The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I'm sure Glass and Houston are trying their best, and that in time they could develop into good players, but at the moment they're not good enough to start in our first team. Given that we were (are) in a relegation scrap and, could end up in a promotion play-off, we don't really have the luxury or the time to help them develop, especially when they're not even our own players. Maybe a bit harsh on Glass as he clearly has some potential but we've been night & day since Wilkie has come back into the team at his expense. Also, if Houston has any ambition of making it at Rangers he'll need to develop a thicker skin so that a couple of folk calling him pish on P&B doesn't bother him. 
Good to see Cammy Russell score a hat-trick on Saturday. It's a much lower level granted but he's clearly benefiting from a run of games at first-team level. Not sure if he'll be able to play in their playoff games (or ours [emoji6] ) but he'd be a loss for them if he can't. 
Declan Glass- five aside superstar.

3 hours ago, Moon said:

Got to admit, I've been a bit disappointed in Houston., I expected more, but maybe he needs time at this level. Problem for him is that he is up against Stewart and potentially Robertson or O'Neil depending on formation so he really had to hit the ground running.

Glass is fine, but Wilkie has been generally very good when fit so he's up against it too.

Delighted with the last 2 wins, I said we needed 3 to definitely avoid the relegation play offs so reckon we will be ok as we'll win another before all is said and done.

Question is, do we have the mentality to kick on and get in to the promotion play offs? Tomorrow night will tell us a lot. We know that if we win we have East Fife on Saturday and the chance to get in to the top 4 will be in our own hands. Got to be seen as a motivating factor rather than having them crumbling under the pressure.

A big chance for an under delivering squad to prove something.

I think we've won every game Wilkie has scored in, so when he's fit and firing he's clearly a difference maker - and for me if that means only getting an hour out of him then getting fresh legs on then so be it. I thought Wilkie and Conroy off Duffy worked as well as any front 3 since Christmas last weekend and it gives us McIntosh and Carrick's energy off the bench, plus Glass in reserve too.

So far I don't think we've done nearly enough to earn a place in the play offs, but 2 wins in the next 2 would but us in the driving seat and it would be hard to argue we hadn't done it the hard way if we do somehow make it. Tomorrow is a bigger concern for me than Saturday as Dumbarton will be right up for this one and we might switch off now that there's a decent gap to 9th.

17 minutes ago, TheBuckfastTriangle said:

I think we've won every game Wilkie has scored in, so when he's fit and firing he's clearly a difference maker - and for me if that means only getting an hour out of him then getting fresh legs on then so be it. I thought Wilkie and Conroy off Duffy worked as well as any front 3 since Christmas last weekend and it gives us McIntosh and Carrick's energy off the bench, plus Glass in reserve too.

So far I don't think we've done nearly enough to earn a place in the play offs, but 2 wins in the next 2 would but us in the driving seat and it would be hard to argue we hadn't done it the hard way if we do somehow make it. Tomorrow is a bigger concern for me than Saturday as Dumbarton will be right up for this one and we might switch off now that there's a decent gap to 9th.

Got to think that we will have a bit more pride than switch off,a chance to get in the play offs at the right end .

Just had a look a the run in to the end of the season and if we are going to nick the playoff spot from East Fife we will need a really good run, I figure that we need to beat  East Fife, Stenhousemuir and Stranraer and get at least a point off Montrose and Arbroath to nick it on goal difference on 52 points.  Montrose have by far the hardest run, all five games are against the teams currently occupying the playoff spots and ourselves so I see than dropping points to finish below us, I reckon the Fifers will pick up about another eight points which would leave them also  on 52.   One slip up and we are out of it, so I am not getting my hopes up at all - I can just see us at Stranraer on the last day battling out the win but needing East Fife to draw at home to Forfar, only to hear that a late home winner has gone in at Methil - remember the 10th of May 2003!!!!

26 minutes ago, Old Diamond said:

Just had a look a the run in to the end of the season and if we are going to nick the playoff spot from East Fife we will need a really good run, I figure that we need to beat  East Fife, Stenhousemuir and Stranraer and get at least a point off Montrose and Arbroath to nick it on goal difference on 52 points.  Montrose have by far the hardest run, all five games are against the teams currently occupying the playoff spots and ourselves so I see than dropping points to finish below us, I reckon the Fifers will pick up about another eight points which would leave them also  on 52.   One slip up and we are out of it, so I am not getting my hopes up at all - I can just see us at Stranraer on the last day battling out the win but needing East Fife to draw at home to Forfar, only to hear that a late home winner has gone in at Methil - remember the 10th of May 2003!!!!

Aye  ,very ,very late winner ,it was a sickener ,did we go up at Alloa the next year I am sure my grandson was on the pitch at the end .it was like win the Scottish cup .

50 minutes ago, Old Diamond said:

I don't fancy us to make it either although there's no reason why we can't finish above Montrose. Either way, I'm happy that we seem to be out of the rut we were in post-Celtic.

2 minutes ago, airdrie_3 said:

couldn’t make it last night due to work, saw the score but how did we actually play?

Thought we played well, particularly in the first half, without ever truly dominating. The game was end to end although it is disappointing not being able to see out our lead (twice). Thought we tired badly in the second half and could have done with a couple of subs to bring in some fresh legs to provide energy and drive in the midfield as well as get some composure on the ball. Subs didn't come on until it was too late though in terms of the momentum of the game. Dumbarton got a real second win from their substitutions which IMO was a big factor in them getting a point and we badly lacked that.

25 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Aye  ,very ,very late winner ,it was a sickener ,did we go up at Alloa the next year I am sure my grandson was on the pitch at the end .it was like win the Scottish cup .

Was some day!

Utter nuisance but if it brings a younger generation to watch airdrie we’ll just have to put up with it

Ach, I admit I have skin in this game but I have to ask who are they really upsetting?

Also, I have to admit a grudging admiration for those Forfar lads (pretendy hard men act aside).

I can’t think of any point in the game where they were anything less than committed to their art.

Utter nuisance but if it brings a younger generation to watch airdrie we’ll just have to put up with it

Personally I think it’s great. Younger fans clubbing together, buying drums etc . Spending time / money making flags and banners and having a blast supporting their local team and winding up opposition ... what’s not to like ? We were all young and rebellious once ... and I for one hope I’m never too much of an old killjoy to not appreciate them .

Personally I think it’s great. Younger fans clubbing together, buying drums etc . Spending time / money making flags and banners and having a blast supporting their local team and winding up opposition ... what’s not to like ? We were all young and rebellious once ... and I for one hope I’m never too much of an old killjoy to not appreciate them .

f**k them fucking nuisance