The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Club Statement:

"In addition to the five players who were allowed to leave on expiry of their contracts, the club have made a number of others available for transfer.

Defenders Jonathan Page and Scott Robertson, midfielders Dean Cairns and Ryan Conroy, and striker Joao Victoria have all been placed on the transfer list in light of the upcoming changes to the squad set-up at the club. All Championship, League One and League Two clubs have been notified of their availability.

Defender Kieran MacDonald and midfielder Scott Stewart, although part of the manager’s plans for next season, have also been listed as available due to the pair entering the final year of their contracts."

Would be sad to see Deano go but it did seem inevitable since he barely featured under Murray. Likewise, I hope Scotty Stewart stays too although I could easily see him get picked up. Ambivalent about MacDonald but hope the rest find another club ASAP. 

Surprised to see Stewart on that list, he's always stood out whenever I've seen us play yourselves.

It seems a risky strategy to be offloading/offer small wages to the better part timers in order to fund the full timers. Airdrie will surely be bottom of the ladder in terms of full-time wages and with at least two other full-time clubs in League 1 you may struggle for quality signings.

Fair fucks if it works out.

Which leaves from the 1st team Squad (at the moment):

Scott Gallacher

David Hutton

Sean Crighton

Josh Edwards

Kieran Miller

Dale Carrick

Dean Hawkshaw

Leighton McIntosh

Cammy Russell

(Scott Stewart)

(Kieran MacDonald)

Happy that Hutton Carrick and Hawkshaw are still here. Hopefully Leighton McIntosh can improve and push on as well.  The rest, I can give or take.

2 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

Of course there is no possibility that the club did offer a genuinely disrespectful amount (coz that's never happened under previous regimes) and I'm sure you'd handle the same situation much better if you were his "wee maw".

Why is it disrespectful? The club have offered him what they think he is worth and he has rejected it, as he is perfectly entitled to do and good luck to him.

I wasn't sure about keeping him anyway, I'd hope we are aiming to go with 4 at the back in the coming season and he has always been unconvincing in that system. I'd have done exactly what the club did, offer him less and if he accepts you've made a saving on a squad player, if not it's no loss.

It appears that the club are being ruthless and getting almost everyone out, which is good to see.

3 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Why is it disrespectful? The club have offered him what they think he is worth and he has rejected it, as he is perfectly entitled to do and good luck to him.

Why was what disrepectful?  The amount that O'Neill was offered?  I have no idea what he was offered or how it compares to what teams in this division consider a reasonable wage, so don't know either way.

I'd have done exactly what the club did, offer him less and if he accepts you've made a saving on a squad player, if not it's no loss.

If that’s the way we’re going to be going about our business, come the start of the season we’ll be left with all the duds that can’t get a deal anywhere else. It will be just like the Ballantyne era.

8 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Why was what disrepectful?  The amount that O'Neill was offered?  I have no idea what he was offered or how it compares to what teams in this division consider a reasonable wage, so don't know either way.

You were clearly implying that the club may have offered him a disrespectful amount of money. I don't see how any amount could be disrespectful, we owe no-one a living. These are business decisions and I don't think looking at it from an emotive point of view is particularly helpful to anyone.

If he thinks he is better than the salary that was offered (which he may well be) then he is absolutely right to back himself and try to get more elsewhere. And the club are equally right to not pay him more than what they think he is worth to them.

1 minute ago, AFC1878 said:

If that’s the way we’re going to be going about our business, we’ll be left with all the duds that can’t get a deal elsewhere come the start of the season.

How does that follow? This is in regard to players that we currently have, almost all of which I'd be happy to see go. It's a way of ensuring we have a squad, but also have enough money to bring in better players so that we wont be relying on the cast offs.

13 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

You were clearly implying that the club may have offered him a disrespectful amount of money.

Nope.  I said it was a possibility.  Huge difference.

Maybe something that folk should consider before slagging off players and their maws, unless they're certain of their facts.

And even then, slagging isn't big or clever.

13 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I don't see how any amount could be disrespectful

If you can't offer someone a fair wage then don't waste their time by asking them to support your business with their effort and abilities.

14 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

How does that follow? This is in regard to players that we currently have, almost all of which I'd be happy to see go. It's a way of ensuring we have a squad, but also have enough money to bring in better players so that we wont be relying on the cast offs.

If you get a reputation, fairly or unfairly, for messing your employees about, don't expect the good people to come rushing to work for you.

7 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Maybe something that folk should consider before slagging off players and their maws, unless they're certain of their facts.

If you can't offer someone a fair wage then don't waste their time by asking them to support your business with their effort and abilities.

