Alloa Athletic vs Ayr United

1 hour ago, Superhursy7 said:

Think he's has made a point of enthusiastically celebrating his goals against us since he left TBH though he was only with us one season and I don't get the thing you don't celebrate against former clubs, he's certainly done well in his career since leaving us I for one thought he would struggle this year but he's done very well.

Trouten has had two spells at Ayr.

First in 2010 signed from Airdrie for two seasons.  Then in 2015 from Brechin for one season.

Both times he was underwhelming and frankly looked disinterested. He never captured the form he had at Brechin which is what convinced us to sign him second time round. 

As someone else said partial mitigation you could argue he wasnt played in his position but a thoroughly frustrating player with Ayr.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Trouten has had two spells at Ayr.

First in 2010 signed from Airdrie for two seasons.  Then in 2015 from Brechin for one season.

Both times he was underwhelming and frankly looked disinterested. He never captured the form he had at Brechin which is what convinced us to sign him second time round. 

As someone else said partial mitigation you could argue he wasnt played in his position but a thoroughly frustrating player with Ayr.

Daft thing is, when we signed him back from Brechin  there was comment at the time that we wouldn’t make the same mistake of playing him as s right midfielder, before doing exactly that.  He was a disappointment, but still doesn’t explain the vitriol at times.  The over celebrating thing is a weak excuse.  If fans are going to target a particular player, don’t be surprised if he raises his game against you and rubs it in a bit when he scores.  

Trouten is easily one of the best players to have played lower league football in Scotland. I was pretty excited when we re-signed him as I thought he’d be a much better player and McCall would know how to best utilise him.

Had we played him as a striker just in behind Preston or Moore we would’ve got the best out him but McCalls insistence with playing 2 out and out strikers that season did more harm than good as Preston went long spells without scoring.

Imo if you give an opposition player grief in a match then you can expect a bit back. However the only way a player can do this is by scoring I.e Harkins and Trouten.

7 hours ago, printer said:

Not sure the swapping of Flanny and Kirky worked. Not sure if the reason for that. We played well again though, so onto next week's big game. A win there definitely needed.

Kirky played there at Dingwall when he came on as sub and bossed it pretty well. I guess it was a combination of that and with one of his centre mids being forced to play at the back to compensate for Roscoes absence. Agree question marks over its effectiveness on the day, but overall we played fairly well.

I thought Ayr benefitted enormously from Flannigan being moved out wide, even though he assisted the goal and caused us a few other problems.

He's like a lower league Andrea Pirlo when he plays in the middle - the best player in the division at dictating play from the base of midfield. There's something so satisfying about watching him slalom around the pitch, effortlessly spraying passes around and seemingly never getting flustered, regardless of the pressure he's under. I'd love to get to watch him every week.

Kirkpatrick has great technique but he lacks Flannigan's ability to receive the ball under pressure in the middle of the park, wriggle out of a tight space and quickly spread the play out wide. Granted I haven't seen anywhere near as much of Kirkpatrick as Alloa fans must have, but I always think he isn't influential enough for someone of his obvious talent. He seems to go quite long stretches in games without really doing anything noticeable, before banging one in from 30 yards or playing the sort of ball he did for Shields in the build up to Trouten's goal. Andy Murdoch was allowed to ride roughshod over the midfield on Saturday and I'd attribute that at least in part to Kirkpatrick not imposing himself on the game in the same way that Flannigan normally does when playing centrally.

Kirkpatrick....seems to go quite long stretches in games without really doing anything noticeable, before banging one in from 30 yards or playing the sort of ball he did for Shields in the build up to Trouten's goal.

Yeah, that's very much, Jordan; it's not that he's poor the rest of the time, he's solid enough. Really the position Trouten is playing is where Kirky is most effective. There's an element of trying to fit them both into the starting eleven and I can see why, they are both game changers.

I fancy we'll see them switch positions for the Falkirk game, even if Sam Roscoe comes back into central defence, likely releasing Robbo from defensive duties. Not that Robbo is a poorer left back than Liam Dick......

Archived