The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, Nipper said:

Mackay had a tough gig trying to follow Doddie with the funds starting to run out. It was desperate stuff but we were at a much higher level and would have been able to thrash any of the sides we've seen in the Diamond from Jimmy Boyle onwards.

Can't disagree with  any of that.

I just felt tht he was completely out of his depth - just like several of his successors.

11 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

+1 for Jackie Stewart as worst manager with Bill Munro as a close second, best again Alex McDonald with Bobby Watson in 2nd Spot. (Ralph Collins was in charge when I started attending Airdrie matches)

The list on Wikipedia from 1905 is 

• Andy Walker (1905–10)
  • John Chapman (1910–21)
  • William Orr (1921–26)
  • David Martyn (1926–37)
  • John Morrison (1937–41)
  • Hunter Hart (1941–43)
  • Robert Ferrier (1943–45)
  • Alex Ritchie (1945–50)
  • Willie Fotheringham (1950–54)
  • Willie Steel (1954–63)
  • Archie Wright (1963–67)
  • Ralph Collins (1967–70)
  • Ian McMillan (1970–76)
  • Jackie Stewart (1976–78)
  • Bobby Watson (1978–82)
  • Bill Munro (1982–83)
  • Ally MacLeod (1983–85)
  • Ian McMillan (1985–86)
  • Derek Whiteford (1986–87)
  • Gordon McQueen (1987–89)
  • Jimmy Bone (1989–91)
  • Alex MacDonald (1991–99
  • Gary Mackay (1999–00)
  • Steve Archibald (2000–01)
  • Ian McCall (2001–02)
  • Sandy Stewart (2002–06)
  • Kenny Black (2006–10)
  • Jimmy Boyle (2010–13)
  • Gary Bollan (2013–15)
  • Eddie Wolecki Black (2015–16)
  • Danny Lennon & Kevin McBride (both 2016 - as acting head coaches)
  • Mark Wilson (2016–17)
  • Gordon Dalziel (2017 - acting head coach)
  • Stevie Findlay (2017–18)
  • Ian Murray (2018–)

You missed out Willie Aitchison

12 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

+1 for Jackie Stewart as worst manager with Bill Munro as a close second, best again Alex McDonald with Bobby Watson in 2nd Spot. (Ralph Collins was in charge when I started attending Airdrie matches)

The list on Wikipedia from 1905 is 

• Andy Walker (1905–10)
  • John Chapman (1910–21)
  • William Orr (1921–26)
  • David Martyn (1926–37)
  • John Morrison (1937–41)
  • Hunter Hart (1941–43)
  • Robert Ferrier (1943–45)
  • Alex Ritchie (1945–50)
  • Willie Fotheringham (1950–54)
  • Willie Steel (1954–63)
  • Archie Wright (1963–67)
  • Ralph Collins (1967–70)
  • Ian McMillan (1970–76)
  • Jackie Stewart (1976–78)
  • Bobby Watson (1978–82)
  • Bill Munro (1982–83)
  • Ally MacLeod (1983–85)
  • Ian McMillan (1985–86)
  • Derek Whiteford (1986–87)
  • Gordon McQueen (1987–89)
  • Jimmy Bone (1989–91)
  • Alex MacDonald (1991–99
  • Gary Mackay (1999–00)
  • Steve Archibald (2000–01)
  • Ian McCall (2001–02)
  • Sandy Stewart (2002–06)
  • Kenny Black (2006–10)
  • Jimmy Boyle (2010–13)
  • Gary Bollan (2013–15)
  • Eddie Wolecki Black (2015–16)
  • Danny Lennon & Kevin McBride (both 2016 - as acting head coaches)
  • Mark Wilson (2016–17)
  • Gordon Dalziel (2017 - acting head coach)
  • Stevie Findlay (2017–18)
  • Ian Murray (2018–)

Thanks for list and I have now had cold shivers at being reminded of Butcher Munro/Gary McKay chasing Tom Hendry down the tunnel/ how Jimmy Bone was inspiring but escaped some difficulties  There have been some real duffers so maybe I should revisit Jackie Stewart-did we win the Spring cup?  I think Ralph Collins worked over at Honeywells as well? So many short tenures never mind the guy who "managed" in the first half at Cliftonhill with a derby win, but got punted!

4 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Thanks for list and I have now had cold shivers at being reminded of Butcher Munro/Gary McKay chasing Tom Hendry down the tunnel/ how Jimmy Bone was inspiring but escaped some difficulties  There have been some real duffers so maybe I should revisit Jackie Stewart-did we win the Spring cup?  I think Ralph Collins worked over at Honeywells as well? So many short tenures never mind the guy who "managed" in the first half at Cliftonhill with a derby win, but got punted!

Ralph Collins worked on the assembly line at Terex. 

