The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 minute ago, Ross Forbes said:

When he signed for us his game was all about physicality. He had a tremendous engine on him, and was aggressive and powerful. Two serious injuries later and he was a a technically pretty average player who lacked what had made him such a success at Stranraer.

I’d be delighted to see us make moves for O’Neill and, especially, Kyle Wilkie. Always been a fan of his.

Chris was very good in a back three for the 2nd half of season but he could do a job for you at RB in a back four since Ballantyne has gone.  Wilkie is a clever footballer but he needs to be nursed.  Assuming you pay quite good PT wages then it could be on.  

Chris was very good in a back three for the 2nd half of season but he could do a job for you at RB in a back four since Ballantyne has gone.  Wilkie is a clever footballer but he needs to be nursed.  Assuming you pay quite good PT wages then it could be on.  

We’ve seen this season how vital having solid full-backs can be, and upgrading from Willie Dyer to David Ferguson (albeit with Ballantyne swapping sides) played a massive role in saving our season. O’Neill would be a nice solid replacement for Ballantyne, and is a guy who has more than proven himself as a good League One player.

Wilkie always looks strikes me as the mercurial type, but given Duffy’s got loads out of most of our attackers he seems like a guy who would do well under him. I’ve no idea if we’re in a position to be good money or not - but I’d hope we at least show a bit of interest in both players!

Personally do not understand the furore over O Neil he was steady enough, but that calibre of player has made Airdrie a consistent league 1 side,   The directors want better,  what's left of the fans demand the return of the glory days.  Better quality players is the only answer for the club to progress.   Next season is pivotal (say it every season). Falkirk , possibly Raith and QOS and the rise of the Angus teams could make the campaign perilous,    Massive summer ahead.........onwards and upwards as the guvnor used to say.

2 hours ago, AFC1878 said:

Apparently looking to reduce the part-time wages in order to free up money for the full-time wages.

According to Facebook the boy was gutted with what he was offered.

8 hours ago, Passionate said:

Personally do not understand the furore over O Neil he was steady enough, but that calibre of player has made Airdrie a consistent league 1 side,   The directors want better,  what's left of the fans demand the return of the glory days.  Better quality players is the only answer for the club to progress.   Next season is pivotal (say it every season). Falkirk , possibly Raith and QOS and the rise of the Angus teams could make the campaign perilous,    Massive summer ahead.........onwards and upwards as the guvnor used to say.

A few people using the word "disappointed" == "furore".

I disagree with your point though.  I'm sure that O'Neill has his flaws, like just about every other player at this level, but it certainly wasn't his lack of ability or commitment that was responsible for our failure to achieve the targets set at the start of this season.

9 hours ago, Passionate said:

Slight hyperbole there mate.

I've been on record as saying that we were so bad that we can't get too upset about anyone going as we really need to improve.

But I kinda expected the poorer guys to go first. O'Neil, Wilkie, Gallagher would not have been my first three picks to go 

7 hours ago, Nipper said:

According to Facebook the boy was gutted with what he was offered.

Chasing away young raw talent is the Airdrie way right now under this board.He was offered next to nothing to stay,the laddie deserved more.We have a tough league again to try and get out of,so let's hope and pray this 'hybrid ' this works.Also heard Hutts has been offered a better deal away from us,if I was the board I'd be busting a gut to keep him.

I think it’s too early to jump to conclusions. I was surprised at O’Neill leaving but maybe there’s someone better lined up. There will also be negotiations to get rid of some of the players who still have contracts. Then we need to sign new players. Only then should we’ve in a position to take a view as to where we’re placed.

I have to admit that I’m no great admirer of the manager but I’m sure he’s working to a plan.

9 minutes ago, waysider said:

I was surprised at O’Neill leaving but maybe there’s someone better lined up.

And if there isn't we'll at least have lots of fuel for the bitter recrimination that will run for the rest of the season.

Lost a 'll sympathy for O Neil being released,  his wee maw has been giving it large all over Facebook saying the usual offered a pittance not enough for petrol money etc.   This i snt under 10s we are dealing with here, the lad is 22 ffs...   Get over it and get yourself another club ffs.

3 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Lost a 'll sympathy for O Neil being released,  his wee maw has been giving it large all over Facebook saying the usual offered a pittance not enough for petrol money etc.   This i snt under 10s we are dealing with here, the lad is 22 ffs...   Get over it and get yourself another club ffs.

