Top 5 Wrestlemanias

DA Baracus

As the title says. Order your top 5 Wrestlemania events. You choose how to order them. Favourite, best matches, most influential; they all add up to the same thing, which is opinion.

1. Wrestlemania 30

Everything came together to make this the perfect Mania for me. It had a great build up. The matches all meant something (even if that something was pissed away by the company after the event). The matches were all good to incredible. The storylines were all good and made sense, especially the Daniel Bryan one (even though they had to salvage it and had to constantly re-craft it because Bryan was so incredibly over the fans demanded it).

The card was perfectly laid out. There were only 7 matches on the main card (pre match was an enjoyable 4 way elimination tag match for the WWE titles).

The opener was hot as f**k as the most (immensely) over guy of the time, Daniel Bryan, won his shot to the main event, but suffered a perfect post match beatdown.

The Shield killed Billy Gunn in an incredibly bad ass fashion that made them to the mainstream.

Cesaro's win in the Andre was hugely popular. Cena's match with Wyatt was decent and teased a darker Cena (obviously never happened).

Brock beat the streak.

Even the 'piss break' match was enjoyable.

The main event delivered in every way. It was genuinely an exceptional match, one of the best ever in any Mania. It also concluded one of the best ever storylines in WWE history. It was probably the most most cathartic win for the fans ever.

What really pushed this over the top for me was that I watched in a pub with friends and it was just so fun and such a great laugh.

2. Wrestlemania X-Seven

All of your favourites are on this card, and they're all awesome.

Jericho beat Regal to retain the IC title. APA batter folk. Kane and Big Show destroy the arena before Raven runs them over in a golf cart. Eddie Guerrero beat Test to retain the European title. Kurt Angle beats Chris Benoit in an absolute clinic. Chyna did stuff.

Shane McMahon beat his dad in a crazy, silly, stupid match that was insanely entertaining and featured innumerable ridiculous spots that were brilliant. Coast to Coast and Linda low blow were the best 

TLC 2 happened. It was amazing.

Gimmick Battle Royale was amusing and the perfect way to cool the crowd before the main event.

Austin beat Rock. Things happened that were significant.

3. Wrestlemania 31

The Andre on the pre-match featured a hugely popular climax to the Miz/Sandow story.

The main card opened with a cracking IC ladder match that Bryan won to huge acclaim. Orton beat Rollins with a great finish. 

Sting vs H cubed was electric due to DX and nWo.

Piss match did it's job.

Cena vs Rusev was great. Rusev on a tank ruled! Rusev should have winned though.

The Rock/Rousey/H3/Steph spot was great.

Taker vs Wyatt was also great, but Wyatt should have won.

Main event was fantastic. The story was immense, but the cash in totally made it. Incredible.

I also saw this in the pub with friends which also added massive nostalgia value. So much fun.

4. Mania X

Great matches.

Bret and Owen. Not only great in the ring but a great story that would go months.

Luger and Yoko did alright but was great storyline wise.

HBK and Razor had the best ladder match ever.

Bret beating Yoko for the title was great. The crowd popped big time for Bret.

This was a massively important Mania. It was right in the middle of the transition to better things. The rest of 94, 95 and most of 96 and most of 97 were such dogshit, but the making of Bret and HBK would have such an incredible knock on that would help create so many of the Attitude Era guys.

5. Mania 19

Farewell Attitude era!

Rey vs Matt was good (although a bit short. Version 1 was so good).

Tag match rules.

HBK vs Y2J was so good. The match was immense but the storyline was even better, especially so given what they did after.

We'll ignore H3 vs The Book.

Hogan vs Meekman was brilliant fun.

Rock/Austin 3 ruled.

Brock/Angle was awesome despite the failed SSP.

