The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

31 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'd more be questioning why they were so keen to get the information out so quickly, before he had even signed. It's as if they thought they needed to appease the fans for a bit because there's not many other signings on the horizon. A club that had a few quality signings lined up wouldn't be feeling pressured to put out early announcements. The fact the news of him not signing is then hidden at the bottom of another article just backs this up. That's more where my concern lies.

The season only finished 3 weeks ago...why would the club be feeling the need to appease the fans this early? I'd get your point if the season was starting in a few weeks time but it's just short of 2 months till the first league cup game. We rushed out last May and signed up what was supposed to be a league challenging side...look how that turned out! I'm more than happy to wait and see what Murray and Millar bring together!

The season only finished 3 weeks ago...why would the club be feeling the need to appease the fans this early?

Maybe because fan’s expectations don’t reset at the end of a season and the club might want create a bit of positivity before season tickets go on sale.

Player gets offered new contract.

Player verbally agrees said contract.

Club announce it thinking it's a done deal.

Players gets last minute better offer.

Player accepts the better offer.

Think 'Meh' covers that quite well. The club jumped the gun a bit...so what? Its football, will happen all the time with players. 

Incompetence covers it. Can you imagine if for instance Man Utd, Celtic or Rangers did likewise. There would be uproar. Announcing players before they sign for them then to go elsewhere really doesn’t happen all the time. I can’t believe you’re even suggesting it does. Absolutely ridiculous

1 hour ago, stuartcraig said:

Maybe because fan’s expectations don’t reset at the end of a season and the club might want create a bit of positivity before season tickets go on sale.

Just like we did last season? Maybe just me but I'd rather the club take their time and try to sign the right players than go all guns blazing offering over the top contracts to some duds! 

Just like we did last season? Maybe just me but I'd rather the club take their time and try to sign the right players than go all guns blazing offering over the top contracts to some duds! 

Take their time? We’re announcing players that aren’t even signed.

Bottom line is the manager needs to
pin point his most desired players and pursue them and get them signed. Whether that’s tomorrow or 4 weeks from now, it’s all about getting the best team together. TBH I’d be panicking if we’re out picking up a full squad before end May... happy to wait and see who we sign, asking as it’s who Murray wants and it’s the right caliber of player. The manager knows we need play offs minimum or he’s out of a job. He knows what’s at stake

Bottom line is the manager needs topin point his most desired players and pursue them and get them signed. Whether that’s tomorrow or 4 weeks from now, it’s all about getting the best team together. TBH I’d be panicking if we’re out picking up a full squad before end May... happy to wait and see who we sign, asking as it’s who Murray wants and it’s the right caliber of player. The manager knows we need play offs minimum or he’s out of a job. He knows what’s at stake

He pin pointed Mcintosh. Offered him a full time deal so presume he was desired. Thought he had him. Something happened, he fucked off.

There’s backing the club and then there’s ignoring shit that’s happening in front of you. E.g. O’Neil left apparently for money but signed for Stenhousemuir. There’s a picture being painted.

Having said that I’m realistic. I presume we’ll go with kids and left overs. Get behind them. However don’t think we’re chucking money at this. No shame in that, where would it come from after all. Let’s not pretend/think otherwise though.

33 minutes ago, Airdrie Minded said:

He pin pointed Mcintosh. Offered him a full time deal so presume he was desired. Thought he had him. Something happened, he fucked off.

There’s backing the club and then there’s ignoring shit that’s happening in front of you. E.g. O’Neil left apparently for money but signed for Stenhousemuir. There’s a picture being painted.

Having said that I’m realistic. I presume we’ll go with kids and left overs. Get behind them. However don’t think we’re chucking money at this. No shame in that, where would it come from after all. Let’s not pretend/think otherwise though.

What picture is being painted - if it's not for money as you allude to regarding O'Neil? 

18 minutes ago, DiamondJack85 said:

Just like we did last season?

Yup, and we maybe added a few 10s of season tickets to the number sold as a result.

20 minutes ago, DiamondJack85 said:

Maybe just me but I'd rather the club take their time and try to sign the right players than go all guns blazing offering over the top contracts to some duds! 

I don't think the OP was claiming we should.

1 hour ago, Airdrie Minded said:

Incompetence covers it. Can you imagine if for instance Man Utd, Celtic or Rangers did likewise. There would be uproar. Announcing players before they sign for them then to go elsewhere really doesn’t happen all the time. I can’t believe you’re even suggesting it does. Absolutely ridiculous

Maurice Johnston posing with a Celtic shirt with the late Billy McNeil  before Souness nipped in and signed him...so it does happen ..... and there was uproar. 

9 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Maurice Johnston posing with a Celtic shirt with the late Billy McNeil  before Souness nipped in and signed him...so it does happen ..... and there was uproar. 

To be fair, that was 30 years ago.

I still remember some knob walking about the town centre with a home made “Mo Johnston ... backstabber” t-shirt.

What picture is being painted - if it's not for money as you allude to regarding O'Neil?   

We can’t retain who we want (picture is we’re not competitive). 2 clear examples so far. And apart from a squad of teens we’ve not signed anyone (Queen’s Park amateur and Jimmy Naecunt today aside). The o’Neil thing is a funny one. Turns down a £25 pay rise and folk lose their shit. Off for more money we hear. Signs for stenhousemuir then apparently he’s a bit daft and it’s alluded he’s made a mistake. In reality I’m sure he’s looked after himself and done ok. This new regime so far is dubious (announcing players as signed that have moved on). I hope they win it back but not impressed so far.

12 minutes ago, Airdrie Minded said:

We can’t retain who we want (picture is we’re not competitive). 2 clear examples so far. And apart from a squad of teens we’ve not signed anyone (Queen’s Park amateur and Jimmy Naecunt today aside). The o’Neil thing is a funny one. Turns down a £25 pay rise and folk lose their shit. Off for more money we hear. Signs for stenhousemuir then apparently he’s a bit daft and it’s alluded he’s made a mistake. In reality I’m sure he’s looked after himself and done ok. This new regime so far is dubious (announcing players as signed that have moved on). I hope they win it back but not impressed so far.

"Queens Park amateur and Jimmy Naecunt" -  another wind-up or you really don't know/care/respect football, football teams or football players.

11 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'd more be questioning why they were so keen to get the information out so quickly, before he had even signed. It's as if they thought they needed to appease the fans for a bit because there's not many other signings on the horizon. A club that had a few quality signings lined up wouldn't be feeling pressured to put out early announcements. The fact the news of him not signing is then hidden at the bottom of another article just backs this up. That's more where my concern lies.

Hardly hidden if it’s blatantly mentioned in a post from the club. Drama drama. 

10 hours ago, DiamondJack85 said:

The season only finished 3 weeks ago...why would the club be feeling the need to appease the fans this early? I'd get your point if the season was starting in a few weeks time but it's just short of 2 months till the first league cup game. We rushed out last May and signed up what was supposed to be a league challenging side...look how that turned out! I'm more than happy to wait and see what Murray and Millar bring together!

Season has not even fully finished. Cup final was only today and Premier League play off still to finish. So basically there’s still a whole close season to go, yet some fans are still panicking. Mental.