What are you on about? 
Last season was clearly not the managers team, this season he'll have more of a chance to put his own brand of football on the park. By all means if we're not in the playoff spots come Christmas, call for his head, but until then give it a rest FFS. You clearly don't like Murray and that's fine, but at least give him a fucking chance with his own team on the park.
This.
I've made my point very clear over the last few months. In my opinion, that's been a free hit for Murray, he's consolidated without being spectacular or spunking money on wages for even more dross on the park.
Since that's now the "signing window" open, all eyes are now firmly on Murray and the DoF regarding recruitment.
For me, the judgement begins now.

Just read the Sandy Stewart interview on the Facebook site but for some reason can't comment on it (facebook issue, not anything else).

It works well as an advertising piece for the charity game, but is anyone else like me and suffering PTSD from last season where we believed all the hype about this player and that player and how we were going to finally get out of this league?

After last years experience I'm personally not impressed with announcements about this model or that model, we need to see the players that we can bring in before deciding how next season could go (and to tie in with the posts above, how Murray will be judged).

I'd love to wipe the memory banks but last season was such a boot in the baws. I've always been a pay at the gate guy but last year was my first season ticket and I ended up going to fewer games than I have for 4 years. It was that bad.

And to think that East Fife have signed two good players from Arbroath already, one of whom we were interested in....I'm worried to be honest.

6 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Were we actually interested in Wallace or was that just chat on here?

Exactly. That’s the danger with social media. Rumours from anonymous posters in here or comments on the FB page can quickly turn into more that they should. The club have been forthcoming with their communications in recent weeks and i applaud them for that. Not heard anything direct from the club about being interested in Wallace so him signing for another team cannot be seen as a ‘loss’ for us. There’s plenty time and plenty available players out there. Yes, I’d love some signing news but I’d also like to avoid limiting ourselves to ex-players (unless clearly good enough) as well as not rushing in just to please people. 

Ill make my overall judgement on the playing squad once they’re recruited and I’ve seen a few games. 

1 minute ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Exactly. That’s the danger with social media. Rumours from anonymous posters in here or comments on the FB page can quickly turn into more that they should. The club have been forthcoming with their communications in recent weeks and i applaud them for that. Not heard anything direct from the club about being interested in Wallace so him signing for another team cannot be seen as a ‘loss’ for us. There’s plenty time and plenty available players out there. Yes, I’d love some signing news but I’d also like to avoid limiting ourselves to ex-players (unless clearly good enough) as well as not rushing in just to please people. 

Ill make my overall judgement on the playing squad once they’re recruited and I’ve seen a few games. 

I'm not seeing it as a loss for us as such, my view is much wider at the moment in terms of how last season has annoyed me, but I disagree with saying that you can't view it in that way.

If other teams go out and sign good players for our level (say for example Dom Thomas is open to a loan move to another side) we can very much see that as being a loss for us. It's either a loss in the sense that he didn't want to come here, or a loss in the sense that we weren't quick enough to make a move.

In general I'd agree with your point about not rushing in and getting the right players - recruitment is going to be what makes or breaks us. The whole issue last season is that the majority of us got caught up in the flurry of signings.

6 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

For me, the judgement begins now.

That said, depending on how many of last year's team move on, Murray will be able to claim he is still dealing with the legacy of Findlay's signings.  Answering how much grace that should buy him will hopefully remain an academic exercise.

19 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

Your opinion is utterly ridiculous though. You claim to be a more mature fan yet after about  a month of Murray being in post all he got from you is criticism. I ask again, what do you expect from him coming into post with a team he's inherited and a limited budget? 

I tell you what I expected? Make us more difficult to beat and keep us up. He's achieved that. He'll get criticism from me next year based on who he signs and team performance. 

To you my opinion is ridiculous,that's fine your opinion ,it's a bit hurtful a fellow fan telling you to pipe down  ,after home and away most games for to many years .its the way I saw it ,for certain I am not the one who hurls abuse at players on a Saturday  ,shouting abuse on a sat does no one any use ,one thing for sure is I only want Airdrie to win ,now I'll pipe down .

2 hours ago, Moon said:

If other teams go out and sign good players for our level (say for example Dom Thomas is open to a loan move to another side) we can very much see that as being a loss for us. It's either a loss in the sense that he didn't want to come here, or a loss in the sense that we weren't quick enough to make a move.

I broadly agree that we have to compete with the other teams in the league with the standard of player that we sign but would also say that the focus should be on building consistent strength across the team, even if that means were missing out on star players in individual positions.

2 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

I broadly agree that we have to compete with the other teams in the league with the standard of player that we sign but would also say that the focus should be on building consistent strength across the team, even if that means were missing out on star players in individual positions.

yeah I'd agree with that.