Aberdeen v Queen of the South

NorthernLights

Feeling a bit scunnered by that, but not surprised.

Aberdeen seemed incapable of doing us much damage in the first half, but when they managed to lift the tempo, we couldn't really cope, and the frailties we all know about were exposed.

I'm glad we got a moment.  Dobbie really is as good as we make out and as the stats suggest, so it was good to see that demonstrated.  

Aberdeen away was always a bit of a nightmare draw for us, because we were very likely to lose.  That we did is therefore no massive setback.  Disappointing that it wound up so resounding though.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, scoobles said:

You've taken that to the most illogical exteme.
Tbf your last post was basically mince and even less thought went into your reply.

So what opposition goals do you applaud? It’s nonsense behaviour and anyone that does it is probably a fan of the 6 Nations tbh. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

Bringing on McGinn at half time meant that Stewart could play closer to Cosgrove and bring him into the game a lot more. 

First half we were all over the fecking place....Stewart playing deep and wide, and May and Cosgrove forming a partnership by standing 50 yards away from each other. Throw in an out of sorts GMS and it had 'cup shock' written all over it. 

Funny how one substitution can change the whole balance of the side.

Good to see Mikey Devlin back as well. Great news.

I have to say, for someone apparently so lazy and finished for the past three years, McGinn doesn't half get himself heavily involved in a decent amount of Dons goals in his time on the pitch. 

First half was really dire stuff, and looked like we hadn't learned the lessons from Stenhousemuir. McGinn's introduction changed the game, and Cosgrove's goal for 3-1 knocked the stuffing out of QotS. In all honesty, 4-1 probably was flattering and the penalty is a poor decision, but pleasing to get through and with some goals to spare. 

We gave it a good go, and Dobbie's goal was worth the admission fee on its own. Stunning strike.

I haven't seen the penalty incident back yet, and the opinion on here seems pretty unanimous, but my view was right behind the assistant and my initial reaction when it hit Stirling was penalty, so I can understand why it was given. I wasn't the only one in our group that thought penalty either.

2 goals from crosses cost us, yet again. What I'd give for a keeper that would come for crosses, we'd be a proper promotion contender with one.

ETA: I've now seen the penalty decision again. Oh god, that's a horrendous decision!

Just in the door, and whilst I'm obviously gutted to have lost, I'm not too despondent or surprised for that matter.  We gave it our all and lost to the better team so not a lot you can do about that.  As has been said Dobbie's goal made the journey worthwhile (not to mention the generous odds available for him as "anytime goalscorer").  The fact it was a meaningful goal at the time and not a consolation made it all the better.  He's scored so many it's impossible to remember them all but I would be very surprised if he has scored many as good as that.  As clean a strike as you will see.

As for the game,  our stifling tactics worked very well first half and Aberdeen played into our hands a bit.  It must have been brutal for a neutral, but I was ecstatic with how the opening 45 went.  We dealt with the minimal threat offered by May and Cosgrove and our full-backs did a great job of stopping GMS and Stewart.  We offered the square root of f**k all in an attacking sense, but Martin wasn't troubled either.  Seeing Stevie May's name in the starting line up gave me a glimmer of hope ahead of the game, so seeing him taken off had the opposite effect, and I was right to be worried.  As his MotM award suggests the turning point was the introduction of Niall McGinn who absolutely destroyed us.  McInnes can't have done his homework on us that well because when you have a big battering ram of a centre forward like Cosgrove up against a defence that is as poor at dealing with crosses as ours there is only going to be one winner.  Aberdeen looked like scoring every time the ball was played in from out wide and could quite easily have had more than the four they got.  I dread to think what the scoreline would have been if they'd used this approach from the off.  It's little consolation that they didn't really cut us open, because they didn't have to.  I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that 90% of the goals we have conceded this season have come from crosses, it's really infuriating.

Good luck to the Dons in the next round, and please get your fingers out in the league and finish above Sevco again.  I'm sick of hearing about the "2 horse race" in Scottish football when one of the horses has never even finished second in their history never mind won the thing.  Thanks.

That was an utterly brilliant strike from Dobbie. My favourite goal was Considine’s though. He fucking loves the Dons. There’s not a player in that team that has put in more work to get to where he is. He’s improved and improved and improved and every time he gets a goal, or plays a particularly good game I like to remind people of that.

IMG_1312.jpg

I can’t remember if I watched the game live or if it was just highlights when the commentator mentioned it was his 350 Dons appearance, but I remember thinking what a fantastic milestone that was in the modern game. One of those players that just seems to have been around forever.

I’m not sure what he has against us though! No doubt he’ll score again when we next meet in the 2027 Scottish Cup.

I thought we did well today. A number of things that happened that were predictable in many ways. We lost goals from crosses, the big team got the benefit of a really awful penalty decision albeit the game was done by then, Dobbie scored and Dykes looks a player but no QOS fan was surprised when he didn`t score from a really excellent 2nd half chance. 

4-1 was harsh but Aberdeen deserved to win. No complaints there. Good luck to Dons going forward. Probably the best bet to avoid the treble treble.

7 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

I can’t remember if I watched the game live or if it was just highlights when the commentator mentioned it was his 350 Dons appearance, but I remember thinking what a fantastic milestone that was in the modern game. One of those players that just seems to have been around forever.

I’m not sure what he has against us though! No doubt he’ll score again when we next meet in the 2027 Scottish Cup.

4 goals in 4 appearances against us in his career, all obviously in the Scottish cup. 

He's only got 5 Scottish cup goals in his career!

Archived