The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Just seen this post and I feel I need to address it as I personally take great offence at this comment and feel it's claims must be answered.

I was the Trust representative that met with the Advertiser a couple of weeks ago, the Trust have always had a good working relationship with the Advertiser and in particular their last two Sports reporters who we would regularly contact.

I met with them to discuss various upcoming Trust events with the hope that they could help promoting them. To have it said that I would do or say anything to damage the Club I have supported for over 30 years is not only ridiculous but also extremely insulting to me.

I can assure everyone reading this that everything the Trust undertakes is always for the benefit of the club, its fans or the community. The Trust have been working very hard recently running various community events and we have also been doing our very best to find a way to work with the current board at moving forward without much success. This is a very hard situation for us as a collective, as we all want to do our very best to help make our club a positive role model in the community and see the team perform as successfully as possible on the field.

I like all fans am disappointed at the lack of success on the field this season, but to have this said about my role on the Trust committee is very hard to stomach.

I look forward to 'Diamond Dave' or anyone else producing this evidence to back up this claim.

Stephen Eaton
Well, hasn't this aged well.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrieonians-fan-group-hope-board-14973398.amp?__twitter_impression=true

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Well you were slagging our history for some reason, were in the present no the past. If I googled Airdries history I'm sure there would be a wee incident that happened in the early 2000s too so I'm not so sure you're in a position to have a pop at us emoji51.png

Not slagging or having a pop at yourteam, just stating the achievements of the team you support, and they are stillthe holders of the record score 36-0 (which i don't think would mean F##k all to a lot of Arbroath fans). And if you are googling our history, you'll need to search for Airdrieonians, because that's who we are!

So, it’s not Stephen quoted in the article. However that aside, and ignoring the potential time difference between ‘events’, you’ve taken “last ditch attempt to talk and be involved in club” in that article to equate to the “hatchet job” Diamond Dave referred to as being one and the same?? Okay.

Not slagging or having a pop at yourteam, just stating the achievements of the team you support, and they are stillthe holders of the record score 36-0 (which i don't think would mean F##k all to a lot of Arbroath fans). And if you are googling our history, you'll need to search for Airdrieonians, because that's who we are!

They no deed? Like the Rangers?

My first guess, based on your comment, was for a 12 month old article talking about putting fans at the heart of the club.
It's been pointed out many times that the club and stadium are two different entities and the stadium can rent out the pitch to whoever they please. Petty is probably the best way to describe that newspaper article

It's been pointed out many times that the club and stadium are two different entities and the stadium can rent out the pitch to whoever they please. Petty is probably the best way to describe that newspaper article

The word “petty” certainly springs to mind but probably not for the same reasons you’re suggesting it.

How can anybody actually still be arsed with all this internal, factional political bollocks?

We have Been arguing and moaning about it all for 20 years now (minus a few years in the early Ballantyne days when it was decent).

No danger am I sitting through another meeting listening to it all.

I’m the same, I don’t see how this is going to help the situation. Fed-up hearing the same complaints over and over again after another owner is forced out and a new one ushered in. Just let the club get on with things. Appreciate I’m in the unpopular option category.

I was part of the Trust. I've a number of friends still involved, so I'm not taking sides but think a bit of balance in argument is needed. I can see some of the points where the Club / Stadium company are coming from. 

The Trusts aim is to support and promote the club.  There has always been an element of helping charities where we could. But over the last couple of years there has been a big swing to the charity side. I'm not going to name the individual charities as their names shouldn't be brought into this but the list keeps growing and growing. Don't get me wrong these are some great causes. But the burden of most of the Trust activities fall on the Stadium Company / Football Club. I get that the Club get goodwill from helping but at the end of the day the Stadium and Football Club are a businesses and they need some financial gain to survive and grow. 

Also I think people need to take into account. Unlike our previous board, the directors we have now are from the town, as are obviously the Trust. When people bad mouth folk whether through Chinese whispers, gossips or grasses  it has a way of getting back to the other side. 

