The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

Another really good signing by the looks of it, turned down a new contract at Celtic to sign for Brighton 2 years ago so must be a decent player with plenty of potential. Says hes been on loan to Derry City for the past few months as well so good to see hes been getting some first team experience.

Really think our squad is shaping up quite well so far, we seem to have targeted guys who are in their early 20's and are on their way upwards in their careers whilst still having a core of experienced players in the likes of Hutton, Crighton, Fordyce, Eckersley, Wedderburn and Millar. Also good to see we have been addressing the lack of pace we had in the team last year...our home park cries out for some players with pace so guys like Thomson, Roy and Gallagher should be ideal.

4 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

Could potentially be a very good piece of business. Highly rated by all accounts. Let's just hope he's not the next Jack McKay :lol: 

3 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

https://www.airdriefc.com/1920news/Diamonds-gear-up-for-an-exciting-season

More positive communication, fair play to the club at the moment!

That all sounds positive too. Will be interesting to see what changes and developments have been made. Sounds like it's all been professionalised, maybe some of the staff are going to be full-time too? And I didn't even we know we had a scouting 'department' (what a piss poor job they done last season if that's the case) so any changes in that regard is a big plus. 

Thought Murray came across well in that interview on the radio. Well spoken, professional and ambitious for the club too. He said he wanted another defender (not sure if that includes Josh Kerr), midfielder and striker. I think we're sorted in defence with Kerr coming in but I agree with him about getting another midfielder and striker. A box-to-box type would be ideal. He seemed to indicate in the interview that he didn't think Cammy Russell was quite ready yet so I could definitely see them try to get another striker in. 

Great to see such honest, open and in-depth communication from the club. 

Speaking of which I had to laugh at the savage honesty of "There hasn't been a huge interest in both of them to be brutally honest" when talking about Conroy and Page. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/transfer-listed-airdrieonians-defender-comes-16498261 

Hope someone takes them off our hands eventually although fair play to Page for coming in and training I suppose. 

11 new players,roll on new season .league won by Christmas.happy days .[emoji460]️[emoji460]️[emoji815]️[emoji815]️

Be very cautious takes time for a new team to gell wait to near the end of the before making rash statements look what happened last season.I hope the fans buy the season tickets and get behind Ian Murray and the board onward and upwards.

https://www.airdriefc.com/1920news/19%2F20-season-tickets

This would have been a good chance to drop the prices and get folk on board. Unless the board hold the same opinion previously held by Ballantyne that you’re going to get the same folk turning up regardless of the price so reducing the price would reduce the revenue from gate receipts.

This would have been a good chance to drop the prices and get folk on board. Unless the board hold the same opinion previously held by Ballantyne that you’re going to get the same folk turning up regardless of the price so reducing the price would reduce the revenue from gate receipts.

Winning teams will get fans back not just the prices!

I'll be renewing my season ticket on my return from holiday. Looking forward to this season (as I was last season and the season before that). 

I was on a bit of  a downer given the sidelining of the supporters trust and I think the owners are missing a trick not getting them on board and utilising all that community and charity work experience and their success in raising the profile of the club both locally and nationally. A lot of good people only with the clubs best interests at heart. 

While I still have nagging doubts about the owners especially how they are going to fund it all, the pace of the change has been impressive - the turnover of playing staff in both getting guys out the door and the early recruitment is something we haven't seen for a long while. It remains to be seen if the signings match the expectation, they didn't last year. The communication with the supporters utilising social media is night and day compared to some previous regimes and it's a breath of fresh air. The manager and director of fitbaw all saying the right things and bringing an air of positivity. 

I'll be backing them to the hilt and expect to take in a lot more away games also this year but there is still that wee bit of me that is still expecting it to go pete tong.

See in this news item that free season tickets for kids can be registered to any season ticket holder.  Thought it had to be every ticket had an adult season ticket?

if that’s the case then that is a great scheme and will allow every kid a chance to get one for free.

really excited about new season and hopefully we can finish high up the league, if jot

top!!

