How's the grounds looking?

Blackie Gold

56 minutes ago, clash city rocker said:

Joonyer fitba is slowly emerging from the Stoneage and Kennie is playing big part in that with a fixtures scenario that seemed nigh impossible to obtain only a season ago. Hopefully somebody will remind their delegate to raise the early postponement issue prior to AGM...and prior to the onset of alcohol consumption...then it may actually have a chance to be voted on. 

As Kennie said previously, it's the clubs that make the rules. We've all seen it before that some (not always) of the time that pitches that have no chance of being playable on a Friday night somehow are ok by Saturday afternoon.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thursday 1st March 2018, west of Scotland JFA called off every game that weekend 48 hours in advance.

But hey, let’s wait until tomorrow....

To be fair the snow that week was ridiculous and red warnings were issued by the Met office whereas the forecast where I am tomorrow is sunny intervals and a gentle breeze.

Does the Troon game have a chance ?

The Troon Twitter seems to think have a good chance as precautionary inspection. Do they have undersoil heating or a micro climate? My gardens still frozen and snow from 2-3 days ago still lying, can't see Meadow game being on and usually we have one of best chances for grass pitch. It is -2 to -3 at the moment and not to rise above freezing until 11am or later. 

2 hours ago, Shannon said:

The Troon Twitter seems to think have a good chance as precautionary inspection. Do they have undersoil heating or a micro climate? My gardens still frozen and snow from 2-3 days ago still lying, can't see Meadow game being on and usually we have one of best chances for grass pitch. It is -2 to -3 at the moment and not to rise above freezing until 11am or later. 

I don't stay down that way, but I am quietly optimistic about the game being on at Troon.  Been watching the weather all week and thought 50-50 about teatime tonight.  Coming out the pub about half an hour ago it is definitely warmer, and that is inland in Lanarkshire.

Weather is on the up and I think  our game at Troon will be on.

Edit:  I should add that I say it is warmer because my breath is no longer condensing in front of my face.  Not just because whisky makes it feel warmer.

11 hours ago, Tom Wilson said:

Only three games still on in the East Region are the ones at Lochore, Pumpherston  and Rosyth. Rosyth the only ones who play on an artificial surface I think.

As it stands just now Rosyth is the only game on in the East

To be fair the snow that week was ridiculous and red warnings were issued by the Met office whereas the forecast where I am tomorrow is sunny intervals and a gentle breeze.

I am not disputing the weather was worse that week, I am just pointing out that games have been Called off before the Saturday morning, so why can’t that be the case this week.

No way clubs who’s pitch was frozen solid on Friday was going to recover for today when temps still below zero, therefore let them call it off and clubs to be able to cancel buses etc and save some cash.

Posts above that it’s the ‘rules’ it has to be Saturday, however wasn’t the case last year. Therefore if they can be broken once then why not again.

1 hour ago, superpollok said:

I am not disputing the weather was worse that week, I am just pointing out that games have been Called off before the Saturday morning, so why can’t that be the case this week.

No way clubs who’s pitch was frozen solid on Friday was going to recover for today when temps still below zero, therefore let them call it off and clubs to be able to cancel buses etc and save some cash.

Posts above that it’s the ‘rules’ it has to be Saturday, however wasn’t the case last year. Therefore if they can be broken once then why not again.

That weekend, if I remember it correctly, the games were all postponed on advice from Police Scotland as they had concerns for people travelling in poor weather conditions. It had nothing to do with playability of the grounds. This Saturday is different. I understand that in most cases there is no chance of the frost lifting, but I have guidelines that I have to acknowledge. I think a mountain is being made out of this particular molehill. It's something that's been in place for years, why is this Saturday suddenly different?

That weekend, if I remember it correctly, the games were all postponed on advice from Police Scotland as they had concerns for people travelling in poor weather conditions. It had nothing to do with playability of the grounds. This Saturday is different. I understand that in most cases there is no chance of the frost lifting, but I have guidelines that I have to acknowledge. I think a mountain is being made out of this particular molehill. It's something that's been in place for years, why is this Saturday suddenly different?
Take it as a compliment, Kennie. We have made enormous strides in the fixtures this season from the dark days of the previous fixtures shambles, which has raised expectations of further helpful development in the rules. I recognise that your hands are tied in this respect though. In truth, most of these home clubs will have known last night that their games were off and, if they had any sense or courtesy, they would have informed the away teams accordingly, even if it was unofficial till this morning.

Archived