The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

9 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Seems to be well thought of in that sort of role. He's also been a scout or head scout at Ross County, West Brom, Aberdeen and Dumbarton. Couldn't tell you with any certainty what players he helped to sign at each respective club but he joined Ross County the season they beat us to the second division title (07/08) and they've certainly progressed tenfold in the intervening years in comparison to us. He joined Dumbarton in the Championship and I'm pretty sure he left before they got relegated. I'm sure @Ross Forbes could provide a complete summary of his time there.  I would also say Stranraer's recruitment has been better than ours this season vis-a-vis each clubs' budgets, aims and resources. 

We've seen this season how much bad recruitment can f**k you over. We obviously didn't have the right manager or recruitment structure in place to do it well. Getting Stan in to work with Murray, who knows this level of football well, could be a difference maker. 

Just to add a wee bit to what The Moonster said, our recruitment got worse when Stuart left (or certainly more scattergun), and I think getting him in to help Muzz out would be an excellent bit of business.

He seems to have very good connections with a few Premiership clubs, namely Celtic who loaned us Calum Waters, Jamie Lindsay and Joe Thomson during his time with us - all of whom are very, very good players. During his time we also brought in Eamonn Brophy and Daniel Harvie on loan - and both of those guys have gone on to do pretty well for themselves. Obviously it's difficult to say 100% which signings were his, but I was always under the impression that quite a few of the loanees were related to him - and the quality of them certainly dropped off after he departed. He strikes me as someone with excellent contacts and a good reputation in the game.

In the summer of 2017 and the summer of 2018 Aitken seriously struggled to build a well balanced squad. Now I'm not saying that. that was down to Stuart leaving, but it might've had some impact. Given Muzz's recruitment was pretty poor once Jack Ross left (his strengths are as a coach and manager imo, not a recruiter) then I really think he'd be an asset for you.

1 hour ago, CumbyDiamond said:

See Victoria missed a sitter last night Looks like sending him Stranraer way has done us a turn after all we now need a result against on form Brechin though.

Miss a sitter .... keeper round time to roll it into the back of the net and I think he still waiting to take the shot, looks a decent player when hes not hiding behind defenders

On 25/03/2019 at 10:05, Airdrie Minded said:
On 25/03/2019 at 10:05, Airdrie Minded said:

Anybody hear any rumours on Saturday about Stuart Millar being appointed Director of Football? It was being talked about at half time. I think he’s been in a similar role at Stranraer until recently (also an ex-player).

With a full time manager already in place, not sure how it’ll work at a club our size. If true, I’m sure the club will be forthcoming with a communication shortly (as ever...)

Going by the Stranraer FC Facebook page you've got him.:whistle

Hopefully that's the missing link between now, and getting a decent team on the park.
As he mentions in his article, its about gradual improvement.
If we consolidate this year, then next year the minimum aim has to be the playoffs, no doubt about it. If we could be challenging for the title at the halfway point, great. Or with 10 games to go, even better, but the MINIMUM has got to be the Promotion playoffs and have a squad that for once we could think, "we might have a shot here".
Its been far too long since we've had a team we enjoyed watching.

It looked for a long time that next season was going to be a real tough one, with the potential of Falkirk and Partick Thistle coming down and  being fairly obvious favourites to go straight back up, but things are changing  - Alloa have run out of steam  and QOS look to be in freefall, should these two come down and Raith accompany Arbroath in going  up I think that pairing would possibly present less of a challenge.  Peterhead look likely to come up and although I don't see them being a pushover i can't see them challenging at the top end of the table.    All in all the league is shaping up to be a fairly level playing field which could be there for the taking!

It looked for a long time that next season was going to be a real tough one, with the potential of Falkirk and Partick Thistle coming down and  being fairly obvious favourites to go straight back up, but things are changing  - Alloa have run out of steam  and QOS look to be in freefall, should these two come down and Raith accompany Arbroath in going  up I think that pairing would possibly present less of a challenge.  Peterhead look likely to come up and although I don't see them being a pushover i can't see them challenging at the top end of the table.    All in all the league is shaping up to be a fairly level playing field which could be there for the taking!
I just get the feeling that Raith previous play off form (like ourselves) would be enough to see them stay in this division, and I've got a sneaky feeling our old Cumbernauld flatmates will be joining Peterhead in coming up at the expense of Stenny and Stranraer, leaving a division of.....

Airdrie
Alloa
Brechin
Clyde
Dumbarton
East Fife
Forfar
Montrose
Peterhead
Raith Rovers.

Out of those 10 teams, I would only genuinely be surprised if Clyde or Montrose actually won the league, it certainly looks like the most level playing field in many a year.

What a time to find a wee bit of form.
The next 2 games are absolutely massive.
After what can only be described as a clusterf*ck of a season to be within striking distance of a playoff spot is mental. Just sums up this league TBF, If it wasn't for Arbroath blistering start to the season, there really wouldn't be much between anyone.

Huge win. If we'd lost today we would have been right in the mix for relegation. Instead we can forget that and we actually have a realistic chance of the promotion play-offs. Think we've benefited from a couple of the young loanees dropping out and going with a more solid experienced side in the last couple of games.

Huge win. If we'd lost today we would have been right in the mix for relegation. Instead we can forget that and we actually have a realistic chance of the promotion play-offs. Think we've benefited from a couple of the young loanees dropping out and going with a more solid experienced side in the last couple of games.

Send the young loanees back to their parent clubs as far as I’m concerned.

Watched the fly on the wall segment on the BBC Scotland football show, Airdrie v Forfar and wasn't to impressed with the team talk, not very inspiring, even although we won the game!

Watched the fly on the wall segment on the BBC Scotland football show, Airdrie v Forfar and wasn't to impressed with the team talk, not very inspiring, even although we won the game!

He says it how it is he ain’t gonna tell them bs it’s must win games now until the end of the season