove the fear of him ever having to wear the diamond again. 

2 hours ago, Diamond Oracle said:

When I was checking about season ticket on wed. at stadium, casually said all I needed was Conroy to go. Two guys working in stadium (who I don't know) said he was merely training with us and had gone but to whom they knew not!  Page was never really fit and a big disappointment but good luck to him.

When I was checking about season ticket on wed. at stadium, casually said all I needed was Conroy to go. Two guys working in stadium (who I don't know) said he was merely training with us and had gone but to whom they knew not!  Page was never really fit and a big disappointment but good luck to him.

There must be a manager somewhere that fancies themselves to get the best out of Conroy!

His technical ability is a step above the average League One player, it’s just his physical attributes that lets him down.

There must be a manager somewhere that fancies themselves to get the best out of Conroy!

His technical ability is a step above the average League One player, it’s his physical attributes qnd he’s too slow,gives up to easy, Lazy that let’s him down

Fixed that for you [emoji854]