The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Barr is a great signing IF he can stay fit (that always seems to be a concern). Wedderburn has never stood out. Don’t know much about Fordyce but suggestion on Queens thread is he’s a player - although not looked the same since being badly injured. Time will tell but good to see experience now being signed up.

Where would you play him but in a back three or as a holding mid?

Christ. Hutton plus Eckersley, Fordyce & Crighton... All we need now is a right back and we’ll be on track for conceding about 10 goals next season.

Just looked back at our defensive record once Murray was appointed and we conceded an average of almost exactly one goal per game, which is pretty impressive and was the best in the league.

Happy with progress to date on structure and signings. We are at least doing the work and doing it early. I'm sure that M&M know we need strikers and fingers crossed that'll come.

Communications have improved and I'd say are now excellent.

Only thing I'd like to see progress on is what Steve Clark called, in his Killie resignation speech, ' the disconnect between the board and the fans' . I think he may have called it the most important thing.  To this end I'd like to see peace made between the board and the trust. 

Once we are all pulling in the same direction we will do well.

32 minutes ago, bbbbb said:

Only thing I'd like to see progress on is what Steve Clark called, in his Killie resignation speech, ' the disconnect between the board and the fans' . I think he may have called it the most important thing.  To this end I'd like to see peace made between the board and the trust. 

Once we are all pulling in the same direction we will do well.

Don't think that will happen as the "Community Trust" is now doing lots of what the "Supporters Trust" used to do.....without any fan involvement.

53 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Barr would be a really good signing, if he can keep relatively injury-free.

Interested to see if he's signing up as full time or part time.  Training part time seemed to help his niggling injuries clear up a wee bit, but he's still susceptible to a 4 monther on the sidelines at any given time though. 

13 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

Don't think that will happen as the "Community Trust" is now doing lots of what the "Supporters Trust" used to do.....without any fan involvement.

Yup, noticed that with the "free kids season ticket announcement".

https://www.airdriefc.com/seasontickets-310519

It says it's funded by the Allstars charity game.

I don't know whether Naveed and Co knew that this is what was planned when they signed up for the charity game but, if they weren't, I feel slightly uneasy about the community trust (i.e., effectively the the club themselves) taking a decision that the proceeds will be used in a way that commercially benefits the club.

8 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Yup, noticed that with the "free kids season ticket announcement".

https://www.airdriefc.com/seasontickets-310519

It says it's funded by the Allstars charity game.

I don't know whether Naveed and Co knew that this is what was planned when they signed up for the charity game but, if they weren't, I feel slightly uneasy about the community trust (i.e., effectively the the club themselves) taking a decision that the proceeds will be used in a way that commercially benefits the club.

I'm not ITK with these things but to a casual observer it looks like PH has seen the work the Trust has done, the money generated, and rather than going to the Supporters Trust with a begging bowl, he's decided to do some that work himself.

I'm sure there will be noses out of joint in the Supporters Trust and they look to be completely sidelined. Whether or not you think that's a bad thing, there's no doubt the supporters won't be involved in any of the decision making at the club.

For the vast majority, it matters not a jot if we get a decent brand of football on the park and have a reasonable shot at promotion....

15 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Good thing done by the club, yet people try to look behind it and come up with a conspiracy. Looking forward to the supporters trust next statement.

Don't think it's very conspiratorial to suggest that the Community Trust is doing some of what the Supporters Trust used to do, and now the money goes direct to the club in the form of free season books for youngsters, instead of being held by the Supporters Trust.

In fact it's fairly Black and White......

Edited by Pesadilla

Don't think it's very conspitatorial to suggest that the Community Trust is doing some of what the Supporters Trust used to do, and now the money goes direct to the club in the form of free season books for youngsters, instead of being held by the Supporters Trust.
In fact it's fairly Black and White......
You and I both know that there a certain band of fans on here and across the media networks that will think differently. Some may even be petty enough to not get involved.

20 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

For the vast majority, it matters not a jot if we get a decent brand of football on the park and have a reasonable shot at promotion....

I'm not ITK either so don't have a clue what the truth of the situation is, and I'm sure that you're right that the majority don't care and, while I'm not against charity activities raising money directly for the benefit of the club (i'd be happy to contribute myself), I'd be a lot more comfortable if there was greater transparency around the Community Trust's structure and its goals.

Edited by stuartcraig

9 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Good thing done by the club, yet people try to look behind it and come up with a conspiracy. Looking forward to the supporters trust next statement.

And for every conspiracy theorist there will be someone willing to believe that I'm a Nigerian prince who has 30 million USD I need to transfer to a UK bank account so please send me your banking details.

Good point Stevie Wonder. However looking at it sensibly, it’s a worse scheme (u13’s only eligible with an adult season ticket), it’s the club raising money to hand to itself and it’s the new club Community Trust preventing the actual Trust from running a scheme they have done for years.

6 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

And for every conspiracy theorist there will be someone willing to believe that I'm a Nigerian prince who has 30 million USD I need to transfer to a UK bank account so please send me your banking details.

Ah! so it is you, thought that all along! Still waiting for the money though...

1 minute ago, Old Diamond said:

There was a fella who now stays in OZ who strung out one of these characters for weeks on end. Posted every response on another Airdrie website long before the days of the likes of Joe Lycett doing it. Was a great read.

2 minutes ago, Old Diamond said:

Yeah, sorry about that.

To compensate you for your inconvenience I have sent you a bottle of oil created from snake glands which will cure all of your ailments, from gout to baldness.

37 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Good point Stevie Wonder. However looking at it sensibly, it’s a worse scheme (u13’s only eligible with an adult season ticket), it’s the club raising money to hand to itself and it’s the new club Community Trust preventing the actual Trust from running a scheme they have done for years.

From the little I know, it seems that the club felt that the supporters trust was doing too much community work and not enough directly for the club (therefore somewhat ironic they formed the Community Trust). I believe the Mongolian trip and associated fundraising is particularly frowned upon.

Regardless of this, both sides need to come together as we are far too small a club to be split. I have no axe to grind with Paul H but there are some fantastic people on the supporters trust with nothing but the club at heart.

Can't be bothered too look for it to post but Tranmere chairman Mark Palios did a great interview after their play off win highlighting the importance of the fans

It was a good thing already being done by the supporters trust so why the need to have everything "in-house". A need to control everything isn't necessarily a good thing, just ask any person in a controlling abusive relationship how that works out for them.