The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Kurtis Roberts. https://www.airdriefc.com/kurtisroberts-190519 

Never seen him play before so can't really comment but he's an attacking midfielder and was the QP player of the year. They seem to quite highly rate him so here's hoping he can make the step up. 

Arran Ross, Robbie Leighton, Andy Barrowman and Patrick Pyott from last season's reserve squad have all extended their deals with the club too. https://www.airdriefc.com/signings2-190519

It's hard to know how much stock to take in that. He's kind of got to say that and you would imagine an offer from Raith or Thistle (and probably full-time too) would be tempting. Having said that given his age and the stage of his career he's at he might be happy to stay part-time. And without wanting to indulge in the "love playing for this football club" cliche that players regularly hit out with he did genuinely seem to enjoy his time here. 

Been told by a couple of folk that he’s re-signing. Fingers crossed anyway.

1 hour ago, AFC1878 said:

Let’s not kid ourselves, it all comes down to money. If he gets a better deal elsewhere he’ll be off.

Of course - that's the way it is at this level and if he does go, good luck to him.  I just hope that he has a decent job outside football and part-time suits him.

48 minutes ago, Maxismydog said:

I think we be fecked next year if these are the level of 'signings'........

What are you on about?  Two cracking goals from outside the box from young Roberts...the first from about 25 yards with his left foot and the second from about 35 yards with his right.  How many Airdrie players have you seen do that last season?

3 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

Roberts is a good signing for you lads, I was really hoping we'd go for him - but unfortunately we appear to be having our usual pre-season crisis.

I've never seen the boy play before so can't really comment but he's well thought of by the QP fans and Colin Paterson, whose opinion I always value, said he was one to watch. Hope he does well. Especially because some of his family are Airdrie fans and I can't be bothered with the grief on here and Facebook if he's shite and his family take exception to us saying so :lol:

As for the other players, I can't see any of the 16-18-year-olds featuring in the first team any time soon unless they're exceptional in which case we should play them. They're still young enough to be playing youth football, and to me anyway, it looks like we've signed them up as long term prospects with an idea of them progressing to the first team in the future rather than right now. But I guess they'll get to train with the first team and play in the reserves (assuming we're running a reserve team again this year?).  

The four reserve players too, I assume, have been signed to play in the reserves and/or flesh out the first team squad which I'm fine with really ( and which they've all been doing already). If they're all going to be starting XI regulars then yes I'll start to worry but Leighton has come into the first team before and done okay. Barrowman is meant to be a highly rated prospect and I don't know a lot about Ross and Pyott but they've both played in the juniors so at least have some level of first-team experience. 

As I have said previously the Club seem to have a definite plan. The trickiest bit is signing experienced good players which definitely will take time. I will be very surprised if the present signings are seen as immediate first team players apart from Roberts. It is entirely possible that the whole thing will be a disaster but now is not the time to pass judgement. Wait till the first team signings are made.