Talbot just keep rolling on....

TFW

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Man Utd were and are at the pinnacle of football in their country, Talbot aren't even at the fifth level of football in Scotland, although it seems you'll have a chance of getting there from next season. Maybe.

Maybe not due to all the class acts in the EOSL.

Jeezo...we're comparing the achievements of a world renowned club from a city of millions against the successes of a small village team now ?

And we're somehow criticising the village team for being the best at the level they play ?

I'm entirely in favour of a properly structured pyramid...but,...jeezo,...boys & girls some sense of perspective is needed here.

4 hours ago, Black Pennel said:

Jeezo...we're comparing the achievements of a world renowned club from a city of millions against the successes of a small village team now ?

And we're somehow criticising the village team for being the best at the level they play ?

I'm entirely in favour of a properly structured pyramid...but,...jeezo,...boys & girls some sense of perspective is needed here.

Don’t think anyone’s criticising Talbot for being the best team in non-league football, of that there is no doubt. I just can’t get my head around why some fans wouldn’t want to see their team challenge themselves against a higher quality of opposition.

9 hours ago, Talbot 1978 said:
11 hours ago, .Stuart. said:
Never said I was upset. It’s just utterly embarrassing for a grown adult to go around calling folk fucknuggets.

Not embarrassing if I believe it's true.

Grow up.

Don’t think anyone’s criticising Talbot for being the best team in non-league football, of that there is no doubt. I just can’t get my head around why some fans wouldn’t want to see their team challenge themselves against a higher quality of opposition.

Which higher opposition is there for the likes of Talbot/Beith or even dare I say the Me££a without travelling to silly places in the borders or east Lothian 

The west league set up is living within its means and rightly so ( medda fans take note).

Its faired good up till now. So if the bigwigs offer a better service then its up for debate.

6 hours ago, .Stuart. said:

As a relative newcomer to the Scottish non league game, 28 years and counting, when I first starting attending Beechwood I often found myself asking the same question. Having moved up from England, and a regular non league watcher and follower down there as well as my home town team Grimsby, I was well aware of how teams like Peterborough, Cambridge United, Hereford and others had progressed pre automatic promotion from the Conference. With a fairly well thought out Pyramid system there's no doubt progressive English non league teams can set their stall out accordingly and attain Football League membership with money behind them. With the amount of Football League teams making the reverse move, up north certainly, the standard in tiers 5 and 6 has increased dramatically. That doesn't happen in Scotland, where even now they're so protective of clubs with league status there's no automatic promotion from non league. That's scandalous.

Were Talbot to go down that route, and over the years my views have changed about trying to get into the SFL, especially as I don't see it as the pinnacle of our game. There are plenty of clubs who currently enjoy the Western Premier League, because in the main it's a good standard of football, it's regionalised so it's cost effective and makes it easy for fans to travel, and it's cost effective for fans who only pay £6 per game. Where else in the UK can you get that kind of  value for money?

Hypothetical point. Talbot get into the SFL and the entrance prices double immediately. We might get more money through the gate but would probably see a corresponding drop in attendances once the novelty wears off. We might even get promotion? Increased entrance money again, and to do what try and get into the SPL where crowds at Hamilton hit a new all time low recently with a crowd of less than 1,200. That's a pinnacle? We'd never, ever, be able to compete with the big, well established teams at the top. So again, it's not a pinnacle. There's nothing wrong with non league football per se, although it's been an administrative nightmare for many years until this season. There's nothing wrong with wanting to support your team in a non league environment. That's what I want to do, and I know it's a viewpoint shared by the vast majority of Talbot fans.

4 hours ago, Talbot 1978 said:

Which higher opposition is there for the likes of Talbot/Beith or even dare I say the Me££a without travelling to silly places in the borders or east Lothian 

The west league set up is living within its means and rightly so ( medda fans take note).

Its faired good up till now. So if the bigwigs offer a better service then its up for debate.

Every club from the Lowland League upwards is a step up. It’d be mental if you think otherwise.

2 hours ago, Talbot 1978 said:
8 hours ago, .Stuart. said:

There's no clubs in the Lowland League from East Lothian. There's two from the Borders and three from Dumfries and Galloway - though in a few years I think that number will be reduced as most of those teams are near the bottom of the league and will be replaced by the top ex-Junior clubs.

1 hour ago, TFW said:

That doesn't happen in Scotland, where even now they're so protective of clubs with league status there's no automatic promotion from non league. That's scandalous.

Were Talbot to go down that route, and over the years my views have changed about trying to get into the SFL, especially as I don't see it as the pinnacle of our game. There are plenty of clubs who currently enjoy the Western Premier League, because in the main it's a good standard of football, it's regionalised so it's cost effective and makes it easy for fans to travel, and it's cost effective for fans who only pay £6 per game. Where else in the UK can you get that kind of  value for money?

Hypothetical point. Talbot get into the SFL and the entrance prices double immediately. We might get more money through the gate but would probably see a corresponding drop in attendances once the novelty wears off. We might even get promotion? Increased entrance money again, and to do what try and get into the SPL where crowds at Hamilton hit a new all time low recently with a crowd of less than 1,200. That's a pinnacle? We'd never, ever, be able to compete with the big, well established teams at the top.

To be fair, only 1 out of 4 play-offs have gone the way of the Highland/Lowland team so you could argue the quality isn't there below the SPFL to support automatic relegation.

The league where Talbot would gain promotion to if they got a licence and the west joined the pyramid has the following prices. Also, the East of Scotland League is  similar, and probably cheaper in most cases.

Why would the entry price double if you got promoted to the SPFL? Apart from League or Challenge Cup matches set by the SPFL at £12/10, the tickets prices are decided by the home club. Up to Talbot what the prices are, however other clubs like Annan and Edinburgh City who joined the SPFL have seen attendances increase despite prices going up.

Would  teams like Talbot or any Juniors  be better offering a  decent value saving to season ticket purchasers in a pyramid-type structure.  

No doubt it would get dearer for the paying punter in the pyramid and I'd imagine the average junior punter has a good decade on the average  senior one so might be drawing on limited income to fund this upgrade. 

A wee bit of transitional price protection would soften the blow for folk. 

Talbot do not need too play teams from the Dumfries area as the main competition is in the west. The football association's know that and that's why they are desperate for them to join. No matter what burnieman thinks/says it'll be intimately the Wests decision.

No need to reply Stuart as it was a generic reply. ( I know you'll feel the need to do so though)

Burnieman you can reply if you wish but I'll get bored of your repetitive sentences about the 4th line down.

10 minutes ago, Talbot 1978 said:

Talbot do not need too play teams from the Dumfries area as the main competition is in the west. The football association's know that and that's why they are desperate for them to join. No matter what burnieman thinks/says it'll be intimately the Wests decision.

Bit of amnesia there - you're forgetting that 121 clubs voted for the SJFA to take them into the pyramid back in June. It's the Juniors who want to join the pyramid, which is why they are having to adapt to the SFA's rules.

Archived