The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

3 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Wonder who we’ll get in the first game when the fixtures come out. Think we’ve started the last 3 seasons away from home, so going to predict that we’ll start off against Peterhead at home

Would hope as last seasons champions we would start our league fixtures at home at Balmoor for unfurling the flag.

5 hours ago, airdrieman said:

If he was genuinely about to sign for Stenny that would be the second player to burn them like that in this transfer window. An ITK type of the thread said he's got a few offers, including one from Alloa, so might not be a done deal for us yet either. 

I don't remember much about Thomson but think he's a target-man type player? Maybe not a 20 goal a season man either but perhaps with the right combination between him Carrick/Gallagher/Roy Murray and Millar think they can get a decent amount of goals between them. He's done well at this level before anyway and in the tier above previously with Dumbarton. 

I think at this level its it's always very difficult to find available strikers who can near enough guarantee you 20+ goals.  Most who have done that previously will either be playing in the Championship after getting their team promoted or they will be wanted by Championship teams...the likes of Andy Ryan and Kevin Nisbet are prime examples.  Also neither of them were prolific beforehand so as you say, it's more trying to find a group of strikers who are likely to hit a decent amount  between them with obviously the hope that one of them can have a really good season and hit the 20+ mark! 

1 minute ago, Red Diamond said:

I would imagine the boy would get a better deal elsewhere .

The problem we have now is all the decent strikers are signed up,  Henderson at Edinburgh City is still available but likely to resign with them,  We may have to go down the loan market and hope to get a gem that way,   as a play off chasing team we will need 60 goals minimum this season,  have we got that currently in our squad, looking at players recent form personally I doubt it.   But in saying that a few of our rivals look short on the strikers front also.

27 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Article says we've made contact with Connor Shields, previously of Albion Rovers and Sunderland - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/former-sunderland-player-aims-full-16537015

I dunno what makes me think it but I get the feeling the boy is looking for full time football.

Local press in Perth this morning says Airdrie are close to signing Saints winger Euan O'Reilly on a season-long loan, with accompanying quotes from Stuart Millar, who successfully negotiated a similar arrangement from Ali McCann at Stranraer last season. 

A right winger who spent much of last season on loan at BSC Glasgow. 

12 hours ago, Passionate said:

The problem we have now is all the decent strikers are signed up,  Henderson at Edinburgh City is still available but likely to resign with them,  We may have to go down the loan market and hope to get a gem that way,   as a play off chasing team we will need 60 goals minimum this season,  have we got that currently in our squad, looking at players recent form personally I doubt it.   But in saying that a few of our rivals look short on the strikers front also.

14 hours ago, DiamondJack85 said:

I think at this level its it's always very difficult to find available strikers who can near enough guarantee you 20+ goals.  Most who have done that previously will either be playing in the Championship after getting their team promoted or they will be wanted by Championship teams...the likes of Andy Ryan and Kevin Nisbet are prime examples.  Also neither of them were prolific beforehand so as you say, it's more trying to find a group of strikers who are likely to hit a decent amount  between them with obviously the hope that one of them can have a really good season and hit the 20+ mark! 

Based on their previous scoring records, at best you'd hope or expect for - 

Gallagher - 15 goals 

Carrick - 5-10 goals 

Russell - 5+ goals 

Roy - Bit of an unknown quantity. Never been prolific anywhere but then he's never really got the chance or had a proper run of games anywhere either. I suppose the hope is that he will come good and get at least 12-15 goals. A breakout season ala Andy Ryan or Kevin Nisbet would be just grand though. 

Shields got 12 goals in 30 games for a relegated Albion Rovers side which is a very good return IMO. I think he (or Thomson) would have been a good signing but can't really begrudge either of them their move. Hopefully we can still find a gem from somewhere though. 

I expect we'll be hoping for more goals from midfield this season too which was another real problem last season. Wilkie got 7 which wasn't a bad return I don't think, and Conroy 5, albeit I don't think he scored any after the first quarter of the season? Gallagher and Millar got 1 between them, Stewart got 3 and Sean McIntosh got 1 in one of the meaningless end of season games. Again not a particularly great return. Roberts scored a couple of beauties for Queen's Park last season so you'd hope he'd be amongst the goals for us. Likewise Hawkshaw should be in the right areas of the park to grab a few. Don't think Millar and Wedderburn will score many if at all but you'd hope Craig Thomson and O'Reilly (if signed), being wingers, will contribute. 

That's all conjecture though. 

Signing another winger is interesting. Wonder if we'd play a 4 man midfield with two proper wingers? Not sure that would totally suit us best but Murray and Millar seem to know what they're doing. 

31 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Roy - Bit of an unknown quantity. Never been prolific anywhere but then he's never really got the chance or had a proper run of games anywhere either. I suppose the hope is that he will come good and get at least 12-15 goals. A breakout season ala Andy Ryan or Kevin Nisbet would be just grand though. 

I'd expect Roy to play out wide. I don't think he's positionally good enough to play up top. Out wide he offers great pace and a willingness to take folk on but he always looks very raw. Down side to him playing wide is that he does very little defensive work, but with Wedderburn in defensive midfield that might not be an issue for you if he can cover when things break down. 

I'm confident Gallagher will bag you more than 15 goals if he plays up front all season.

2 hours ago, waysider said:

I read that Ryan had signed a new contract at Dunfermline.

Was your holiday good mate, things you also missed while you were away...brexit still not happened and it looks like Boris is going to be PM, although he is still mulling over an offer from Dunfermline too.

10 hours ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

Very good young player great engine and a bit of pace too...Nothing guaranteed but I reckon he will do very well for you.

Completely agree. He was outstanding at BSC. A very exciting player to watch and clearly able to play at a much higher level. My only complaint was we didn't have him for longer.

11 minutes ago, AFC1878 said:

Not on FB. Are the club now using it as an official media outlet or is SM using his personal account?

His personal account on the fans group. Someone was speculating on various possible players we had been linked to and he was on saying Oreilly was the only one with any truth in it. Has been in there a few times and always seems to answer things quite candidly if asked. I like it tbh.