Not sure if you are joking but three seasons ago Montrose were one game from going out the league completely which they would have struggled to come back from. They then won the league despite not being expected to. They were then predicted to finish bottom of the league and get relegated. They absolutely should celebrate getting into the play offs. Had it not been for Stephen Dobbie then they might have gone up.

I really don’t think we should be looking to slag any club especially Montrose who are one of the best run clubs in Scotland.

Seriously, what are you talking about? I didn’t slag Montrose or comment on how they are run as a club. I stated that finishing in the play offs and not getting promoted has the same result as finishing eg 5th. Which for me is failure (looking at it from an Airdrie perspective - I’m sure eg Raith will feel the same). It was a response to a Montrose fan having a dig that they finished above us. My opinion is it doesn’t matter unless you go up. I’ll feel exactly the same this season.
For the record I’m more than aware of Montrose’s recent history and give them the utmost respect. However if Airdrie do what they did last season I won’t be celebrating. We need out this league.

16 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Looks a good bit of business!

Josh is correct on official site that he now needs to be playing games. Loads of young players like him who sign with big clubs then disappear into oblivion lets hope he can kick on but he has it all to prove, even at our level.

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Josh is correct on official site that he now needs to be playing games. Loads of young players like him who sign with big clubs then disappear into oblivion lets hope he can kick on but he has it all to prove, even at our level.

This is part of what annoys me about the colt team discussion.  Larger clubs, such as the OF teams, snap up the the lion's share of the good prospects under the pretence of offering the best coaching and facilities to help their development, knowing full well that none of this is any use without competitive game time alongside experienced players.  The young players are happy to go along with this because they can earn a better salary in Celtic's youth team than they would earn in the 1st team squad of a Championship or League One team.

Maybe if we were serious about developing youth in this country we'd look at ways of supporting clubs in the lower divisions so that they could suitable coaching / facilities while simultaneously giving those young prospects the playing time they need to develop.

34 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

This is part of what annoys me about the colt team discussion.  Larger clubs, such as the OF teams, snap up the the lion's share of the good prospects under the pretence of offering the best coaching and facilities to help their development, knowing full well that none of this is any use without competitive game time alongside experienced players.  The young players are happy to go along with this because they can earn a better salary in Celtic's youth team than they would earn in the 1st team squad of a Championship or League One team.

Maybe if we were serious about developing youth in this country we'd look at ways of supporting clubs in the lower divisions so that they could suitable coaching / facilities while simultaneously giving those young prospects the playing time they need to develop.

Amen to this!

Seriously, what are you talking about? I didn’t slag Montrose or comment on how they are run as a club. I stated that finishing in the play offs and not getting promoted has the same result as finishing eg 5th. Which for me is failure (looking at it from an Airdrie perspective - I’m sure eg Raith will feel the same). It was a response to a Montrose fan having a dig that they finished above us. My opinion is it doesn’t matter unless you go up. I’ll feel exactly the same this season.
For the record I’m more than aware of Montrose’s recent history and give them the utmost respect. However if Airdrie do what they did last season I won’t be celebrating. We need out this league.

You were essentially saying they had no right to celebrate finishing 4th because, in the end, they failed to get promoted. I disagreed as they absolutely should be celebrating. They would have celebrated 8th so to finish 4th was class.

Airdrie should be disappointed with how we finished because we were expected to at least get to the play offs. Our expectations were completely different to Montrose hence why it cant be classed as the same as “they ultimately failed”.

It will be the same this season. If Airdrie finished 5th and Montrose finished 6th then i would suggest airdrie fans wont be happy but Montrose would be happy with this (i think).

As a concession customer I am quite happy at the season ticket price and will renew . I wondered if they had a different price for getting your favourite seat? The full price for one off attendance has gone up but I suppose a six year freeze had to end some time. As to attracting /keeping punters in that price range , it will depend on how bold the team prospects are.  As said winning teams are more appealing.