As the title says. Order your top 5 Wrestlemania events. You choose how to order them. Favourite, best matches, most influential; they all add up to the same thing, which is opinion.
1. Wrestlemania 30
Everything came together to make this the perfect Mania for me. It had a great build up. The matches all meant something (even if that something was pissed away by the company after the event). The matches were all good to incredible. The storylines were all good and made sense, especially the Daniel Bryan one (even though they had to salvage it and had to constantly re-craft it because Bryan was so incredibly over the fans demanded it).
The card was perfectly laid out. There were only 7 matches on the main card (pre match was an enjoyable 4 way elimination tag match for the WWE titles).
The opener was hot as f**k as the most (immensely) over guy of the time, Daniel Bryan, won his shot to the main event, but suffered a perfect post match beatdown.
The Shield killed Billy Gunn in an incredibly bad ass fashion that made them to the mainstream.
Cesaro's win in the Andre was hugely popular. Cena's match with Wyatt was decent and teased a darker Cena (obviously never happened).
Brock beat the streak.
The main event delivered in every way. It was genuinely an exceptional match, one of the best ever in any Mania. It also concluded one of the best ever storylines in WWE history. It was probably the most most cathartic win for the fans ever.
What really pushed this over the top for me was that I watched in a pub with friends and it was just so fun and such a great laugh.
2. Wrestlemania X-Seven
Jericho beat Regal to retain the IC title. APA batter folk. Kane and Big Show destroy the arena before Raven runs them over in a golf cart. Eddie Guerrero beat Test to retain the European title. Kurt Angle beats Chris Benoit in an absolute clinic. Chyna did stuff.
Shane McMahon beat his dad in a crazy, silly, stupid match that was insanely entertaining and featured innumerable ridiculous spots that were brilliant. Coast to Coast and Linda low blow were the best 
Gimmick Battle Royale was amusing and the perfect way to cool the crowd before the main event.
3. Wrestlemania 31
The Andre on the pre-match featured a hugely popular climax to the Miz/Sandow story.
The main card opened with a cracking IC ladder match that Bryan won to huge acclaim. Orton beat Rollins with a great finish. 
Piss match did it's job.
Cena vs Rusev was great. Rusev on a tank ruled! Rusev should have winned though.
Main event was fantastic. The story was immense, but the cash in totally made it. Incredible.
I also saw this in the pub with friends which also added massive nostalgia value. So much fun.
4. Mania X
Great matches.
Bret and Owen. Not only great in the ring but a great story that would go months.
This was a massively important Mania. It was right in the middle of the transition to better things. The rest of 94, 95 and most of 96 and most of 97 were such dogshit, but the making of Bret and HBK would have such an incredible knock on that would help create so many of the Attitude Era guys.
5. Mania 19
Farewell Attitude era!
Tag match rules.
HBK vs Y2J was so good. The match was immense but the storyline was even better, especially so given what they did after.
Rock/Austin 3 ruled.
Like it, however where's last year's after all the effort I put in hosting you!! (Remember Cactus Jack's cactus cock?)

Mania 17 - Greatest top to bottom WWE show assembled, and showcased every aspect of the Attitude Era wonderfully.

Mania 24 - Loved this show. HBK/Flair, quality MITB, Mayweather/Big Show, Edge/Taker. Stadium and overall presentation was incredible too.

Mania 10 - Bret/Owen, HBK/Razor and the fact it’s in MSG. Liked the way Mania 20 looked as well, but main event aside I didn’t really dig that show. 

Mania 21 - Angle/HBK is one of my favourite matches, MITB, Eddie/Rey are great too. Most significant WWE PPV of that era as well given it propeely launched Cena & Batista. 

Mania 23 - Weird one I know but the first Mania I watched in full with my pals. Cena/HBK was great, Batista/Taker good and I really liked the MITB from this year too. Saliva - Ladies & Gentlemen is also the best Mania theme ever.

4 hours ago, Chicken Wing said:
11 hours ago, DA Baracus said:
1. Wrestlemania 30
Brock beat the streak.
2. Wrestlemania X-Seven
3. Wrestlemania 31
Piss match did it's job.
4. Mania X
Great matches.
5. Mania 19
Farewell Attitude era!
Tag match rules.
Rock/Austin 3 ruled.

Like it, however where's last year's after all the effort I put in hosting you!! (Remember Cactus Jack's cactus cock?)

Your hosting was indeed fantastic but the Mania was mostly meh

Top 5, eh? Tough call but here goes...

