The Basement Battle: Alloa v Bairns

2 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Alloa were better today than they were in the first game, the factors of today's game definitely played part today in that we didn't want to lose yet had the better chances to put the game to bed.

4 straight defeats in row is dodgy, you have our 5 straight defeats to beat tho and Partick's 7

The old Ebbe Skovdahl quote would apply nicely here. Anyway, 3 league defeats and 2 of them against the top 2 in the league. Today was the damaging one but that still doesn't equal a dodgy 2019 as you suggested. If get to 5 straight league defeats though then yes we are in serious bother. 

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

You have to be on the wind up. Dixon and McShane especially today showed we are a class above to the Hartley mess. Both teams struggled with the conditions and dominated when assisted with the wind. We could have quite easily had 3/4 today. I can’t recall Burgoyne making any saves.

Yep, the last game we won by 2 goals, but Alloa could (and probably should have) had a couple of goals of their own. They had nothing like as many decent opportunities today, and given the massive importance of today’s result, and given the weather, it was no surprise to see both teams having 45 minutes of dominance.

Excellent result for us and delighted to be off the bottom but it is fair to say it didn't feel entirely comfortable despite Alloa only having 1 shot on target.

In the first half we were way too deep, Osman and Paton were totally ineffective with the ball just passing them by constantly as Alloa played some nice football getting in behind over and over again until they eventually got a goal, they really should have taken more advantage of that effective play and should have had more.

In the second half we got Waddington and Paton further forward and got them into the game, pressing higher up the park which stopped their CB's and midfielders playing really easy balls in behind us. Petra worked hard again and was our best attacking outlet for the whole game, but he can't play as a winger and a striker at the same time so wasn't able to be on the end of Rudden's crosses into the box.

It is incredibly frustrating watching Rudden knock his pan in all on his own up the top though, I really want to see 2 up top. I think Todorov showed what he might be capable off when he was on today, winning balls in the air, holding it up and bringing others into play. Both of them starting up front could be a partnership that works for us as I just don't think we should be starting games with 2 sitting midfielders and just giving other teams control of the ball for most of the match.

2 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Any factor for the wind in your assessment of the first half. No team could play into that!

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt about playing it into the wind making it hard to play high balls, compounded by the tight park making it more difficult to play on the floor but the wind has no impact on our team shape, how deep we are, lack of pressing beyond the half way line or only playing 1 man up top.

Very disappointing from an Alloa point of view. We started the game very well and were well on top for opening twenty minutes. Failed to turn that into a goal and conceded from Falkirk's first genuine chance. Good work from Rudden and an excellent header right where Parry couldn't get it, although could certainly have been defended better. We responded well and deserved the equaliser. 1-1 was a very poor reflection on the first half for Alloa. 

Ridiculous goal conceded then at the start of the second half and although we did have two close calls after that our play was more ragged and Falkirk had chances too, indeed they looked more likely to score in the second half.  Damage done before that for us. 

Falkirk didn't look significantly better today than the team they had previously but the main thing for them was to find a way to win and they did. For Alloa the frustration is that much of it was self inflicted. If we do go down then we won't need to look far beyond losing both home games against Falkirk. 

However, the team has consistently bounced back and is capable of doing so again. Some crucial games in the weeks ahead and we must start winning again. Ideally starting next Saturday. 

GIRUY, you are talking utter pish. f**k off to the seaside leagues

Alloa were never in that game. I never once felt like we were under pressure. Their keeper made a cracking save to stop it being 3 near the end. Apart from that I can't remember seeing anything at worth mentioning or being worried about. Missed their goal so can't even include that. I thought mcshane was class today. Defence done well and demi played great again. That pitch is a joke. Watching from behind the goals it was strange to see a player so far onto the pitch to take a throw. Mckinnon seemed to make a quick exit. He passed us in his car whilst we were still waiting at those roadworks. 

Alloa were never in that game. I never once felt like we were under pressure. Their keeper made a cracking save to stop it being 3 near the end. Apart from that I can't remember seeing anything at worth mentioning or being worried about. Missed their goal so can't even include that. I thought mcshane was class today. Defence done well and demi played great again. That pitch is a joke. Watching from behind the goals it was strange to see a player so far onto the pitch to take a throw. Mckinnon seemed to make a quick exit. He passed us in his car whilst we were still waiting at those roadworks. 

FH reporting that McKinnon has an eye infection and kept a distance from all the players & staff today, even on the touch line.

I thought we started the game well and scored with our first meaningful attack. Then we were quite comfortable at that point but lost a disappointing goal on the counter attack. After that I thought Alloa were the better side with the goal giving them a lift, but with both sided keeping their shape and the wind causing havoc that was pretty much it for the first half. Second half, we came out and scored straight away and never looked back. I thought we controlled the game well and were unlucky not to score a couple more. Delighted with the 3 points, didn't really matter how we got them in the end but the way these new players have gone about their business since they've come in has been hugely pleasing. 3 wins and 2 draws from 5 matches so far, if we can keep that up we'll be absolutely fine 

I'm sure you do have better players now and the results certainly indicate so. However based on the two games at the Recs you were better in the first game. Falkirk ended up being fairly comfortable that day. Alloa were very clearly the better side in the first half today and even the second half was fairly even. Centre of your defence was not convincing. 
As for Alloa being dodgy in 2019 that's not altogether true. We had a terrific comeback against Dunfermline and a well deserved win over Morton. We outplayed St Mirren on their ground for an hour and we matched Ross County and Ayr the last two games despite losing. However, today was a real blow and we must start winning again if we are to stay in the fight. 
What fucking game were you watching? The game was fairly even in the first half but we were by far the better side in the second half. You created nothing in the second half yet you think it was fairly even?

something not quite right today. why did jim bring on Cawley with 5 minutes left , the boy Hamilton is out of his depth 

I think jim is slightly losing the plot.

Falkirk deserved the win today , our defending at the second was laughable..

we are going backwards just when I thought we would kick on..

Scottish Championship Form (Last 10)

Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts Last 10

1 Ross County 10 6 2 2 15 12 3 20

WWDDWWLLWW

2 Falkirk 10 4 4 2 17 14 3 16

WDdLLWDDWW

3 Dundee Utd 10 4 3 3 13 15 -2 15

WLDDWLDWLW

4 Ayr 10 3 4 3 15 10 5 13

dWDdDLLWLW

5 Queen of Sth 10 3 4 3 13 13 0 13

DWDdLDWWLL