Of course there is no possibility that the club did offer a genuinely disrespectful amount (coz that's never happened under previous regimes) and I'm sure you'd handle the same situation much better if you were his "wee maw".

1 hour ago, Trust Airdrie said:

Chasing away young raw talent is the Airdrie way right now under this board.He was offered next to nothing to stay,the laddie deserved more.We have a tough league again to try and get out of,so let's hope and pray this 'hybrid ' this works.Also heard Hutts has been offered a better deal away from us,if I was the board I'd be busting a gut to keep him.

Considering the board, in its current state, has barely been in place that long, I disagree that  ‘chasing away young raw talent’ is the ‘Airdrie way’.

They need to be given a chance to change things and that always starts with players leaving before being replaced. 

Im not gutted with any of the names that have gone. O’Neill was decent but who is to say we can’t do better? 

Mill make my judgement in the playing squad once some time has past and we can see it taking shape. 

1 hour ago, Moon said:

Slight hyperbole there mate.

I've been on record as saying that we were so bad that we can't get too upset about anyone going as we really need to improve.

But I kinda expected the poorer guys to go first. O'Neil, Wilkie, Gallagher would not have been my first three picks to go 

I think some of the poorer guys you’re referring to may still be under contract. Hopefully we’ll be working on cutting some of them loose, but that’s not as easy as parting company with people whose contracts have naturally expired. 

37 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

And if there isn't we'll at least have lots of fuel for the bitter recrimination that will run for the rest of the season.

Haha, there’ll be plenty people waiting in the wings for that I’m sure.

Murray and Millar now have the responsibility of putting a team on the park capable of challenging for promotion, not just a play off spot. If they don’t, then of course, on their heads be it. However I am willing to give them the chance to do it. It’s going to be an interesting close-season. 

O'Neil was one of the only players I said I'd be disappointed if he were to go. And I am. But come on let's, not kids ourselves that he isn't perfectly replaceable. Also, I'm not entirely comfortable with his maw parading around the Facebook group about how low an offer he was given. Obviously, I'm sure there's some truth to it given he didn't sign but that sort of stuff really doesn't need to be aired publically. And given he allegedly only lives in Coatbridge it seems like there's some hyperbole going on. Players/player's spouses and other family members shouldn't be allowed in that group IMO. Murray and Millar have a budget to sign up new players (including full-timers), offer existing players new deals and will also presumably have set money aside to pay off some of the contracted players (Page and Victoria). Maybe they've offered the likes of Hutton and others improved deals? If the deal they offered Chris was the only deal we could offer him without going over budget then it's a pity he didn't sign but it is what it is. At the end of the day, I don't think any of us would want us blowing our budget on Chris O'Neil. 

The season isn't even over yet and there's still plenty of time for a squad to be signed up and for more comings and goings. The contracted guys will have contract formalities to sort out and possible payoffs or other deals to negotiate that will naturally take longer to deal with than the out of contract players. If by the League Cup/the start of the league campaign we still haven't signed better than the likes of O'Neil/Wilkie/Gallagher then aye it will be fair game to criticise the board and/or management team. But until then it's only fair we give them the chance to sign up a squad. 

Going by the article in the Advertiser with Kieran Millar it seems like there will be more news coming soon too on who's staying and going. 

4 minutes ago, Old Diamond said:

Aiden Meechan being reported as a full time signing according to FB

Think he is/was on the books at the club before? An U19/reserve but been at Gartcairn and Forth Wanderers. Would think he'd be a reserve signing as he fits exactly into that profile but hey could be the next Willie McLaren... 

26 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Murray and Millar have a budget to sign up new players (including full-timers), offer existing players new deals and will also presumably have set money aside to pay off some of the contracted players (Page and Victoria). Maybe they've offered the likes of Hutton and others improved deals? If the deal they offered Chris was the only deal we could offer him without going over budget then it's a pity he didn't sign but it is what it is. At the end of the day, I don't think any of us would want us blowing our budget on Chris O'Neil. 

Murray is a decent negotiator from what I've heard, doesn't surprise me if he's trying to drive down squad player wages. He likes to use a lot of players so keeping squad player wages low is a must for him.  I'd expect a fairly big squad.

Edited by The Moonster