Wrestlemania X-Seven - an absolute joy from top to bottom of the card and no surprise if this tops most folk's list. The only dud is Chyna vs Ivory but more a reflection of how women's wrestling was treated at the time. Everything else about the show is brilliant and has something for everyone. To think it could have all gone so wrong had Raven not avoided those electrical cables in that fucking golf cart. TLC II was off the chart and I never fail to get goosebumps when Linda rises from the chair and boots Vince in the stones. Gaun yersel' Linda! The gimmick battle royal was fun and really good to hear Mean Gene and Heenan on commentary for that. The main event was brilliant and we all know how that ended.

Wrestlemania 22 - A bang average tag title match and the Boogeyman aside this is a beauty of a show. The last one held in an arena before Vince decided to switch to stadiums permanently, this was a great showcase of how a crowd can really add to an event. The folk in Chicago that night were superb throughout and were justly rewarded. The MITB match was great fun including Ric Flair taking bumps that someone 25/30 years his junior would try to avoid if they could. HBK vs Vince had everything you'd want from a street fight with plenty of shenanigans. Yes, the triple threat for the world title should have had more time but all three did well with what time they had. Trish vs Mickie was pretty good too but was elevated by Mickie's superb psycho character and the crowd being into this big time. Speaking of which, Cena vs HHH to close the show was a delight. I'll never tire of watching this show.

Wrestlemania 30 - After a run of arguably mediocre Manias (28 aside but more about that later) they pulled it out of the bag with this one. The best opening match since Bret vs Owen at Mania X, the streak being broken and a terrific main event really elevate this PPV above most others. They got the mix between old and new stars just right as well with Kane and The New Age Outlaws putting The Shield over and the main event guys from the 1st Mania having a cool backstage segment.

Wrestlemania 31 - Another very good modern era Mania.  The ladder match, Sting/HHH with the shenanigans it needed, Rusev on a motherfucking tank and that cracking main event all contribute to the best outdoor Mania for me. Oh and Ronda Rousey being a bad ass is always good.

Wrestlemania 24 - I really like this one. Mainly because of that emotionally packed Flair/HBK match. What a way for the original Man to bow out. Well, until he took the sheckles from TNA and threatened to ruin his legacy. Enough of that though. Aside from that match the MITB match ticked all the boxes you would want, the Belfast Brawl was a decent opener and the main event was a high quality bout.

Honourable mentions

Wrestlemania 7 - one of the earliest I can remember watching at the time so a real soft spot for this. Well my first was Mania 4 but that was shit. A stacked card as you'd expect for any Mania with the undoubted highlight being the career vs career match. I dare anyone not to cry at the end of that.

Wrestlemania 18 - thought hard about putting this in my top 5 but just misses out. Rock/Hogan is the obvious standout but Taker/Flair is a favourite too as well as Lawler's heel commentary throughout.

Wrestlemania 28 - a very, very decent show with Taker vs HHH in particular making this worthy of mention.

I felt like Mania 30, 32 and even last year’s could’ve been GREAT Manias but all went off a cliff at various points. Ridiculous length of the show these days obviously a factor. First half of last year’s was tremendous, then fell flat, and I think Taker’s streak ending killed 30.

1. X-7: Just can't see past this at all. So much amazing work on here, and there's some decent forgotten stuff as well. Eddie/Test was very acceptable midcard stuff, and the opener with Regal and Jericho was a good spring. On the flipside I thought HHH/Taker was shit, but almost everything delivered or even over delivered, so this is an easy choice.

2. XXIV: I think this is actually pretty close. One of the best Mania main events between Edge and Taker was a fitting end to the show. I think it lacks in truly great matches outside of the main event, but it also lacks in total shit as well, and has a couple of great moments. This was enjoyable fare.

3. VIII: Not a fan of a lot of older ones, but this one has loads of nostalgia value. Two classic matches in there too. Piper/Hart is one of the best in ring stories in WWE history I reckon, and of course Flair/Savage is two guys just going balls out on the big stage. The spectacle of this show is really important too.

4. XIX: Could have been higher if not for a couple of moments of real proper shit. But man, so much of this show hit the spot, and McMahon and Hogan over delivered in their own battle.

5. 31: This was a good template for a modern Mania. Not much on there, but what's on there delivers for the most part. Taker/Wyatt was the only match I got nothing from, it has a GREAT finish, and a couple of other cracking matches and a great nostalgia match as well.

Willing to give special mentions to 21 and VII for being close, but no cigar.

Archived