The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

We've s igned Scott Stewart. Said when he was listed I'd have taken him, seems to have had a weird last year with you guys though, seemed to be a real favourite to a guy you were pretty meh about. How come?

I liked Scott Stewart always gave 100per cent don't really no what his best position is sorry to see him go but championship is a bit of a step up hope he does well.

Unlike a lot of folk, I'm a bit "meh" about Stewart going. Has the weirdest, slow-looking-but-actually-quite-quick running style.

Occasionally very good. Occasionally very, very bad.

His name gave him a lot of slack that other players might not have got. Probably best for both parties that he moves on.

• Moon changed the title to The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond
16 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

Unlike a lot of folk, I'm a bit "meh" about Stewart going. Has the weirdest, slow-looking-but-actually-quite-quick running style.

Occasionally very good. Occasionally very, very bad.

His name gave him a lot of slack that other players might not have got. Probably best for both parties that he moves on.

Just wait until you see Calum Gallagher in an Airdrie kit.

19 hours ago, lichtiekev said:

Scott Stewart signed for us, is he capable of the step up?

19 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We've s igned Scott Stewart. Said when he was listed I'd have taken him, seems to have had a weird last year with you guys though, seemed to be a real favourite to a guy you were pretty meh about. How come?

I'm sad to see Scotty go. A cracking player on his day who can get up and down the park, go on marauding runs and is a bit of a goal threat. His final ball isn't great but with coaching that should get better and even then, he still drives with the ball into the box, can get by a man and generally put the ball into dangerous areas of the park. I don't think we ever got the best out of him at Airdrie. On a bad day though he can be horrendous. Looks totally inept and bereft of any ability or confidence when he's having one of those days. He has the ability and potential to make the step up and I hope he does so on a consistent basis for Arbroath. Best of luck to him. 

19 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:

What's MacDonald like? We've just got shot of a bomb scare on loan. Do we relax or maintain our levels of nervous tension?

MacDonald isn't a player I would expect to win the league with but he's 'fine' for this level of football. Great at driving forward with the ball but he has no end product whatsoever so nothing ever really comes of it. He can get up and down the park but I think he's suspect defensively. Not quite a bomb scare but he often gets the fundamentals wrong - being out of position, being the wrong side of the attacking player, not picking up his man at set pieces etc. Oddly enough he was actually better when he played on the left-hand side of a back three and given I don't think he was ever part of a decent defence at Airdrie until last season, maybe he's better when he's playing in an organised system and/or with competent players beside him. He's a reliable player too, rarely suspended or injured. I think last season was the only time he was ever injured for a period of time in 3 and half years of playing for Airdrie. During his time at Airdrie, we've finished 5th, 3rd, 7th and 5th. I think that's about his level. He should do a competent enough job for you but I don't think he'd be able to make the step up if you did get promoted. Definitely, think we've got the better end of the bargain with Eckersley coming in (and I would say young Edwards is a better player too). 

In terms of what Scotty offered the side I feel that we will probably replace him with someone equally as good. He was never a right back and was forced into that position. As a right midfielder his final ball improved to average. Where he scored was in using his height and physique with boundess energy. He stopped other sides pressing us down that side, and in my opinion that is why Arbroath signed him. I wish him all the best, he gave 100% every time he pulled the shirt on.

Interesting. Hadn't heard the Carswell link at all but obviously, we've been linked to Gallagher for a wee bit now. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrieonians-boss-ian-murray-rules-16248818 

(Cue us announcing Gallagher and Carswell tomorrow). 

I still think we need a couple of strikers, a couple of midfielders (a holding midfielder and a box-to-box type to replace Stewart) and ideally another centre-half. 

Edited by airdrieman

3 hours ago, airdrieman said:

That's the League Cup fixtures out. https://spfl.co.uk/news/betfred-cup-group-stage-fixtures-45802 

Thistle (a) 13th July 

Clyde (a)* 21st July *game being played at Hamilton

Queen's Park (h) 24th July 

Accies (h) 27th July 

Thistle away only game worth going to and I'm going to miss it haha. 

Will also miss Thistle game. Does anyone know why are Clyde games not at Broadwood?  

1 minute ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

I’m not sure, before my time!! Not to make you feel old or that :unsure2:

No offence taken at all. My first ever Airdrie game was at Douglas park in the late 1950s . You missed the Shawfield experience of an Airdrie v Clyde game.  before they had their Gypsy years of playing at loads of grounds (Firhill certainly) after the Dog racing owners turfed them out. It can all be googled but I don't want to give them too much sympathy.