The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

20 minutes ago, Nipper said:

Ryan Wallace is well known to me and I also know what he's capable of.

Don't know much about Wedderburn.

Wedderburn is the large guy who dominated midfield when we played Raith.  he is not the fastest in the world but he was hard to dispossess and very safe in keeping the ball and passing it on. I think he was at Dumferline before Raith? There are mixed views about him on the Raith threads and I don't think he would be an answer for our midfield weaknesses. As for Ryan he has prospered since we released him and Scott Gibson after that fracas ( Gibson back to the Juniors eventually?)  I would have thought Arbroath would have retained him for next season . He certainly would improve our forward threat but I don't know how Murray sees him. Close season rumours are great for giving us something to ponder. 

2 hours ago, Diamond diehard said:

Hearing that we are looking at signing wedderburn from Raith and Ryan Wallace for next season. Thoughts? 

More jobbers. I like Wallace but he’s a striker with fewer goals than Leighton McIntosh while playing for the league champions. 

Wedderburn looks like a diddy anytime I’ve seen him. Was bossed around by Ryan f*cking Conroy in the 4-3 game (and had naff all to do with turning it around that day). Hope your source is well wide of the mark. 

More jobbers. I like Wallace but he’s a striker with fewer goals than Leighton McIntosh while playing for the league champions. 
Wedderburn looks like a diddy anytime I’ve seen him. Was bossed around by Ryan f*cking Conroy in the 4-3 game (and had naff all to do with turning it around that day). Hope your source is well wide of the mark. 

Wallace’s all-round game is much better than McIntosh. Sure Wallace is our leading assist maker.

8 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Wallace’s all-round game is much better than McIntosh. Sure Wallace is our leading assist maker.

Don't need an assist maker!

We need a guy, who can stick the ball in the net, regularly. 

1 hour ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

..... who need people to set up chances for them.

We’ve  hardly been good at creating a lot of chances this season.....

Yeah, I agree. Murray seems to have sorted out our defensive problems but we have a serious lack of creativity and energy in midfield and attack.

3 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

..... who need people to set up chances for them.

We’ve  hardly been good at creating a lot of chances this season.....

Which means a good midfielder! Or winger.

Or Andy Robertson!

47 minutes ago, Rio 2 said:

Which means a good midfielder! Or winger.

Or Andy Robertson!

So if, as an Arbroath fan stated above, Wallace is Arbroath’s leading assist maker, then why would that be a bad thing? They won the league and he set up more of their goals than anyone else in their team. Sounds just like what we need. 

22 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

Back in the "good old days", the club had a captive audience.  Football teams have an awful lot of competition from other sources these days - it makes sense for a club owner to do what they can to keep and grow their customer base.

Unless you're playing Football Manager, winning successive league championships with Airdrie isn't really a viable option for doing this.

Livingstone managed it(with a core of our ex players) & Ayr looking at the playoffs this year. Hamilton were where we are when JB took over & look where they are now managing to maintain a spot in the Premier season after season. Falkirk / Partick / St Mirren/ even Dumbarton have all enjoyed success & failure in recent years it is about getting the support core above 1000 & maintaining a support ranging from 1300 to 2000 in the upper two leagues we have just managed this ambition badly JB not investing when in the league above / wrong management choices we all know what has gone wrong I fear this may be our last chance to get it right & alienating an already dwindling core support will not help but a winning team will be a start.

2 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

So if, as an Arbroath fan stated above, Wallace is Arbroath’s leading assist maker, then why would that be a bad thing? They won the league and he set up more of their goals than anyone else in their team. Sounds just like what we need. 

The Arbroath fan also stated that Wallaces all round game is better than McIntosh's (who, I believe is one of our strikers) 

11 minutes ago, Rio 2 said:

The Arbroath fan also stated that Wallaces all round game is better than McIntosh's (who, I believe is one of our strikers) 

So what’s your point caller? He’s supposedly better than McIntosh and can set up goals. Why would you not want someone like that in the team?

Or are you saying strikers shouldn’t be setting up goals?

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

24 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

So what’s your point caller? He’s supposedly better than McIntosh and can set up goals. Why would you not want someone like that in the team?

Or are you saying strikers shouldn’t be setting up goals?

My point caller, is that Wallace is a striker who is not a prolific scorer of goals, and we already have a few of them and as stated in my original post (which you didn't understand) we need a guy. who can stick the ball in the net regularly. Therefore a guy like Wallace would not add anything to the team

2 hours ago, CumbyDiamond said:

Livingstone managed it(with a core of our ex players) & Ayr looking at the playoffs this year. Hamilton were where we are when JB took over & look where they are now managing to maintain a spot in the Premier season after season. Falkirk / Partick / St Mirren/ even Dumbarton have all enjoyed success & failure in recent years

Can a club achieve back to back promotions?  Yes but it's a rare exception rather than the rule and not something most competent business owners would bank their commercial viability on.

Could Airdrie have reasonably achieved the same level of success as Hamilton?  If it was a simple as the potential size of our support then I'd say yes but, given that they've stayed up for 5 years with the lowest support by some margin, I doubt that it was that simple, or that we could have reasonably replicated the  other conditions which drove their success.

Could we achieve the level of success enjoyed (at their recent peak) by Falkirk, Partick, St Mirren and Dumbarton?  Ish.  If we start doing things correctly then we should aspire to become a regular feature in the Championship and then build from there.

alienating an already dwindling core support will not help but a winning team will be a start

It's better than alienating the support and not winning I suppose but probably not as good as engaging the support while winning.

Regarding Wedderburn your welcome to him and as for Nathan Austin we had agreed a deal last year for him but unfortunately Inverness came in at the last minute I believe. Regarding full time if Rovers are making a considerable loss on gates  double your average how are you expecting to finance deals for Austin and Wedderburn?

Edited by basher brash

8 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

Yeah, I agree. Murray seems to have sorted out our defensive problems but we have a serious lack of creativity and energy in midfield and attack.

Sorting out the defensive problems is largely down to just playing a very defensive system though. Any time the opposition attack us in the final third we have 10 men behind the ball, with McIntosh up front on his own. That's not a criticism of Murray, he did what he had to do to stop us getting relegated. However, I'm wary if thinking that we are fine defensively so all we need to do is sort out going forward and we'll be flying. I'd like to think when we get some better forwards in we'll play a more attacking style of football which will ultimately mean that the defence, which at the moment is getting a lot of protection, will be more exposed. The current standard of our defenders I don't think would cut it without that protection.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever