Aberdeen v Queen of the South

NorthernLights

Was worried beforehand that our weakness from crosses would be exploited to the full. In the end, it was only exploited to the half. Decent of McInnes to do that otherwise it could have been a humiliating scoreline. 

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was away over the weekend so have only seen the goals.

That is some hit from dobbie, absolute scenes.

Penalty decision is shameful, thankful that it didn’t have a material impact on the outcome of the game, although it did end it as a contest.

Andy considine has scored an unreasonable amount of goals against a team he’s never been in the same league as.

And this thread was actually a decent read, lovely stuff.

Great day out apart from the result of course but it was a deserved,  if a bit flattering,  win for Aberdeen anyway.  Dobbie scores a cracker of a goal,  our frailties at defending crosses is highlighted again,  all in all just what Queens fans have come to expect in games this season. As others have said the introduction of McGinn was the turning point and it was like a red tide going towards Queens' goal for long spells in the second half.  Dykes worked hard again but should have done better with his second half chance.  It's now clear that the penalty never was a penalty but thems the breaks in football and it was merely a bit of icing on the cake as far as the outcome was concerned.  Good luck to Aberdeen, obviously I hope you go on and win it. Queens can now concentrate on league business,  and with the "big two"  teams near the bottom strengthening during the January window we can't afford too many slip-ups or there's a slight chance we may be dragged down  into a relegation battle. 

Nothing between the teams in the first half but was glad to see us step it up a level after the break.

Lovely goal from Dobbie. We'd kept him reasonably quiet up until then but that goal was ridiculous.

The 4th goal added the cherry on top, if undeserved. Very harsh on Queens.

It was always going to be a difficult task for us although I felt that as long as Stevie May was involved we had a chance. Compared to GMS, McGinn and Stewart he looks way out of his depth and he must be some player in training if he is getting the nod ahead of any of the aforementioned 3?

I am not a fan of containment football (as it ultimately achieves very little)but the first half was relatively stress free and the system provided some stubborn resistance.Having got to HT at 0-0 I think we could have been a bit more adventurous in the second half but I guess the flurry of goals just after the restart set the pattern and at 1-3 down match was effectively over. At that stage it was a case of avoiding a real drubbing which would have been undeserved.

I was pleased that Dobbie scored such a brilliant individual effort in a live game - many Premier League supporters will assume that Dobbie scores a vast array of tap ins and penalties but the reality is that a huge number of his goals are brilliant strikes at the end of a dribbling mazy run. The individual quality of his goals is absolutely outstanding and to score a goal of that quality on such meagre service rations was an achievement in itself.

As others have rightly said the better team won but the cash from the cup run will be welcome. Players gave their absolute best - thought Dykes and Marshall were our top men on the day.

Great effort by all the players and management staff yesterday, Capped with an absolute belter of a goal from Dobbie.

I was surprised Naysmith didn't give Connor Murray last 10/15 mins and take off one of our more important players before next Saturdays match v Dundee United. 

As others have rightly said the better team won but the cash from the cup run will be welcome. Players gave their absolute best - thought Dykes and Marshall were our top men on the day.

Dykes was a pain in the arse all game yesterday. If he hadn’t already signed for Livi I’d have said he’s a classic Hearts player. Big lump of a huddy centre forward that gets about.

22 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
23 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

I’m not trolling, he failed in the top flight before and clearly enjoys just being a big fish in the wee shitty pond that is the Scottish Championship.

lawl.

What bit do you disagree with?

21 hours ago, G-MAN said:

Wrong

He enjoys playing for a Club he loves who also allow him to live with his family near Blackpool and commute. He’s been there and done a lot more than many in his career.

I say he deserves a lot of respect and the plaudits he is getting. A lot to be said for being happy and settled.

You should try it sometime.

Edit to add: Remember a few years back as a teenager when I still lived in Dumfries. Last day of the season Killie fans on the pitch at Palmy celebrating the fact they got the 6 goals against Queens they needed to stay up in the old First Division.

Little did they know that they were still playing in another game (Clyde I think) and there was a last minute goal to send you down.

Not that long since your club was in a “shittier pond” mate.

That was 30 years ago.

We haven't been in the "shittier pond" for over a quarter of a century.

Anything else?

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Dindeleux said:

That was 30 years ago.

We haven't been in the "shittier pond" for over a quarter of a century.

Anything else?

As has been constantly proven for more than a decade now, there's very little difference between the vast majority of teams in the Premiership and the vast majority of teams in the Championship. 

It's hardly a 'shittier pond'. 

If Aberdeen draw a Championship side in the cup I look upon it exactly the same way as playing a Premiership side. What's the difference between QoS, Ayr, Dundee Utd etc, and Hamilton, Dundee or St Mirren ? 

Nothing at all, as has been proven (sorry for repeating myself).

6 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

As has been constantly proven for more than a decade now, there's very little difference between the vast majority of teams in the Premiership and the vast majority of teams in the Championship. 

