The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

We've just signed Sean mclntosh what's he like airdrie fans ?

Marmite.

Went missing for a long time and put in a couple of shifts at the tail end of last season. I didn’t mind him. Steady no thrills and decent passer. Could be a player if he finds a position

1 hour ago, waysider said:

There is a lengthy and excellent obituary of Lawrie Leslie on page 39 of today’s Scotsman. Sorry I don’t have the skills to put it on here. A good read, especially for those who never saw him play.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/obituaries/obituary-lawrie-leslie-former-scotland-goalkeeper-who-famously-missed-9-3-drubbing-by-england-1-4947451

1 hour ago, diamonds2002 said:

Very interesting article, I never thought Airdrie spent very much on bringing players to the club back then, £4,000 is equivalent to £91,400 at today's prices, but again adjusting for inflation, they got the equivalent of £306,125.98 when they sold him. a tidy piece of business

Oh! and it now can be revealed that it was the typically dirty tactics of Ayr United that resulted in the 9-3 defeat by England.

Very interesting article, I never thought Airdrie spent very much on bringing players to the club back then, £4,000 is equivalent to £91,400 at today's prices, but again adjusting for inflation, they got the equivalent of £306,125.98 when they sold him. a tidy piece of business
Oh! and it now can be revealed that it was the typically dirty tactics of Ayr United that resulted in the 9-3 defeat by England.

Well wee paid 175k for Owen Coyle in 1990 which in today’s market is 390,733.67 pounds

8 hours ago, diamonds2002 said:

One of Airdrie's legends. I remember his bravery in those days and have a distant memory of us beating Motherwell with his shot stopping. I always thought he was given a free transfer by Hibs due to his injuries and was surprised to learn a fee was involved. Sad day for his family and condolences to them. 

One of Airdrie's legends. I remember his bravery in those days and have a distant memory of us beating Motherwell with his shot stopping. I always thought he was given a free transfer by Hibs due to his injuries and was surprised to learn a fee was involved. Sad day for his family and condolences to them. 

I think I was at that Motherwell game at Fir Park. Laurie Leslie was unbeatable that day. In particular I remember a header by Charlie Aitken Motherwell’a right half (#4) from a corner on the main stand side at the away end which was heading for the top left hand postage stamp like a bullet when Laurie managed to get fingertips to it and put it round the post. He made innumerable saves that day. I can’t remember if we won or drew but we certainly didn’t lose - all because of him.
Incredible goalkeeper so sad to hear of his passing.

1 hour ago, weigh cider said:

I think I was at that Motherwell game at Fir Park. Laurie Leslie was unbeatable that day. In particular I remember a header by Charlie Aitken Motherwell’a right half (#4) from a corner on the main stand side at the away end which was heading for the top left hand postage stamp like a bullet when Laurie managed to get fingertips to it and put it round the post. He made innumerable saves that day. I can’t remember if we won or drew but we certainly didn’t lose - all because of him.
Incredible goalkeeper so sad to hear of his passing.

We won 1-0 and it was the quarter final of the cup. The save you refer to was in the last minute. Our goal was scored by Tommy Duncan with almost our only shot of the game!

12 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

Reports on the Stenny thread that we have signed Thomson whonwas at training on Saturday, although they seemed pretty confident that they had signed him.

the MoJo of Airdrie.

Stenny must be offering some dosh if they thought they could sign him? 

I don’t think Thomson is the kind of forward we need and I think we’re unlikely to sign him. Murray said he’s going to sign one more striker, and you’d hope it’d be the goal scoring type and not the “hard working”/ “does a job for the team” type which we already have a few of in Gallagher/ Russell/ Carrick/ Roy.

If he was genuinely about to sign for Stenny that would be the second player to burn them like that in this transfer window. An ITK type of the thread said he's got a few offers, including one from Alloa, so might not be a done deal for us yet either. 

I don't remember much about Thomson but think he's a target-man type player? Maybe not a 20 goal a season man either but perhaps with the right combination between him Carrick/Gallagher/Roy Murray and Millar think they can get a decent amount of goals between them. He's done well at this level before anyway and in the tier above previously with Dumbarton. 

42 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Wonder who we’ll get in the first game when the fixtures come out. Think we’ve started the last 3 seasons away from home, so going to predict that we’ll start off against Peterhead at home

Think Forfar away is the tradition but think I'll stick to my motto in life which is anyone but Clyde.

Wonder who we’ll get in the first game when the fixtures come out. Think we’ve started the last 3 seasons away from home, so going to predict that we’ll start off against Peterhead at home
Think Forfar away is the tradition but think I'll stick to my motto in life which is anyone but Clyde.
Wouldn't mind dumbarton at home to kick off the season