The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

8 hours ago, Moon said:

They can piss off with the colts team idea too.

Aye, it makes a joke of it. I thought it might improve attendances but it seemingly doesn't even do that. People need to REALLY ensure it doesn't end up like Spain. 

Aye, it makes a joke of it. I thought it might improve attendances but it seemingly doesn't even do that. People need to REALLY ensure it doesn't end up like Spain. 

You have to admit though, the idea that colt teams is all that’s required to transform Motherwell into Athletico and Kilmarnock into Valencia is actually a pretty fucking hilarious one.

Wedderburn maybe one paced but he does a few things exceptionally well. He retains possession with relative ease. He rarely misplaces a pass and links up play effectively.

He is also a physical presence at set plays....we could do a lot worse.

11 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Grant Gallagher offski.

Like Duffy can't really argue with that. A good pro and by all accounts a nice guy but we need much better if we genuinely want to challenge. I thought he had a few good games. Done the simple stuff really well, won possession and sprayed about passes but they really were few and far between. If he wasn't playing well he was honking, there didn't seem to be much of an in-between with him but he was always willing to try something while in possession at least. Best of luck to him and to Darryl. 

21 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Like Duffy can't really argue with that. A good pro and by all accounts a nice guy but we need much better if we genuinely want to challenge. I thought he had a few good games. Done the simple stuff really well, won possession and sprayed about passes but they really were few and far between. If he wasn't playing well he was honking, there didn't seem to be much of an in-between with him but he was always willing to try something while in possession at least. Best of luck to him and to Darryl. 

Has he been injured since February or just dropped? I noticed he hasn't played since then.

Surprised at Wilkie, disappointed at O’Neill.
O'Neill was showing some great promise under Murray, a great shame. Also surprised at Wilkie he looked handy and could've done a job off the bench.

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

Has he been injured since February or just dropped? I noticed he hasn't played since then.

Injured himself with a very bad foul on Bobby Linn in stopping a counter attack. Got a yellow card ( could have been Red) . he went off after treatment, tried to com back on and folded. He has been out ever since. Given his career injuries it was another blow for him . He had a competent season but no real creativity. One good goal at Stranraer and a howler pass back to give Brechin the win after one of the best and worst  "Park the Bus" I have ever seen. Not surprised he has gone

Don't disagree with most of them. Disappointed O'Neil is leaving though. But I suppose there's not much we can do if we offer him a contract and he doesn't want to sign. He was a good player but isn't irreplaceable. Likewise with Wilkie. Our best midfielder last season on his day and when he played well and we played through him the team as a whole generally played well. I had a few concerns though about signing him for next season. Firstly he tended to fade out of games really badly and quite quickly. And once he did that you were practically playing with a man down. He also picked up knocks quite frequently. Given that Conroy is signed for next season (and might not be released as a result) I'm not convinced I'd want to go into another season with Wilkie and Conroy ostensibly our options at #10. Think we need somebody much more reliable in there that's going to be able to play every week. 

A bit surprised Scott Gallacher and Kieran Millar was not on that list. 

Would expect/hope we'll maybe get some news on our players signed for next season and whether or not we are able to move some of them on. Really can't see Page or Victoria being here next season and maybe Robertson too. I suppose since they have contracts it will take longer to sort out the contract formalities and hopefully some pay-offs...

41 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:
43 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Surprised at Wilkie, disappointed at O’Neill.

O'Neill was showing some great promise under Murray, a great shame. Also surprised at Wilkie he looked handy and could've done a job off the bench.

I wonder if O'Neil would not go FT? Wilkie had style but injury prone and few 90 minutes.  Still more negotiating going on with the 2 yr guys? 

10 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I wonder if O'Neil would not go FT? Wilkie had style but injury prone and few 90 minutes.  Still more negotiating going on with the 2 yr guys? 

His maw (presumably) was on the Facebook group saying it was too low a deal for him to accept. 

Injured himself with a very bad foul on Bobby Linn in stopping a counter attack. Got a yellow card ( could have been Red) . he went off after treatment, tried to com back on and folded. He has been out ever since. Given his career injuries it was another blow for him . He had a competent season but no real creativity. One good goal at Stranraer and a howler pass back to give Brechin the win after one of the best and worst  "Park the Bus" I have ever seen. Not surprised he has gone

When he signed for us his game was all about physicality. He had a tremendous engine on him, and was aggressive and powerful. Two serious injuries later and he was a a technically pretty average player who lacked what had made him such a success at Stranraer.

I’d be delighted to see us make moves for O’Neill and, especially, Kyle Wilkie. Always been a fan of his.