The Basement Battle: Alloa v Bairns

It’s not the ground for me, that’s pretty standard lower league stuff, and everyone including Alloa accepts that they are punching above their weight just now.

Its the pitch, and conscious decision to make every home game collapse into anti-football.  The current Alloa team are way better than that.

I do find it incredible when I look at those pitch markings and see just how much Alloa have narrowed that pitch. I think that’s more of a culprit than the surface tbh. However you can’t deny that Alloa are competitive this season so perhaps it works for them.

I noticed someone mention we are no better than we were pre-Xmas. Seriously?

We are a million miles better and unbeaten in the league this year. If we keep this up the 9 point gap to the fourth promotion play off spot won’t be completely out of reach....

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Sevennil said:

A football ground where supporters can spectate from all four sides of the pitch seems to be bringing out the jealous rage in some of them, perhaps their age if they’re a post-Brockville era supporter 

https://www.newsflare.com/video/253206/sport/fan-chucked-out-of-falkirk-stadium-climbs-tree-to-watch-game

You can watch from all 4 sides just takes a little creativity.

Some of our fans are fucking loonies. Screaming incessantly at Thomson for nothing very much. At one point the ball came off a Falkirk player and into touch - clear as day and not 20 ft from me. Guy near me going apoplectic with rage when Thomson correctly gave the throw to Alloa (and I'm not talking about the guy near the front who clearly has mental health issues)

4 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I do find it incredible when I look at those pitch markings and see just how much Alloa have narrowed that pitch. I think that’s more of a culprit than the surface tbh. However you can’t deny that Alloa are competitive this season so perhaps it works for them.

It’s the width I mean.  It’s awful for football, and horrible to watch as you can’t tell where the edges are from the low viewpoint.

2 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

It very obviously doesn't work for us. We are a good footballing side and have been more effective away from home. It took us about half the season to get used to playing on the stupid wee pitch and even then it still doesn't suit us. Huge OG from the club. 

Daft dimensions apart though, the Recs is great. It would be good to get a permanent solution to the gazebo part of the ground but I'm sure we'll get there eventually. I'd never swap it for a soulless 3 sided identikit effort in the middle of nowhere like the Falkirk Stadium. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I actually thought we played well apart from the end of the first half.

Alloa are a far better team than previous attempts in the championship, although the width is poor and backfiring on them.

Thought their keeper was a bombscare, so not sure where he pulled that save from Petra from.

John Cena enjoyed it as well.

Much as I get it it’s something that used to be levelled at ourselves. I’d still defend Brockville to the hilt.....

Big and crucial difference is that you could actually get a decent view of the game at Brockville.
Also had remarkable atmosphere of course.
Unfortunately the Recs is a terrible place to watch a game now that the terracing has been replaced by the gazebo.

4 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Some of our fans are fucking loonies. Screaming incessantly at Thomson for nothing very much. At one point the ball came off a Falkirk player and into touch - clear as day and not 20 ft from me. Guy near me going apoplectic with rage when Thomson correctly gave the throw to Alloa (and I'm not talking about the guy near the front who clearly has mental health issues)

Boy beside me absolutely lost his shit at Thomson (who refereed pretty well today I think) when Wadds fell over the ball and then immediately there was a sort-of-not-very-convincing shout when Rudden went down.

Every swear word under the sun and some new ones too. He had a young lad with him and everyone around him was mortified/amused by his behaviour.

13 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Falkirk didn't look significantly better today than the team they had previously but the main thing for them was to find a way to win and they did. For Alloa the frustration is that much of it was self inflicted. If we do go down then we won't need to look far beyond losing both home games against Falkirk. 

However, the team has consistently bounced back and is capable of doing so again. Some crucial games in the weeks ahead and we must start winning again. Ideally starting next Saturday. 

Its night and day for us of the Falkirk team today in regard to players. The importance of the game, conditions and with a bit of fear not to lose probably had a factor in why you think we looked no better, we also perhaps had a bit of bounce out of new manager that day in that our shit players made up with more effort.

Not been a great 2019 for Alloa, next weeks Partick game massive  and although positions are meaningless at the moment, we cant drop further than 9th without playing, which is good for morale as a supporter and player

8 minutes ago, Sevennil said:

A football ground where supporters can spectate from all four sides of the pitch seems to be bringing out the jealous rage in some of them, perhaps their age if they’re a post-Brockville era supporter 

Cant even spectate from all four sides in Alloa tho 

7 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Not as bad as Cowdenbeath, IMO.

Altho we have the chicken mesh at Cowdenbeath, it still has what is a big requirement for viewing in a tiered terracing

A flat area of terracing and the half terracing and half hill area behind the goals brings it down knowing full well if its busy you have the possibility you cant see all the pitch

8 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Its night and day for us of the Falkirk team today in regard to players. The importance of the game, conditions and with a bit of fear not to lose probably had a factor in why you think we looked no better, we also perhaps had a bit of bounce out of new manager that day in that our shit players made up with more effort.

Not been a great 2019 for Alloa, next weeks Partick game massive  and although positions are meaningless at the moment, we cant drop further than 9th without playing, which is good for morale as a supporter and player

I'm sure you do have better players now and the results certainly indicate so. However based on the two games at the Recs you were better in the first game. Falkirk ended up being fairly comfortable that day. Alloa were very clearly the better side in the first half today and even the second half was fairly even. Centre of your defence was not convincing. 

As for Alloa being dodgy in 2019 that's not altogether true. We had a terrific comeback against Dunfermline and a well deserved win over Morton. We outplayed St Mirren on their ground for an hour and we matched Ross County and Ayr the last two games despite losing. However, today was a real blow and we must start winning again if we are to stay in the fight. 

8 minutes ago, Waspie said:

I'm sure you do have better players now and the results certainly indicate so. However based on the two games at the Recs you were better in the first game. Falkirk ended up being fairly comfortable that day. Alloa were very clearly the better side in the first half today and even the second half was fairly even. Centre of your defence was not convincing. 

As for Alloa being dodgy in 2019 that's not altogether true. We had a terrific comeback against Dunfermline and a well deserved win over Morton. We outplayed St Mirren on their ground for an hour and we matched Ross County and Ayr the last two games despite losing. However, today was a real blow and we must start winning again if we are to stay in the fight. 

Alloa were better today than they were in the first game, the factors of today's game definitely played part today in that we didn't want to lose yet had the better chances to put the game to bed.

4 straight defeats in row is dodgy, you have our 5 straight defeats to beat tho and Partick's 7

4 hours ago, Waspie said:

You have to be on the wind up. Dixon and McShane especially today showed we are a class above the mess of a team Hartley signed. Both teams struggled with the conditions and dominated possession when assisted with the wind. We could have quite easily had 3/4 today. I can’t recall Burgoyne making any saves.

51 minutes ago, Sevennil said:

Stadium is fine in my opinion. The pitch size is the issue. I understand your need for it to stay in the league but I've seen amateur games on bigger pitches. Yes it's within regulations but it doesn't promote a good game of football as there is no space. It was a terrible game today. 

Archived