The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

There’s been plenty moans on the Facebook page recently regarding the current signings lack of experience etc.

If we do sign Eckersley, how long do you give it before someone moans that he’s too old? 

Pre Empting complaints when people haven't actually said anything.

It really does seem like Airdrie fans will moan about everything.

The way it was explained to me (which I may not have stated clearly when I put it in whichever story I put it in) was that rather than having a first-team squad and a reserve squad like last season, we now have one "senior" squad from which both first-team and reserve sides will be picked.

All of the signings announced since the end of the season are joining this squad, so we now have four "senior" goalies - equivalent to having two first-team goalies and two reserve goalies last season.

I've probably still not made a great job of explaining that.

The way it was explained to me (which I may not have stated clearly when I put it in whichever story I put it in) was that rather than having a first-team squad and a reserve squad like last season, we now have one "senior" squad from which both first-team and reserve sides will be picked.
All of the signings announced since the end of the season are joining this squad, so we now have four "senior" goalies - equivalent to having two first-team goalies and two reserve goalies last season.
If that's the idea it sort of makes sense really. Might give guys like Barrownan (if hes still there) a better chance. Is there anything else imminent, or can't you say?

54 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:
1 hour ago, el Gringo said:

If that's the idea it sort of makes sense really. Might give guys like Barrownan (if hes still there) a better chance. Is there anything else imminent, or can't you say?

Trust me, I'm saying NOTHING after the debacle last week.

I’m seeing in the Dumbarton thread that we’ve apparently signed Calum Gallagher. A quick google tells me he had a similar hit rate to McIntosh last season - a replacement?

If true, we’ll still need to sign a marquee forward as a lack of goals was our downfall last season.

I’m seeing in the Dumbarton thread that we’ve apparently signed Calum Gallagher. A quick google tells me he had a similar hit rate to McIntosh last season - a replacement?

If true, we’ll still need to sign a marquee forward as a lack of goals was our downfall last season.

If I remember what Dumbarton fans said about "SeaGal" correctly, he's a very appreciated player, and got seriously d1cked about by Steve Aitken at the start of the season.
Apparently was very decent for them in the championship also.
I'd be happy with the signing but I'd still be looking for the "marquee" attacking signing.

Eckersley is a brilliant signing. Good player at this level and a lot of experience which is exactly what we need. Hopefully, more signings of a similar vein will be added in the coming weeks. Kavanagh maybe sounds like one for the future but he's highly rated by all accounts. 

11 hours ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I really like Calum Gallagher: He's ungainly and awkward looking , but he'll work himself into the ground and - if you play him up front - will score goals. Although not prolific his 14 last season came in about 26 starts up top, and he very rarely played a full 90 minutes.

He's not a dissimilar player to McIntosh though imo.

I really like Calum Gallagher: He's ungainly and awkward looking , but he'll work himself into the ground and - if you play him up front - will score goals. Although not prolific his 14 last season came in about 26 starts up top, and he very rarely played a full 90 minutes.

He's not a dissimilar player to McIntosh though imo.

13 of his goals were against East Fife ffs! Or at least 3 were but it felt like more!

On 29/05/2019 at 11:04, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Sounds very promising. In Murray we trust.

There’s been plenty moans on the Facebook page recently regarding the current signings lack of experience etc.

If we do sign Eckersley, how long do you give it before someone moans that he’s too old? 

One of the usual suspects was on saying he's been around the block and that we need a few more signings like him but maybe younger than 33 :lol: You just can't win with some people. 

On 29/05/2019 at 16:51, Diamond8 said:
On 29/05/2019 at 16:41, el Gringo said:

Barrowman's still around. He was one of the players from last season's reserve squad to sign a contract extension to join the senior squad. 

Calum Gallagher would be a good signing. Like Leighton McIntosh, I don't know if I'd want to rely on him as my first choice striker every week but he's definitely a decent player at this level. Callum Fordyce would similarly be a good signing assuming that he's still a good player.