First off, O’Neills mum (if that’s who it is) making public her opinion on the wages offered helps nobody. Also there was clear exaggeration in her statement to emphasise what she thinks was a low offer. If the club think it’s fair to them then who are we to disagree, especially when we don’t know the facts. 

Secondly, how do we know whether the club offered a ‘fair wage’ or not? That’s a matter of opinion, which clearly differed between club and player. 

I doubt they offered him a low wage hoping to push him out as they’re being very clear about what players are no longer part of the plans so I’m sure if they didn’t want O’Neill to stay they wouldn’t have offered him anything. 

Either way, he is replaceable. He was decent but not irreplaceable. 

It’s up to Murray and Millar to get in better quality and if that means offering lower wages to certain current players then so be it. 

I doubt they offered him a low wage hoping to push him out as they’re being very clear about what players are no longer part of the plans so I’m sure if they didn’t want O’Neill to stay they wouldn’t have offered him anything. 

That’s what concerns me slightly.

42 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

You said it was a possibility yes, but there was a pretty clear implication, whether you meant it or not.

Totally agree regarding the personal comments, and as I said earlier that is made worse by people making it an emotive issue, when it's actually a simple business decision.

On your last point, that still wouldn't make it disrespectful though, the club and player obviously differ on what they think is a reasonable wage for him. Don't really see how they are wasting anyone's time. All the players who had contracts expiring had a short meeting, O'Neil was offered something which he thought he was worth more than (again, which he may well have been) so rejected it. That should be the end of it, he moves on and tries to get a better deal elsewhere.

Fans are absolutely entitled to disagree with Murray's judgement on his value. But he is paid to make that decision and should be judged on who he gets in instead and ultimately the end result next season.

Oh I do love the close season. Folk losing the plot over Chris O’Neil leaving :lol:

I suspect he was offered a deal that was reflective of his ability; which is a squad rotation player at best.

If our ambition for next season is to get promoted, we can’t rely on players like Chris O’Neil as starters. While he put in some solid performances in the second half of the season (the game where he was forced to play on the right side of a back three at Raith after Page was hauled off seemed to be a turning point for him), let’s not forget he was at times a liability at RB/ RWB before that point.

If we could get him on the cheap as a squad player, great. Anything beyond that would be bonkers.

25 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Secondly, how do we know whether the club offered a ‘fair wage’ or not? That’s a matter of opinion, which clearly differed between club and player. 

I'll say again.  We don't know.

I'll be totally honest, from an on the park point of view I have very few issues with anything that had happened thus far. I'd really hope that Stewart stays like many others have said. It's clear given the manager/DOF dynamic that there may well be more contacts out there to tap into and if there are very good junior players signed then I'm ok with that. Ditto if we push the boat out for a few from leagues above then that is similarly ok. My main hope would be that lots of folk are sorted early doors to try and get a bit of cohesiveness to the squad.

Also if I was Chris O'Neil I'd be pissed off and a bit humiliated that someone was spouting my contract rumours all over facebook. I agree that players families can be a liability on these things (mind the rocket father from last year on here) as prospective employers will look at that and think "if we offer him a deal he doesn't like will it get splashed all over social media?" At the end of the day, i'd of liked to have kept him but realistically he hasn't made a huge difference and he is a perennial part time lower league player. The average wage for part time lower league players is buttons!

39 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

You said it was a possibility yes, but there was a pretty clear implication, whether you meant it or not.

I implied that the OP didn't know for sure what had happened, not that I did know what had happened.

51 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Totally agree regarding the personal comments, and as I said earlier that is made worse by people making it an emotive issue, when it's actually a simple business decision.

Yup.  A couple of people (myself included) made fairly neutral observations and then folk piled in to create another fight on the internet.

I agree it's probably a business decision but there are good ones and bad ones and all shades in between and it's not clear where this one is.

55 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

On your last point, that still wouldn't make it disrespectful though, the club and player obviously differ on what they think is a reasonable wage for him. Don't really see how they are wasting anyone's time.

If I were to ask you to work for free in return for "exposure" or "experience" or a nominal wages that wouldn't cover your petrol money, I wouldn't expect you to take me seriously.  Some companies do though.

If you agree with the latter perspective, then I guess we'll just agree to disagree

I don’t get the whole O’Neil thing he’s an 5/10 player at best and he ain’t gonna develop any better he’s being played and Center half because he’s not good enough for Right back/Right wing back,Give the club a chance to speak to players and see who they bring in before yous lot jump to conclusions

Don’t know what’s worse here or Facebook