The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

My point caller, is that Wallace is a striker who is not a prolific scorer of goals, and we already have a few of them and as stated in my original post (which you didn't understand) we need a guy. who can stick the ball in the net regularly. Therefore a guy like Wallace would not add anything to the team

Clueless

Wallace is class. No just at scoring at holding the ball up and making things happen. His technique at times is superb. Very good L1 striker who has still scored double figures I'm sure even when he bizarrely fell in and out the team at the turn of the year. Bobby Linn takes the pens too.

No sure he'll be going to Airdrie mind you

SPFL team of the week  MacIntosh in team who pick this?. Aye he scored 2goals a tap in and a deflection ,right enough they all count .O M O  we maybe did have 2or Three players that could have made that team ,MacIntosh was not one of them .

Would never have had Wallace down as a league winner before this season, although always thought he was a decent enough striker at this level. But he's had a cracking season by all accounts at Arbroath. Can't see him coming to us if he's under contract as don't think we'd pay the required fee (I know we allegedly paid money for Page but that's probably enough to put the club off paying transfer fees for life) and he'd surely want another crack at the Championship. The only way I can see him coming here is if; Dick doesn't fancy him for the Championship or we're offering him a full-time contract and/or ridiculous money. I know he lives in Airdrie or is at least from there but he's obviously always been willing to travel throughout his career so far so not sure how much of a factor that would be. I definitely think he'd be an improvement on McIntosh and Duffy at this point. 

I've missed all the Raith games this season so don't think I've actually seen Wedderburn play before. He seems to have a mixed reputation there but he has spent most of his time in Scotland at a higher level. I think he would be an upgrade on Gallagher/Millar/Campbell/Conroy/McIntosh though. 

Again I don't think I've seen Austin play before but he's done very well at this level previously.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Clueless

Wallace is class. No just at scoring at holding the ball up and making things happen. His technique at times is superb. Very good L1 striker who has still scored double figures I'm sure even when he bizarrely fell in and out the team at the turn of the year. Bobby Linn takes the pens too.

Wind your neck in smokie. If he was as good as you think he is, he wouldn't be playing for Arbroath!!!

4 hours ago, Rio 2 said:

My point caller, is that Wallace is a striker who is not a prolific scorer of goals, and we already have a few of them and as stated in my original post (which you didn't understand) we need a guy. who can stick the ball in the net regularly. Therefore a guy like Wallace would not add anything to the team

It seems more like you didn’t understand my original response. 

You can have a great striker, but if nobody creates chances for him, gives him the ball, puts him through on goal, provides goal scoring opportunities, then he won’t score many goals will he? 

This season we did not consistently create opportunities. Wallace clearly does not play as an out and out striker on his own, thus his value to the team and contribution to Arbroath being promoted was his ability to create goal scoring chances for others in the team. Which they took. Meaning they won more games than us. 

I’d quite like someone like that in my team. 

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Clueless

This. 

32 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

It ems more like you didn’t understand my original response. 

You can have a great striker, but if nobody creates chances for him, gives him the ball, puts him through on goal, provides goal scoring opportunities, then he won’t score many goals will he? 

This season we did not consistently create opportunities. Wallace clearly does not play as an out and out striker on his own, thus his value to the team and contribution to Arbroath being promoted was his ability to create goal scoring chances for others in the team. Which they took. Meaning they won more games than us. 

I’d quite like someone like that in my team. 

You're going around in circles. You might end up where you started. :thumsup2

Wind your neck in smokie. If he was as good as you think he is, he wouldn't be playing for Arbroath!!!

Well Arbroath are better than Airdrie, won the league, he was one of our most important players and you just said he wouldn't add anything to your team [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

8 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

Your history is Kilbowie and Ken Eadie.

We've only played at Kilbowie,  when we were playing against Clydebank and as Nipper said Ken Eadie did play for us.

14 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

History means f**k all bud. Our recent history isn't too bad mind you. 3rd title in 8 years Saturday emoji33.png

You just contradicted yourself,  with that statement! 

You just contradicted yourself,  with that statement! 

Well you were slagging our history for some reason, were in the present no the past. If I googled Airdries history I'm sure there would be a wee incident that happened in the early 2000s too so I'm not so sure you're in a position to have a pop at us [emoji51]

32 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I'm sure there would be a wee incident that happened in the early 2000s too so I'm not so sure you're in a position to have a pop at us emoji51.png

Actually two wee incidents now you mention it - back to back Challenge Cup final victories in 2001 and 2002 (there are another two but we shouldn't boast)

How many have you won?

Wedderburn is a bizarre player. He seems like a lumbering oaf when you watch him but he'll happily Cruyff turn three players and get away with ease. He's more consistent than Gillespie but never outstanding. He's a standard midfielder for this season who I'd probably take in my team over any of Airdrie's current centre midfielders. And yet, even with him being link as leaving us I'm not too concerned.