The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Agree with Chapelhall chap on all of those observations but sometimes it is even simpler to look at the two opposing teams even before the game starts. Forfar have players who are far more comfortable and composed on the ball. They have a forward line who are always going to threaten and above all they have a clear idea of what is expected of them and carry it out for their manager. We were always going to struggle against them. Findlay has to take the blame for assembling a squad who by and large cannot retain possession and who do not know how to put the ball in the net. Murray has brought in the two young guys as stop gaps until he remedies the situation but the season is finished as far as I'm comcerned.

I think the managers job now is to keep us in this division,down to the standard of player he has inherited, a bit concerned with his team selection ,on a day with the wind and conditions bad ,he plays Conroy .just feel Airdrie team and directors have let the few  real fans that are left down  and with little hope of improvement  in the near future .

The key mistake was giving Findley the job. They backed their manager but clearly he brought in players with no idea of the system he wanted them to play as I don't think we have an actual team even though we have more than enough players numerically.

As I said last week, we all have our favourite players, even from this team. But none should be safe in the summer other than Hutton. Being cold hearted, we can improve on every single one of the outfield players.

We're 9 points off 4th and 9 points off 9th. I can't see either of those gaps being met TBH which means we'll have an exciting end to the season duking it out for 5th place with Montrose... 

Apart from Hutton and O'Neil, I wouldn't be sorry to see any of those players go. I really like Murray but I think it's clear the system that was working for us before the Celtic game isn't working anymore (downed tools because they don't have a big cup game on the tele?).  The main problem IMO is that there's just no attacking cutting edge at all. A midfield of Gallagher, Millar and Campbell isn't going to create anything. Stewart is wildly inconsistent. Glass is talented but very raw. Wilkie has his moments but can't seem to play more than two games without getting injured. And Conroy is just keek. Up front - Duffy is still our best finisher, and I would start him every week, but how long can we realistically expect him to lead the line for? McIntosh definitely adds something to the team but isn't going to score every week and, no harm to him, but he probably misses more chances than he scores. Carrick is a great footballer but isn't a goalscorer at all. Joao is signed up for next season but is he already a busted flush? Russell is a prospect but very young to relied upon week in week out. 

I think we've generally been okay since Murray arrived but there's still room for improvement there too. Crighton and MacDonald have done well but you wouldn't miss them and could be replaced in the summer if they were to go. I like Edwards a lot but he's still a young man learning his trade. Robertson is an expensive reserve player (on a two year deal) and the Page situation is an utter joke. Whoever sanctioned paying a fee to sign him should be sacked on the spot if they haven't already left the club. 

Whatever happens, Murray has a huge rebuilding job on his hands. I have faith in him being able to do it but the board have already sunk a lot of money into this season's failure of a manager and squad. Whilst I hope they're as generous to Murray as they were to Findlay I could understand if they wanted to wait until all of the jobbers on two-year contracts ran their contracts out and they got to start on a clean slate in two years time rather than pay them off. I hope that isn't what happens though because god knows what will be left of the fanbase by that point. 

I mostly agree with that, but for me Duffy is useless in a team like ours. He needs service and can't create anything without it.  I'm pulling for Carrick but last week I realised that it just wasn't going to happen for him. We've tried letting him play his way out of it and it didn't work, not sure what else can be done?

I'm still not sure what it is that Miller does, and I'm not even trying to be cheeky about it.  I was looking forward to seeing him at the start of the season but he's the invisible man.

Nothing to see here. Move along. Everything is fine. Willie leaving the board is totally ok and not at all related to the way that PH is running the club. 

Same as Gavin Spiers leaving wasn't. Same as Walter Spiers leaving wasn't. Same as Bobby Watson leaving wasn't. Same as Stuart Shields leaving wasn't. 

Let's all just ignore it and back the team, eh? 

I know that I'm being a total and utter hypocrite on this, given my previous (and IMO justified) verbal beasting of those "in the know", but if anyone actually knows what the hell is going on at boardroom level, spill it. Even if it means making another account to do so anonymously.

We really don't need any further drama off the field. It's a bit grim that Willie has resigned. The intimation from the trust statement suggests votes are going to be taken at the forthcoming meeting. I'm not sure about the significance of this but it's clear that there's an issue at board level. All I've heard about PH is that he's an ego. I don't mind an ego as long as he's got the clubs best interests at heart. I guess this Trust meeting will clarify the thoughts of Willie on whether this is the case.

I'm going to miss the meeting as I'm away from home. Be grateful if someone could post the gist of the meeting on here.

4 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Whatever happens, Murray has a huge rebuilding job on his hands.

Whilst I hope they're as generous to Murray as they were to Findlay I could understand if they wanted to wait until all of the jobbers on two-year contracts ran their contracts out and they got to start on a clean slate in two years time rather than pay them off. I hope that isn't what happens though because god knows what will be left of the fanbase by that point. 