I don't believe the majority of the people involved in the Trust or Club want a war. The bad blood and antics aren't going to do anyone any good.  People don't need to like one another but do need to find a way to work together. If anyone can't they maybe need to think about removing themselves from the equation. 

Edited by Tory Boy

31 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

I was part of the Trust. I've a number of friends still involved, so I'm not taking sides but think a bit of balance in argument is needed. I can see some of the points where the Club / Stadium company are coming from. 

The Trusts aim is to support and promote the club.  There has always been an element of helping charities where we could. But over the last couple of years there has been a big swing to the charity side. I'm not going to name the individual charities as their names shouldn't be brought into this but the list keeps growing and growing. Don't get me wrong these are some great causes. But the burden of most of the Trust activities fall on the Stadium Company / Football Club. I get that the Club get goodwill from helping but at the end of the day the Stadium and Football Club are a businesses and they need some financial gain to survive and grow. 

Also I think people need to take into account. Unlike our previous board, the directors we have now are from the town, as are obviously the Trust. When people bad mouth folk whether through Chinese whispers, gossips or grasses  it has a way of getting back to the other side. 

I don't believe the majority of the people involved in the Trust or Club want a war. The bad blood and antics aren't going to do anyone any good.  People don't need to like one another but do need to find a way to work together. If anyone can't they maybe need to think about removing themselves from the equation. 

I've never really be involved, made a few of the public meetings but only in times of absolute crisis. I don't really understand why things have broken down so badly but I think you hit the nail on the head, If people can't work together then they're not fulfilling the core aim. 

13 hours ago, Diamond8 said:
13 hours ago, stuartcraig said:
My first guess, based on your comment, was for a 12 month old article talking about putting fans at the heart of the club.

4 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

How can anybody actually still be arsed with all this internal, factional political bollocks?

We have Been arguing and moaning about it all for 20 years now (minus a few years in the early Ballantyne days when it was decent).

No danger am I sitting through another meeting listening to it all.

Agreed. Obviously, we as fans and the Trust as an organised entity of fans need to hold the club to account. But arguing over kids football camps is so trivial and pointless. I don't for one minute believe the stadium company deliberately prevented the Trust from using the stadium for their camps or deliberately made the effort to seek out an independent football camp organisation to use the stadium instead just to 'get back' at the Trust. Maybe Empire booked the stadium before the Trust did? Maybe their deal was better economically? At the end of the day, there's going to be more kids playing football over the holidays. Good. I think there are much more important things we could be using our energy to fight about either now or in the future. 

At this moment in time, I really don't have a reason to have a major grudge against the club and/or the board. They've put out a good statement about their plans for next season (which we asked for and was needed) and things certainly seem to be afoot in that regard. The tinfoil hat brigade is constantly finding all sorts of things that must mean the club have some sort of agenda against the Trust and the fans. But while I do hope that fences can be mended if the board back Millar and Murray as they seem to be willing to do at the moment and we successfully go up a level then I'll certainly be the happiest I've been supporting Airdrie in a long long time.

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

But arguing over kids football camps is so trivial and pointless.

The subject of the argument is relatively unimportant but what it signifies is less trivial if left unresolved.

At best, it highlights a fundamental breakdown in the relationship between two parties who, through working together, can create a lot of benefit for the club and the community.

At worst, it's indicative of the club's attitude towards supporters who want the club to have a community focus, and its willingness to isolate them. 

I don't for one minute believe the stadium company deliberately prevented the Trust from using the stadium for their camps or deliberately made the effort to seek out an independent football camp organisation to use the stadium instead just to 'get back' at the Trust. Maybe Empire booked the stadium before the Trust did? Maybe their deal was better economically?

Without suggesting that is what has happened here, I find it easy to believe that a small business owner would seek to punish a group or individuals who has put their nose out of joint.  It happens all the time in the real word and is hardly "tinfoil hat" territory.

As for the alternative hypotheses you suggest, yeah they're possible but no-one has bothered to explain the decision in these terms.

However let's say, for the sake of argument, that your guess is correct.  If so, it seems as if this whole rammy could have been avoided just with better communication between all of the parties involved.

Edited by stuartcraig