Alloa Athletic vs Ayr United

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

like ross county you have had us on toast this season...……...but...…………… we might just get something from this, if your defence does not tighten up we will score ...

From my personal experience of watching our games, I'd say the best teams I've seen this season are QOS, Ross County, Inverness & Alloa so I'd certainly not expect an easy time of it.

Big test again

We have shown our fragile side more in the past couple of months.

It's always been there, teams have woken up to us a bit more and injuries obviously have played their part.

Would rather have won Friday and lost last night than 2 draws.

All about the wins. Draws won't win you the league.

Can see a very tight scoreline. I'm going for 2-1 Ayr. Shankland with both.

With the forecast as cold as balls, could this game be frozen off? I know it’s a 3G but they can freeze into an ice-rink...

I’m still scarred by my last trip to Alloa in April but hopeful we can go get the job done. We’ll need to play with the same urgency we had against Dundee Utd and the 2nd half against Caley. Alloa are no mugs and we’re not great at playing at a slow tempo.

20 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Think he’s hamming it up quite a bit these days.

In fairness I think my comment was taking out of context. I wasn’t suggesting McCall should be sacked* or anything like that just that if we’ve loaned out our only natural winger other than McDaid with no replacement then serious questions need to be asked about how this was allowed to happen. 

* Wait till we’ve lost a few more games before I start with that patter. 

On 30/01/2019 at 11:39, AyrTroopMajor said:

Our central midfield should ALWAYS feature Andy Murdoch. Sticking him on the wing because we ridiculously sent one of our two fit wingers out on loan is suicidal and I think we are due an explanation from McCall outlining why McGuffie got sent to Raith when we had no replacement lined up.

Don't be daft. McCall has got better things to do with this time than justifying himself for decisions to which the consequences are yet to work though. He owes you nothing.

1 minute ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

Don't be daft. McCall has got better things to do with this time than justifying himself for decisions to which the consequences are yet to work though. He owes you nothing.

I am not of the opinion that McCall owes me anything. I am simply wondering what logic there was to loaning out one of our two fit wingers when there was no replacement lined up, meaning we played two vital games with a CM stuck out on the left. I don't think I was the only one wondering that either.

I am not of the opinion that McCall owes me anything. I am simply wondering what logic there was to loaning out one of our two fit wingers when there was no replacement lined up, meaning we played two vital games with a CM stuck out on the left. I don't think I was the only one wondering that either.

You weren’t however it seems we’ve got a couple of guys coming in today so hopefully it’ll all work out.

1 minute ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

In fairness I'd doubt if McGuffie would have got near the team ahead of Murdoch or Crawford had he still been here. Apart from that Murdoch was excellent playing wide against United on the Friday and I actually thought our midfield worked really well against Inverness in any case.

Had we not lost the 3 goals to stupid individual defensive errors then I'm convinced we would have won that match convincingly and would all be congratulating McCall on his tactics and formation.

Having said all that, I do agree with you that we should have kept McGuffie but hopefully Scougal and maybe another will be signing "imminently".............

I think it is more that McCall is already thinking further ahead than this season, as with some of the contract periods signed and extended. The McGuffie decision is a a gut decision that he needs to complete his development into a first team starter now , this season,  in order to be ready for next season. Effectively McCall is ready planning how best to meet the challenges of probably losing three or four of our guaranteed starters over the closed season and I think that is the correct decision.

If we come up short by a point or two, I am sure with 20/20 hindsight folk can point to the games in which McGuffie might have made the difference. McCall has to balance the short term and longer term health of his team, and with our resources that is not going to be completely risk free. 

This game in any doubt? Weather hasn’t been great last few days although hopefully with Alloa having the plastic pitch it’ll be fine. 

Alloa are without a doubt the surprise package in the league. Being the only PT team they were tipped by most to finish bottom however Big Jim is doing a cracking job and hopefully they stay up st the expense of Falkirk and/or Thistle. 

On to the game presuming Adams, Kerr, Forrest and Geggan are still out and we don’t add anyone else before deadline tonight id go.

Doohan

Smith Muirhead Rose Harvie

Cadden  Docherty Murdoch McDaid

Moffat Shankland

Subs:- Hare-Reid, Higgins, Bell, Crawford, Hilton, McCowan, Moore

Archived