If Aberdeen draw a Championship side in the cup I look upon it exactly the same way as playing a Premiership side. What's the difference between QoS, Ayr, Dundee Utd etc, and Hamilton, Dundee or St Mirren ? 

Fair enough I agree, Dobbie would be a good signing for Hamilton, Dundee and St Mirren.  I was talking about the top flight as a whole.

What bit don't you agree with? 
The fact he "failed in the top flight", though factually accurate, is really not telling the whole story. He was a lot younger and less focussed so it explains a lot. He would do a job for any top flight side now that played to his strengths, including Killie.

8 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I actually decided to do a bit of checking on the bit in bold, here are the Scottish cup results (if a replay I've taken the replay result) over the last few seasons between Premiership and Championship clubs:

2019:  Aberdeen 4-1 QOTS, St Mirren 3-2 Alloa, Motherwell 1-2 Ross County, QOTS 3-0 Dundee (2 wins for each division)

2018: Aberdeen 4-1 St Mirren, Celtic 5-0 Brechin, QOTS 1-2 Partick Thistle, ICT 0-1 Dundee, Aberdeen 4-2 Dundee Utd. Celtic 3-0 Morton, Rangers 4-1 Falkirk (7 wins out of 7 for the Premiership clubs)

2017: Ross County 6-2 Dundee Utd, Dundee 0-2 St Mirren, Hearts 4-2 Raith, Hamilton beat Dunfermline on pens, Hibs 3-1 Hearts, Rangers 2-1 Morton, Celtic 4-1 St Mirren ( 5 wins for the Prem, 2 for the second tier

2016: St Mirren 1-2 Partick Thistle, Ross County 1-0 Dunfermline, Dundee 2-1 Falkirk, Rangers 2-1 Kilmarnock, Hibs 1-0 Hearts, Dundee 5-0 Dumbarton,  Rangers 4-0 Dundee, Hibs 2-1 ICT, Celtic 3-0 Morton, Hibs beat Dundee Utd on Pens as did Rangers over Celtic ( 5 wins for Premiership, 6 wins for the Championship)

2015: Rangers 3-0 Kilmarnock, Celtic 4-0 Hearts, QOTS 2-0 St Johnstone, ICT 1-0 Raith ( 2 wins each way )

In that time the Premiership clubs have progressed in 21 ties against Championship clubs whereas the lower tier side has won 12.  When you consider that half of those 12 wins came when you had Hibs, Hearts and Rangers in the second tier it would indicate that there is quite a gap between the two divisions.   

#facts

12 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
27 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:
What bit don't you agree with? 

The fact he "failed in the top flight", though factually accurate, is really not telling the whole story. He was a lot younger and less focussed so it explains a lot. He would do a job for any top flight side now that played to his strengths, including Killie.

Whilst he is fitter and a better option today than Kris Boyd, I believe that he is very much a poor mans Kris Boyd and if he played in the top flight he wouldn't score 38 goals by February.  Consider his career stats to those of Boyd in all aspects - goals, trophies, caps, money (I guess) etc and I think you will find he is lacking.

He is a big fish in a wee pond.  Nothing against the guy and I would have him at Kilmarnock.  Would I play him before Brophy?  No.  Would Aberdeen play him before Cosgrove or Stewart? No. Hearts before Naismith? No 

PS - I like the #fact that you only disagree with the part of my post that you then immediately confirm it is #factually correct.

#facts

#TB4

#JUGS

#KNOTS

#DINDZ

Whilst he is fitter and a better option today than Kris Boyd, I believe that he is very much a poor mans Kris Boyd and if he played in the top flight he wouldn't score 38 goals by February.  Consider his career stats to those of Boyd in all aspects - goals, trophies, caps, money (I guess) etc and I think you will find he is lacking.
He is a big fish in a wee pond.  Nothing against the guy and I would have him at Kilmarnock.  Would I play him before Brophy?  No.  Would Aberdeen play him before Cosgrove or Stewart? No. Hearts before Naismith? No 
The difference between him and Kris Boyd is that Dobbie wasn't out his depth at Championship level; Boyd was an absolute diddy. Dobbie would hold his own at Killie if they played a system that suited him.

The players you've compared him to are completely different players to him so I'm not sure what that proves.

The difference between him and Kris Boyd is that Dobbie wasn't out his depth at Championship level; Boyd was an absolute diddy. Dobbie would hold his own at Killie if they played a system that suited him.

The players you've compared him to are completely different players to him so I'm not sure what that proves.

They are all the main attacking threat for their respective teams, as Dobbie is.

To be fair I would guess that you wouldn’t swap Dobbie for any of those mentioned but it would be interesting to see what the thought would be from a neutral on Dobbie vs Strikers of the better Premiership teams.

It’s a good debate though as he definitely is a good player, I’m not denying that for a second. If it makes my point any easier to understand I wouldn’t swap any of those names I’ve named for Lawrence Shankland either. Would you swap Dobbie for Shankland based on having seen both at close quarters I assume.

Archived