The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

12 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Chris Duggan released by Raith could be worth a punt,Raith had a few good strikers and lack of regular games didn't do Duggan any favours ,Nat  Wedderburn  also releases ,got subbed during rovers first play- off ,did not make the subs bench for second game .no sure about him as he has been mentioned on here that we may be interested.

He was injured, often.

Fixed it for you.

Cheers! Thought Miller was not flamboyant and quietly went about his business. Lot of room for improvement tho. I just don’t think him and Gallagher worked well in the same midfield and one had to go. Was expecting a lot more from him considering the hype when we signed him. Time will tell.

Cheers! Thought Miller was not flamboyant and quietly went about his business. Lot of room for improvement tho. I just don’t think him and Gallagher worked well in the same midfield and one had to go. Was expecting a lot more from him considering the hype when we signed him. Time will tell.

Yeah agree with that. Hope he does well but was really disappointed with him last season. Hopeless for most of it.

19 minutes ago, Airdrie Minded said:

Yeah agree with that. Hope he does well but was really disappointed with him last season. Hopeless for most of it.

Well that's us padded out the squad with the part timers,   There is nothing we have signed or resigned that makes you think the new season will be any different than the last umpteen seasons...    We still need a minimum of 8 better QUALITY full time  players  to compete and get to the playoffs.

Pleased with Hawkshaw. As others have said, Millar was probably my biggest disappointment of last season. Came in with a good reputation as a defensive midfielder, that could do the simple things well. I thought he was a bit of a dud most of the season TBH. Was as good as missing in most games, couldn't win the ball, no sort of forward or incisive passing, couldn't link the play or move us from defence to attack and no goal threat or runs forward to support the attack whatsoever. That being said, I thought he was much better later in the season when we played him deeper. Was good at tackling/winning the ball off the opposition and winning the second ball. Still no real ability to link the play or move us up the park though. IMO Gallagher was better (although still not good enough) but I wouldn't have offered either of them deals. We need much better if we want to challenge for promotion. 

I think then Leighton McIntosh is the only player from last season left who is still considering whether or not to re-sign? 

Pleased with Hawkshaw. As others have said, Millar was probably my biggest disappointment of last season. Came in with a good reputation as a defensive midfielder, that could do the simple things well. I thought he was a bit of a dud most of the season TBH. Was as good as missing in most games, couldn't win the ball, no sort of forward or incisive passing, couldn't link the play or move us from defence to attack and no goal threat or runs forward to support the attack whatsoever. That being said, I thought he was much better later in the season when we played him deeper. Was good at tackling/winning the ball off the opposition and winning the second ball. Still no real ability to link the play or move us up the park though. IMO Gallagher was better (although still not good enough) but I wouldn't have offered either of them deals. We need much better if we want to challenge for promotion. 
I think then Leighton McIntosh is the only player from last season left who is still considering whether or not to re-sign? 

I won’t be bothered if he stays or go his finishing is too erratic,still I’d say another 5-6 decent first team players off

5 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

I won’t be bothered if he stays or go his finishing is too erratic,still I’d say another 5-6 decent first team players off

I agree with you, I said exactly that on the Facebook group a while back. He'd be a good enough option to have on the bench but wouldn't have him in my starting XI. 

Well that's us padded out the squad with the part timers,   There is nothing we have signed or resigned that makes you think the new season will be any different than the last umpteen seasons...    We still need a minimum of 8 better QUALITY full time  players  to compete and get to the playoffs.

We’ll all get a shock if it’s a bunch of kids making up the full time element.

I think Leighton was offered full time terms, positive I heard he accepted it.

Delighted to see Hawkshaw has signed on again...looked promising in the last part of the season so hopefully he can take that into next season and become a key player for us. 

Also happy enough to see Millar stay...didn't have the best of seasons but definitely improved when Gallagher got injured and he was playing in the deeper role. Still think we will need a quality player in the middle of the park to play alongside him.

The reality is guys like Millar let us down last season and didn’t get any where near a level that was good enough (bar in a few kick about games at the end of the season). I can’t believe anyone is happy to see him stay.

The point made a few posts above about re-signing these guys not making us better is true (I still shiver at the memory of losing to Stenhousemuir at home for instance when it was all to play for in terms of promotion). And if we do end up with a load of kids filling the full time positions then I worry about next season already.

However there is of course plenty time and we should judge once everyone is in. A few experienced full time players would be a big help.

1 David Hutton 2   6 Dean Hawkshaw 10 Dale Carrick   13 Cammy Russell
    3 Kiernan McDonald 7 Scott Stewart 11     14  
    4 Josh Edwards 8 Kieran Miller       15  
    5 Sean Chrighton 9 Kurtis Roberts       16  
                  17 Scott Gallacher

1 Andrew McNeil (18) 2 Scott Dunn (18) 6 Aidan Meechan (17) 10 James Hughes (16)      
    3 Joshua Burke (17) 7 Andrew Barrowman (20) 11 Patrick Pyott (20)      
    4 Arran Ross (19) 8            
    5 Robbie Leighton (20) 9            

TBH I'm not that concerned by most other team's business so far. The only eye-catching signings I would say other teams have made so far have been Kirkpatrick at Forfar and Wallace at East Fife. Worth remembering too that Forfar have lost Easton, Reilly and Baird (who Andy Jackson is a downgrade on) and East Fife have signed 12 of the squad that even our bunch of jobbers finished above last season. Still, plenty of time for the other teams to sign all the good players and for us to sign the rubbish no one else wants mind you. 

4 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

TBH I'm not that concerned by most other team's business so far. The only eye-catching signings I would say other teams have made so far have been Kirkpatrick at Forfar and Wallace at East Fife. Worth remembering too that Forfar have lost Easton, Reilly and Baird (who Andy Jackson is a downgrade on) and East Fife have signed 12 of the squad that even our bunch of jobbers finished above last season. Still, plenty of time for the other teams to sign all the good players and for us to sign the rubbish no one else wants mind you. 

Agree with what you’re saying. But the good players won’t be signed up straight away by anyone (unless it’s a massive offer ie Austin to Kelty Hearts) as they’ll be scouting their options. Maybe wishful thinking from myself though!!