Agree with your whole post but these bits in particular. This season is done so anyone who isn’t going to be here next year should be out from now on. Build for next season now.  Duffy is the best finisher we have but going forward, particularly given the size of our pitch, he’s not going to play 90 minutes very often so I don’t mind him being used as a sub too much. Defence has no balance without MacDonald which is down to Findlay. Would love to see Cairns  back in too. 

21 hours ago, Nipples said:

Nothing to see here. Move along. Everything is fine. Willie leaving the board is totally ok and not at all related to the way that PH is running the club. 

Same as Gavin Spiers leaving wasn't. Same as Walter Spiers leaving wasn't. Same as Bobby Watson leaving wasn't. Same as Stuart Shields leaving wasn't. 

Let's all just ignore it and back the team, eh? 

Surprised the trust lasted as long. And surprised by the lack of scrutiny from the fans as to what's going on.  The vision of a consortium with wide shoulders and the welfare of the club front and centre has been destroyed from within. I'm not in the know. But what is clear is PH is no team player. He will get his way whatever it costs. 

The main question now is what happens to the tens of thousands of pounds the trust and others spent buying Wotherspoon's shares. 

The resignation of Willie Marshall from the Board is just about the last straw for me, a fact which the Club have yet to acknowledge to the fans. I also note that Dougy’s name is no longer shown on the Club site which doesn’t bode well. 

When I think how happy I was that at last the Board had several Airdrie supporters on it and then look at us now. The 2 Spiers, Shields,  Marshall and Watson all gone. I would bet that Ferguson will soon follow.

There is  something rotten in our Club. Hopefully, Wednesday’s meeting will enlighten us although Willie may be constrained in what he can say.

Apart from what’s going on behind the scenes, the Board is treating us with contempt by non communication. I’ve never even seen a picture of PH.

Some people think that all that matters is what happens on the park but I don’t agree. I was at hospitality last year and the place was buzzing. I was proud of how hard we were trying to become a community Club. Now look at us. The off the field goings on are more distressing to me than the team ‘s performance .

After 50 years supporting Airdrie through thick and thin I am seriously reviewing my position.

The resignation of Willie Marshall from the Board is just about the last straw for me, a fact which the Club have yet to acknowledge to the fans. I also note that Dougy’s name is no longer shown on the Club site which doesn’t bode well. 
When I think how happy I was that at last the Board had several Airdrie supporters on it and then look at us now. The 2 Spiers, Shields,  Marshall and Watson all gone. I would bet that Ferguson will soon follow.
There is  something rotten in our Club. Hopefully, Wednesday’s meeting will enlighten us although Willie may be constrained in what he can say.
Apart from what’s going on behind the scenes, the Board is treating us with contempt by non communication. I’ve never even seen a picture of PH.
Some people think that all that matters is what happens on the park but I don’t agree. I was at hospitality last year and the place was buzzing. I was proud of how hard we were trying to become a community Club. Now look at us. The off the field goings on are more distressing to me than the team ‘s performance .
After 50 years supporting Airdrie through thick and thin I am seriously reviewing my position.

Soon dougy ain’t gonna be the commercial for much longer Everyone knows that!Mr Airdrie Good luck to the man

7 hours ago, waysider said:

Well at least we're not getting fed with " he wants to spend more time with his family " . 

Events off the field as important as on the field,one thing for sure you will enjoy the events off the field (ie) hospitality a lot more than the entertainment on the field ,Get that Celtic money  used to bring in some decent players ,start rebuild once again for next season,you would think there is only so long you can keep playing the same bad players every week ,One thing seems clear ,if we are to challenge for this league most will have to go,for a few years now most other teams look more up for the challenge,and not all the time but mostly more skilful aswell .

I'm keen to know what has prompted this move at this particular time....is it a build up of factors or is it a "new" issue?

In more general terms, I think that we need to clear what the Trust is on the board for - they are there to be a voice of Trust members. To be the voice of Trust members the Trust membership needs to be updated on what's going on. There will always be business legalities or the like that can't be reported back, but other than that any rep that rejoins the board must be able to report back.

I can only imagine that Willie hasn't been able to share what he has wanted to share over the course of his tenure, so hopefully going forward that can be resolved. (assuming that we will have a salvageable situation and aren't facing armageddon....again)

1 hour ago, Moon said:

I'm keen to know what has prompted this move at this particular time....is it a build up of factors or is it a "new" issue?

In more general terms, I think that we need to clear what the Trust is on the board for - they are there to be a voice of Trust members. To be the voice of Trust members the Trust membership needs to be updated on what's going on. There will always be business legalities or the like that can't be reported back, but other than that any rep that rejoins the board must be able to report back.

I can only imagine that Willie hasn't been able to share what he has wanted to share over the course of his tenure, so hopefully going forward that can be resolved. (assuming that we will have a salvageable situation and aren't facing armageddon....again)

I don't think they'll be anyone from the trust going on the board any time soon.

It always struck me as a difficult tightrope to walk. I always thought of a fan rep on the board as someone who stands on the middle ground, independently, between the two.