The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Raith interested in  MacDonald,they must see something about him .

He was one of our best players at getting up the line, past his man and putting a decent cross in. Even when part of a back 3!!!! 

I’d have played his at wingback over Edwards every week. Edwards is a decent prospect but not great going forward yet IMO.

For me, McDonald is not a terrible loss but not a bad player to keep as part of a squad due to his versatility. 

22 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Craig Thomson in, Leighton McIntosh out https://www.airdriefc.com/craigthomson-250519

Looks like McIntosh thinks or has been told  he's got a better offer on the table - be it financial terms or geographical for travelling - so he's pulled out last minute. Time will tell. Not disappointed - as the guys have said the last two games made his goal tally look decent. Perhaps Murray thought he might improve with full time training.  Anyhow, his loss, not ours.

24 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:

Good signing for you.

Strange one regarding McIntosh

24 minutes ago, Moon said:

So the club announced a signing that they hadn't actually made?

Beamer.

It's all very strange. Curious to see where he ends up now mind you. Meh. I think we can do better although depending on the makeup of our final squad he might have been a useful backup.

Thomson, I don't know anything about although it might be nice to play with a proper winger again. 

I'm sorry to see Deano go. I think he could have developed into a good player at this level (probably a defender more than a midfielder mind you) but it was obvious Murray either didn't fancy him or didn't want to give him the chance to develop. He always played with a bit of heart and I know that doesn't necessarily make you a good player I do think it counts for something at this level. I thought he was probably a slightly better footballer than he was given credit for at times too. He's much better off going somewhere he'll get game time. Best of luck to him. He was transfer listed so I can only assume he must have found another club.

Despite scoring in a couple of meaningless games McIntosh was always a valuable backup, sorry to see him go. Compared to Carrick he was always a threat, yet people are very forgiving of Dale with his two or three goals.

This season like last will be decided by who has the most potent goal scorers in the side. I personally don't see a real threat from the guys like Stewart, Hawkshaw, Roberts and the latest signing.

Unless we see Murray signing players with consistent goals in them then I fear it will be like last season.

Sounds like McIntosh agreed to re-sign and then changed his mind last minute. Probably not something the club expected him to do after giving his word but that's life. Would have liked to have seen him stay as a squad player but will be plenty of other options out there!

Don't know much about Thomson but seems to have some pace about him....something which we have been crying out, especially when playing at home. Sounds like a good player thats always had the potential so hopefully he can kickstart his career here.

13 minutes ago, dextermorgan said:

Despite scoring in a couple of meaningless games McIntosh was always a valuable backup, sorry to see him go. Compared to Carrick he was always a threat, yet people are very forgiving of Dale with his two or three goals.

This season like last will be decided by who has the most potent goal scorers in the side. I personally don't see a real threat from the guys like Stewart, Hawkshaw, Roberts and the latest signing.

Unless we see Murray signing players with consistent goals in them then I fear it will be like last season.

I really don't believe Murray is thinking that these guys are going to replace the goals scored by Duffy and McIntosh! Those 2 will need replaced but there's plenty of time to get players in and no doubt the club are working in the background to get the one's in they want. 

It's all very strange. Curious to see where he ends up now mind you. Meh. I think we can do better although depending on the makeup of our final squad he might have been a useful backup.

So, nothing to say about the club offering him a full time deal, the fact he apparently signs (for whatever reason), and it was announced but then turned out it was all shite? The absolute incompetence of announcing it before he had actually signed and the story behind as to why he backed out doesn’t even register beyond a meh???

For someone so vocal and anti people asking questions, I find that strange mate. Balance is key.

40 minutes ago, Airdrie Minded said:

So, nothing to say about the club offering him a full time deal, the fact he apparently signs (for whatever reason), and it was announced but then turned out it was all shite? The absolute incompetence of announcing it before he had actually signed and the story behind as to why he backed out doesn’t even register beyond a meh???

For someone so vocal and anti people asking questions, I find that strange mate. Balance is key.

Player gets offered new contract.

Player verbally agrees said contract.

Club announce it thinking it's a done deal.

Players gets last minute better offer.

Player accepts the better offer.

Think 'Meh' covers that quite well. The club jumped the gun a bit...so what? Its football, will happen all the time with players. 

I'd have liked McIntosh to have signed, I think it's underestimated how many goals he scored last season in such a poor side with dreadful service. Plus I think it's important at this level to have one striker who has a physical presence. Big, physical strikers who can actually play a bit don't sign for clubs at this level, so McIntosh would have probably been our best bet. That said, I'd have only wanted him as a 'Plan B' so not going to lose any sleep over it.

20 minutes ago, DiamondJack85 said:

Player gets offered new contract.

Player verbally agrees said contract.

Club announce it thinking it's a done deal.

Players gets last minute better offer.

Player accepts the better offer.

Think 'Meh' covers that quite well. The club jumped the gun a bit...so what? Its football, will happen all the time with players. 

I'd more be questioning why they were so keen to get the information out so quickly, before he had even signed. It's as if they thought they needed to appease the fans for a bit because there's not many other signings on the horizon. A club that had a few quality signings lined up wouldn't be feeling pressured to put out early announcements. The fact the news of him not signing is then hidden at the bottom of another article just backs this up. That's more where my concern lies.

21 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'd more be questioning why they were so keen to get the information out so quickly, before he had even signed. It's as if they thought they needed to appease the fans for a bit because there's not many other signings on the horizon. A club that had a few quality signings lined up wouldn't be feeling pressured to put out early announcements. The fact the news of him not signing is then hidden at the bottom of another article just backs this up. That's more where my concern lies.

Probably reading into it too much. Well I hope you’re theory isn’t the case anyways.