Talbot just keep rolling on....

TFW

43 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

It wasn't years ago and went on for a few seasons. Bought success at a heavy price trying to be a big club. I have no problems with the Meadow now, decent club with a hard working committee.

It was years ago. At least 5 years. Again, don’t get your point.

i really don’t understand why a club wouldn’t want to challenge themselves against a higher quality opposition. Playing teams like Ayr/Hearts/Cove week in week out is more appealing than playing 99% of junior teams who bring 3 or 4 fans to beechwood.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

They are a phenomenon 

simple as that 

it will never be equalled what they have done 

but we like a lot of clubs will strive to become a major force in the game and challenge them 

029EC952-4C8A-4C80-9B11-47737B48A7E7.jpeg

I think Talbot have shown that they’re more than efficient, sure they do play direct and pressurise teams, but they also have some rare players. Armstrong is one of the most composed midfielders in the grade, Glasgow one of the quickest with great feet, Shankland one of the most skilful, G Wilson a powerhouse up front. They knocked the ball about well on the plastic yesterday, also opened Ayr up with some nice football. Some of the praise from other clubs supporters is the dammed by faint sort, suppose the self congratulationary nature of the thread creates resentment. Next week is as we all know a huge step up, I’m sure Talbot will make a good account of themselves. 

10 minutes ago, .Stuart. said:

It was years ago. At least 5 years. Again, don’t get your point.

i really don’t understand why a club wouldn’t want to challenge themselves against a higher quality opposition. Playing teams like Ayr/Hearts/Cove week in week out is more appealing than playing 99% of junior teams who bring 3 or 4 fans to beechwood.

This is a simplistic view and a highly unlikely scenario. The thought of playing East Stirling, Albion Rovers or Cowdenbeath is more like the reality. None of these clubs will bring many with them and it is not an exciting prospect. As for the lowland league, most clubs can hardly attract 50 fans. Unfortunately Talbot like many will have to consider their position due to the exodus in the east creating a crisis, but the top league in the West is the best in non league and will now have to change, perhaps not for th3 better. You mentioned Cove, they brought a handful to Beechwood. 

These are the Lowland League averages so far, with the prospect of at least Linlithgow/Bonnyrigg (or both) entering next season;

396     Kelty                           highest 560 v Gala                        lowest 232 v Civil Service
193     East Stirling            highest 252 v Kelty                      lowest 160 v Gretna
185     East Kilbride*        highest 300 v Selkirk                   lowest 100 v Whitehill
185     Spartans                   highest 290 v East Kilbride      lowest 132 v Gretna
130     Gala                             highest 182 v Whitehill              lowest   81 v Edinburgh Uni
127     Dalbeattie               highest 141 v Gretna                   lowest 100 v Edinburgh Uni
113     Cumbernauld        highest 255 v Kelty                       lowest   50 v Gretna
110     Whitehill                  highest 235 v Kelty                       lowest   70 v Civil Service, Dalbeattie, Gretna and Stirling Uni
   91     Vale of Leithen     highest 153 v Gala                         lowest   54 v Edusport
   89     Gretna                       highest 160 v Kelty                        lowest   45 v Edusport
   88     Stirling Uni              highest 180 v Kelty                       lowest   46 v Vale of Leithen
   82     Edinburgh Uni       highest 125 v Kelty                       lowest   48 v Stirling Uni
   80     BSCG                          highest 150 v Kelty                        lowest   30 v Edusport
   70     Civil Service           highest 102 v Whitehill               lowest   47 v Edusport
   57     Edusport^               highest 110 v Kelty                         lowest   15 v Edinburgh Uni

4 minutes ago, Bella La ghostie said:

This is a simplistic view and a highly unlikely scenario. The thought of playing East Stirling, Albion Rovers or Cowdenbeath is more like the reality. None of these clubs will bring many with them and it is not an exciting prospect. As for the lowland league, most clubs can hardly attract 50 fans. Unfortunately Talbot like many will have to consider their position due to the exodus in the east creating a crisis, but the top league in the West is the best in non league and will now have to change, perhaps not for th3 better. You mentioned Cove, they brought a handful to Beechwood. 

Talbot wouldn’t be in the LL for any more than a couple of seasons to be fair. Most teams in League two have higher attendances than the vast vast majority of junior clubs. Cowdenbeath average 300/400. There’s only 2 junior teams I can think of that regularly attract more than that.

