Edinburgh City v Rovers

9 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

No snow in Edinburgh- just very very cold. Heavy frost this morning but I don't know how that affects plastic pitches.

City were 1/10 on at Wullie Hill's to win. So Rovers to stuff them then.

Its like playing on a scrubbing brush. Could well be an upset here.

Can confirm on Wednesday night the 3G pitches at Sighthill were like playing on icy concrete. So much so that my metronomic passing game was almost (but not actually) disrupted.

I assume the surface at Ainslie is a bit more resilient but if the game is on I can’t see it being conducive to great football.

7 hours ago, AllyMonc said:

Can confirm on Wednesday night the 3G pitches at Sighthill were like playing on icy concrete. So much so that my metronomic passing game was almost (but not actually) disrupted.

I assume the surface at Ainslie is a bit more resilient but if the game is on I can’t see it being conducive to great football.

The Rovers aren’t conducive to good football either 

Pitch inspection at 11:30.

Actually a lovely morning in Edinburgh and all things considered relatively mild. If there’s snow on the pitch though it’ll be a no go.

My money’s on a full suite of postponements in L2

Actually a lovely morning in Edinburgh and all things considered relatively mild. If there’s snow on the pitch though it’ll be a no go.

My money’s on a full suite of postponements in L2

Delighted to be wrong! Game on, we’d better not make an arse of this now.

Obscure Fact #2354: The chap who helped clear the pitch today was Chris "Rocky" Robertson, ex-Rangers, Hearts and Meadowbank Thistle striker. I was cursing him and the ref for putting the game on as I have a cold and fancied a day in bed instead.  

I suppose it was a routine City win today... as if City wins can ever be described as "routine". More like "f*cking miraculous". But that's with the hindsight of nearly 25 years watching them! 

Jack Breen was wee livewire terrier today and I've been waiting years for a goalkick to be charged down by a striker which is what happened for his goal. He's on loan from Hamilton and I couldn't help thinking he's the sort of player that would have been a big asset to Albion Rovers if their Lanarkshire neighbours had loaned him to them instead. 

Rovers aren't all that bad- it will be interesting to monitor the remaining games they have against Berwick.

I saw a guy in an Elgin City hat and thought "must be an Edinburgh local who's an Elgin fan and just fancied a game. Hope he hasn't come far anyway..". Turned out to be Gavin Price..... 

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Obscure Fact #2354: The chap who helped clear the pitch today was Chris "Rocky" Robertson, ex-Rangers, Hearts and Meadowbank Thistle striker. I was cursing him and the ref for putting the game on as I have a cold and fancied a day in bed instead.  

I suppose it was a routine City win today... as if City wins can ever be described as "routine". More like "f*cking miraculous". But that's with the hindsight of nearly 25 years watching them! 

Jack Breen was wee livewire terrier today and I've been waiting years for a goalkick to be charged down by a striker which is what happened for his goal. He's on loan from Hamilton and I couldn't help thinking he's the sort of player that would have been a big asset to Albion Rovers if their Lanarkshire neighbours had loaned him to them instead. 

Rovers aren't all that bad- it will be interesting to monitor the remaining games they have against Berwick.

I saw a guy in an Elgin City hat and thought "must be an Edinburgh local who's an Elgin fan and just fancied a game. Hope he hasn't come far anyway..". Turned out to be Gavin Price..... 

I can remember Chris Robertson playing for Cowden on loan from Hearts:lol: a right blast from the past that one!

Rovers didn't look that bad I don't think their as bad as Berwick tbh the 2 games against the 2 sides will be interesting.

Never seen Gain Price but seen yer old mate Gary Jardine.

Took this in yesterday - it was either that or the Hibs. My last visit was the ICT game. The only good thing about Ainslie Park is that you can sit in Milnes Bar till about 2.31 and get a 27 bus right across the road. Made the mistake of going back after the game and it was rammed with English rugby fans. WTF?

Thought the result was never in doubt even though Rovers scored first. Big contrast in belief between a team winning every week and one losing. Rovers had a lot of tidy stuff back to middle but nothing up front. Was impressed by Breen and Shepherd. Henderson was obviously going to get his goal eventually. With Thomson and Balatoni you're never going to leak goals.

Moved into the stand second half and was surrounded by elderly Rovers fans (are there any other kind?). You have to admire their dedication. And bias, of course. The referee robbed them yesterday. Should have had 3 pelanties.

Rovers didn't look that bad I don't think their as bad as Berwick tbh the 2 games against the 2 sides will be interesting.

I said the same after we beat them at Cliftonhill last week. Maybe Rovers fans will be fed up people saying it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they got out of this. Harper seems to be going about things quietly and has made some good signings, results look like they might not be far away.

Decent win for City in the end.

We could've had 4 or 5 but the momentum we had at 3-1 up was lost by the manager with his now weekly stupid substitutuons!

As has already been said Rovers were not that bad and just need a striker to get a few goals and they might be ok.

Archived