The Basement Battle: Alloa v Bairns

Looks like the weather is going to play a significant part in the proceedings. Forecast is broadly similar to today. Storm Erik giving us a battering until late Saturday.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just saying troops but if it’s not council ran then you don’t have to pay any fines they dish out over being over an hour/90 minutes etc

I am the law x

This.
Also Falkirk fans should not have to pay any measly town any form of money to accompany the navy blue pound, they should be grateful for our contribution to their economy IMO.

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

We beat them on that pitch with a team that had no discernible strengths. This time we have an actual midfield, people to support Rudden, and decent physicality in the team.

The pitch helped Falkirk that day. The idea behind shrinking it is to give an inferior side more of a chance against more talented opposition. Particularly if the inferior side manages to get ahead and can then try to shitfest their way to a win. And while you say Falkirk had no obvious strengths at that point, you did have physical strength, a simple and effective game plan and a decent striker. Ideal for the wee park. McKinnon played it very well. It was basically the game plan used by Jack Ross when he shrank the park originally to suit the shite Alloa team he inherited. 

Although I still feel we made another error in not enlarging the park when we had the chance and that is still doesn't suit us, the players are clearly more used to it now and have shown they can play football on it and get back into games after going behind. With Falkirk now a better side than they were, I'd imagine too that they will play a more open style. That should suit us. So while the first goal is still very important, I don't think we'll see a similar game to the first one, although the wind could potentially make it a grim struggle. 

I really hope Roscoe is back and that Flannigan returns to the heart of the team. Should be a real buzz and good atmosphere. 

10 minutes ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

We are a better side now, but it's still a narrow pitch. We'll likely play 3 in mid and 3 up front, or some sort of mid diamond. Still won't be open as there's not much space to play around in. 

Totally agree. Anyone expecting us to be a newly liberated font of open attacking football will be disappointed. McKinnon is still trying to build confidence and belief, and that starts  with the defence. It’s only two games since we gifted ICT a couple of goals. Against QotS, we gave away no freebies, and that will be his anchor point from here on in.

Absolutely no chance of us swarming (sic) forward from the get go. A win is what he wants, a draw is something he’d grudgingly accept, and then hope to pick up six or seven more points than Alloa between now and the end of the season. A defeat will of course, be a major set back.

It’s Paul Dixon who has made the biggest difference to the team. His performances are pulling a good few along with him.

Jarvis might get a wee run out tomorrow. Unknown quantity and all that....

19 minutes ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

We are a better side now, but it's still a narrow pitch. We'll likely play 3 in mid and 3 up front, or some sort of mid diamond. Still won't be open as there's not much space to play around in. 

Indeed, the park will have an impact and I'm not suggesting it is going to be total football. But we have got better at playing our game on it and I doubt it suits Falkirk's new team to play the way the old one did, so I do expect a different game. Certainly hope so anyway, from an Alloa point of view that was a thoroughly miserable afternoon in a season when we have invariably done well even in defeat.

Totally agree. Anyone expecting us to be a newly liberated font of open attacking football will be disappointed. McKinnon is still trying to build confidence and belief, and that starts  with the defence. It’s only two games since we gifted ICT a couple of goals. Against QotS, we gave away no freebies, and that will be his anchor point from here on in.
Absolutely no chance of us swarming (sic) forward from the get go. A win is what he wants, a draw is something he’d grudgingly accept, and then hope to pick up six or seven more points than Alloa between now and the end of the season. A defeat will of course, be a major set back.
It’s Paul Dixon who has made the biggest difference to the team. His performances are pulling a good few along with him.
Jarvis might get a wee run out tomorrow. Unknown quantity and all that....

Didn’t the FH quote that Jarvis was only due to arrive from Luton today due to a slight groin injury? May make the bench I suppose.

As much as I wanted DKD to play tomorrow, I initially thought the tight park wouldnt suit him as much and Waddington in for him might be a better option with graft and energy.

I initially in the thought it will be a flat 4-4-2 but the creativity isnt quite there, tho tomorrow might be just a case of scratch bite and pull hair to get the points due to weather and the tight pitch, so fancy dan width isnt a major issue.

If Jarvis is decent in the air, he might be a better option than Petra tomorrow also, ditto re Todorov tho my memories of him against us is that he isnt a target man in such and more of a work horse.

42 minutes ago, Sputnik said:

Sorry to detract from the parking patter. Tragically I'm cursed by having to rely on public transport tomorrow. Any top tips for a boozer that'll allow kids (under 14) in, ideally between the station and ground?

No pubs between train station youll need to head into town centre. 

Youll get to the wetherspoons in 5 mins walk max. Should be fine in there.

36 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

Didn’t the FH quote that Jarvis was only due to arrive from Luton today due to a slight groin injury? May make the bench I suppose.

In that case, McKinnon won’t use him tomorrow. I don’t think Todorov will score many goals (hopefully that’s cued him up for a couple tomorrow) but the little I have seen of him, he seems to be able to hold a ball for a few seconds to bring others into the game. I guess there will be a degree of punting to him, and then hoping he can lay the ball off into the path of Waddington or McShane to either have a crack themselves or seek out ZR.

5 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

I like a snack after a good scrap, cheers ..

Aw naw, it looks like you’re bringing a UJM to a Panigale V4 fight.......

Don't want to derail the parking/motorbike thread with some football but what do Falkirk line up like these days? 4-5-1? 

Burgoyne

McGhee - Edje  - McKenna - Dixon

Petra - Paton - McShane - Osman - McLean

Rudden

I'm busy all day tomorrow so I want to get the highlights done tonight and if I can get the team lines mostly out of the way before kickoff then that helps.

6 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Don't want to derail the parking/motorbike thread with some football but what do Falkirk line up like these days? 4-5-1? 

Burgoyne

Rudden

I'm busy all day tomorrow so I want to get the highlights done tonight and if I can get the team lines mostly out of the way before kickoff then that helps.

We are still in a state of flux. Would imagine we will have only one change with Wadds in for DKD, but we are strangers to team selection stability, so there might be one or two more. I would think one of McLean or Petra.

38 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Burgoyne

Rudden

Do you know if roscoe is back ?   Braaaaap!

Archived