Apologies for the "self congratulatory" thread. I obviously mistook this for a public forum where anything can be discussed, not just banter. I don't apologise for one minute though the fact that we had only the one game in the Super League yesterday, and two others in the whole of the West. There was nothing of note going on last night so I put the thread up to not only highlight the fact that I believe Talbot are doing exceptionally well at the moment, but also to generate the debate that I knew would follow. We are now on the third page so job done.

8 minutes ago, Bella La ghostie said:

New username, but still the same old tired cliched garbage Isa. C'mon give us the positives for being "junior" - moving senior is the way ahead and IS happening, your Nazi rant from last year that saw your GDPR meltdown is looking more and more  hideous with each passing day. 

Guest Nocknosh1988
1 hour ago, Bella La ghostie said:

I think Talbot have shown that they’re more than efficient, sure they do play direct and pressurise teams, but they also have some rare players. Armstrong is one of the most composed midfielders in the grade, Glasgow one of the quickest with great feet, Shankland one of the most skilful, G Wilson a powerhouse up front. They knocked the ball about well on the plastic yesterday, also opened Ayr up with some nice football. Some of the praise from other clubs supporters is the dammed by faint sort, suppose the self congratulationary nature of the thread creates resentment. Next week is as we all know a huge step up, I’m sure Talbot will make a good account of themselves. 

The boy Glasgow coodny cross the road , brought back down to earth next week pal 

5 hours ago, TFW said:

Apologies for the "self congratulatory" thread. I obviously mistook this for a public forum where anything can be discussed, not just banter. I don't apologise for one minute though the fact that we had only the one game in the Super League yesterday, and two others in the whole of the West. There was nothing of note going on last night so I put the thread up to not only highlight the fact that I believe Talbot are doing exceptionally well at the moment, but also to generate the debate that I knew would follow. We are now on the third page so job done.

You really are a very cringey guy though. 

12 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Why not start a ‘Talbot thread’ TFW, that would save us from another new one every single hour.

There is a Talbot thread. That's where this should have been posted. Its an attention seeking thread to attract roasters

21 hours ago, .Stuart. said:

Makes it all the stranger that the club are just happy to sweep clubs aside season after season with barely a challenge. You’d think they’d rather test themselves against higher quality opposition (LL/League 2)

#letsmakethisanotherpyramidthread

Stuart, I'm guessing that you are maybe too young to remember when your own club turned down (or didn't apply for) the chance to take the league place which was eventually offered to (and subsequently taken by) Ferranti Thistle ?

I'm sure that a joined up system will happen in due course (and I'm looking forward to it) and I'm also pretty sure that Talbot will continue to be a strong club and will find themselves at their appropriate level in that structure.

Maybe memory is playing tricks, but there was definitely talk of an application at the time. They chose not to apply then...semantics.

My point was supposed to be that Stuart is being critical of Talbot when the same could have been said about the Medda at that time.

Thanks Gogsy, I stand corrected.

9 hours ago, Jason King said:

New username, but still the same old tired cliched garbage Isa. C'mon give us the positives for being "junior" - moving senior is the way ahead and IS happening, your Nazi rant from last year that saw your GDPR meltdown is looking more and more  hideous with each passing day. 

People can and do have similar views that disagree with yours,  but they get the same treatment as anyone who doesn't comply to thoughts and opinions of some pro pyramid folk on here. Abused, discredited , made out to be someone else who was similarly discounted, rounded on.  Anyone who dares say that the West region top league is an attractive prospect is rubbished, ganged up on by the same individuals, who are zealots. You actually do not know me, but have decided to label me because it suites your agenda. The same reason as why you consider it OK to make public a PM, something that in any organisation should be kept private no matter what they think of the content. But it suites your agenda and therefore is justified. This displays a deep lack of integrity in the forum, and those who think this type of conduct is fine. 

2 hours ago, Black Pennel said:

Stuart, I'm guessing that you are maybe too young to remember when your own club turned down (or didn't apply for) the chance to take the league place which was eventually offered to (and subsequently taken by) Ferranti Thistle ?

I'm sure that a joined up system will happen in due course (and I'm looking forward to it) and I'm also pretty sure that Talbot will continue to be a strong club and will find themselves at their appropriate level in that structure.

They were invited to apply in the 70s. There was no guarantee they would’ve got the place.

Archived