The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Callum Fordyce was an excellent defender when he first signed for us. Good leader and he was made captain.  He had a terrible injury that kept him out for a long time and never got back in the team. Not sure how things went at Queens but I believe he played right back at times for them. Much better CB. Not the quickest but a good defender.

4 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

Fair play pal emoji482.png,Cracking signing

Reasonable build up of the squad. It looks like we will be having a back 4 for most games?  As for Calum Gallagher he was certainly  a pacy striker whenever I saw him ( I think I saw him at Stirling when he was on loan for Rangers five years ago as an impressive young player) He is like McIntosh so I hope he is to be supported up front with? Carrick? Cammy Russell? a marquee signing! It is good to see the club putting out the news.

Barr is a great signing IF he can stay fit (that always seems to be a concern). Wedderburn has never stood out. Don’t know much about Fordyce but suggestion on Queens thread is he’s a player - although not looked the same since being badly injured. Time will tell but good to see experience now being signed up.

I missed all the games v Raith last season so don't think I've ever seen Wedderburn play before but I think he'd certainly be an upgrade on Millar and Gallagher from last season. He's done reasonably well at a higher level so hopefully, he'd do a job for us. 

There are several question marks over his fitness but no doubt Craig Barr would be an outstanding signing. I don't think we could hang our hat on him to play every week but even getting more than half the season out of him would be a good return. I do think we need another centre half (or maybe two if Fordyce is a bit injury prone and if we sign Barr given his previous injury history) and at least one holding midfielder (ideally two) so Barr and Wedderburn would certainly fit that bill. Hopefully, some news soon on a decent striker or two as well. 

Edited by airdrieman

Folk on Twitter wailing and weeping last week, with the season barely finished. Creaming their collective pants this week after a couple of decent "on paper" signings.

Fickle bunch.

Although it's looking promising, I'd still place us nowhere near contenders for the top spot and would caution that the likes of Robertson and Page came to us rated highly.

Folk on Twitter wailing and weeping last week, with the season barely finished. Creaming their collective pants this week after a couple of decent "on paper" signings.

In fairness, that’s just Twitter in general. Every thread is dialled up to 11.

A Buddie told me the other day that Eckersley runs his own martial arts school. Based on that fact alone, I reckon he has the potential to join the list of legendary Airdrie left backs.

8 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

Fickle bunch.

Although it's looking promising, I'd still place us nowhere near contenders for the top spot and would caution that the likes of Robertson and Page came to us rated highly.

What I actually find hilarious is the ones who’ve looked for every possible opportunity to moan about the club, lack of communication, signings etc, who’ve now all but vanished when the good news comes. Can’t even comment on the positives. There’s fickle, but then there’s sheer backwards.