The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I don’t understand why so many people have opinions either good or very bad of the players we have signed.  I had never heard of any of the players we have recently signed until people started talking about them on here. I am an Airdrie  supporter and when I go to the games I go to watch Airdrie .  The only players of opposition teams I recognise are ones that are very obvious or ones who have previously played for us. How do so many people know about the players we have recently signed from Motherwell , Queen of the South, Queens Park and Brechin  for example? Has anyone ever seen them play ?

I’m genuinely quite happy with the signings so far. I think we have the makings of a really good team. A solid defence, with hard working midfield and front line with pace and power going forward. Cant complain. Plus, I still think we will add another few players, especially once we offload a couple still hanging round. Most of all though, I think I just believe we’ve the right management team in Murray and Millar. The best we’ve had in a good while IMO. Looking forward to the start of the season. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Doolan would have been a cracking signing but with clubs at a higher level making him offers it was always unlikely he was going to sign for us. Glad the club went for him though, says a lot about our ambitions. Roy never really seems to have set the heather alight anywhere he's went but maybe a run of games at a low level of football will give him the confidence to kick on. It's certainly the last chance for him to make an impression at a full-time level. Thistle fans don't like him which means I like him already. 

Good signing that IMO. A hard-working player and although he's maybe not a 20-goal a season striker still a decent enough finisher at this level. A good replacement for Leighton McIntosh and hopefully better. As the post above says Gallagher, Carrick and Roy will work defences hard. 

I think Wedderburn is a good signing too. I know Raith fans don't seem to rate him but Dunfermline fans speak quite highly of him and he's spent most of his career so far at a higher level. He's definitely an upgrade on Millar and Gallagher and if he can pass a ball and retain possession, which even Raith fans admit he can, then he's certainly better than anyone we've had in the midfield for the last couple of seasons. I would expect Roberts, Hawkshaw and Millar will be doing most of the running in midfield. If they do that and let Nat do his thing he should be fine. 

I know we were rumoured to be signing Craig Barr but it looks like he's signing for Cowdenbeath. Interestingly, while it could be nothing, Chris Kane (the ex East Fife player) liked the club's tweet about us signing Wedderburn...

I think he might have been at Cowdenbeath with Wedderburn?

Gallagher could be a good signing but I’m not overly enthused by the other two signings. I’ll trust Miller and Murray’s judgement for the time being.

And I know it’s a bit random, but I take it the stadium aren’t replacing the tunnel.

The truth is I've no idea about any of the signings so far. Eckersley and Roberts are the two I'm most happy with given they've had universally good reviews from opposition fans.

The Wedderburn signing gives me the fear. I can't remember watching him against us, which maybe tells you about the required level of alcohol consumption needed to watch the Diamonds in the last few years, or maybe that he's not a stand out. Either way, if we wanted someone slow who can spay a pass about, we've got Conroy. The same level of hit and miss reviews came with him, hence the fear. However, maybe Murray can find a formation which gives him some space and he doesn't need to do the running.....

That said, nice to get business done early doors.  This will be Murray's first free hit at it and now those that don't rate him can start to cast a critical eye over his choices. Hopefully that won't happen and we've challenging at the right end of the table, with what looks - so far -  a fairly youthful outfit.

4 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

The truth is I've no idea about any of the signings so far. Eckersley and Roberts are the two I'm most happy with given they've had universally good reviews from opposition fans.

The Wedderburn signing gives me the fear. I can't remember watching him against us, which maybe tells you about the required level of alcohol consumption needed to watch the Diamonds in the last few years, or maybe that he's not a stand out. Either way, if we wanted someone slow who can spay a pass about, we've got Conroy. The same level of hit and miss reviews came with him, hence the fear. However, maybe Murray can find a formation which gives him some space and he doesn't need to do the running.....

That said, nice to get business done early doors.  This will be Murray's first free hit at it and now those that don't rate him can start to cast a critical eye over his choices. Hopefully that won't happen and we've challenging at the right end of the table, with what looks - so far -  a fairly youthful outfit.

Conroy  linked with Montrose .???

13 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I would expect or hope for another defender/centre-half to come in as back-up for Crighton and Fordyce (maybe Chris Kane?). I wouldn't say no to another striker either. Page is rumoured to be signing for Stranraer. Haven't heard anything at all about Conroy. 

With the squad we have now I would lineup something like - 

Hutton 

MacDonald Fordyce Crighton Eckersley 

Wedderburn 

Roberts                                     Hawkshaw 

Carrick              Roy               Gallagher 

Subs - Edwards, Millar, C.Thomson, Russell, Gallacher, Ross/Leighton, Barrowman/S.Thomson. 

That many new signing's what MacDonald is that !!!

I've totally lost the place with who would be first team or reserves :lol:

Wish I could just relax and enjoy the signing news like everybody else but last year still looms large....I was totally taken in with the positive comments about the squad we had assembled etc so I'm waiting till I see them with my own eyes this time. It's the hope that kills you.

Also amazing the contrast between the on the field stuff and off the field stuff. And that's ignoring the Trust side of things.

Still, looks really promising but maybe still needing a striker? Carrick, Gallagher, Roy, Cammy Russell(?) for the first team?

52 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Can we all make a pact that if any Montrose fans ask if he’s any good we say aye he’s amazing? Just until we're definitely shot of him. Don’t want to jinx any moves...... 

Would not like to bet on the outcome of a race between Conroy or Wedderburn ⚽️⚽️

I think you've always got to be cautious about other fans views on players. It sometimes just doesn't work out for certain players at certain clubs. We've signed players in the past that have had a good reputation and they've been useless with us. Conversely, we've signed players that other fans think are rubbish and they've been decent with us. Just have to wait and see how they pan out and hope that Murray & Miller have got it right. 

16 minutes ago, GableEnder21 said:
2 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:
Can we all make a pact that if any Montrose fans ask if he’s any good we say aye he’s amazing? Just until we're definitely shot of him. Don’t want to jinx any moves...... 

He any good?

brilliant mate, game changer.