Aberdeen v Queen of the South

NorthernLights

Would be delighted with a replay*. Can't see past an Aberdeen win but if Low is back and we play as well as we've shown we can then we are in with a shout.

* Still being in the cup. Another extra game isn't ideal though.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/30/2019 at 21:43, oldhat said:

The Dons fans were gentlemen before that semi-final and equally gentlemen after it, I have a lot of time for them.  What a day that was, though!!!

I remember being a seething mess, screaming at our players at the final whistle. QOTS players came over and they got some applause then as soon as they were gone I was back to being a seething mess.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Would be delighted with a replay*. Can't see past an Aberdeen win but if Low is back and we play as well as we've shown we can then we are in with a shout.

* Still being in the cup. Another extra game isn't ideal though.

A replay is probably the best we can hope for. I think the last time we won against a Premiership/SPL/Premier League team on their own ground was in 1990.

Worried that the obvious weakness we have from crosses will be exploited to the full.

57 minutes ago, Flash said:

A replay is probably the best we can hope for. I think the last time we won against a Premiership/SPL/Premier League team on their own ground was in 1990.

Worried that the obvious weakness we have from crosses will be exploited to the full.

That is what's worrys me we just don't have the height to deal with crosses.

Queens will have to play very well and hope Aberdeen have a off day  to have any chance of even a reply .

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Flash said:

Don't worry too much, our crossing is absolutely abysmal. 

A draw wouldn't be a disaster for the Dons. An away game where the opposition open up a bit more tends to suit us.

That is what's worrys me we just don't have the height to deal with crosses.
Queens will have to play very well and hope Aberdeen have a off day  to have any chance of even a reply .
Don't think height has anything to do with how we deal (or don't deal) with crosses. When the ball is punted forward by the opposition from open play all our defenders hold their own in the air. It's our inability to track and mark that's the problem. Our players could all be 6ft 5" and I doubt we'd be any better at dealing with them.

Don't worry too much, our crossing is absolutely abysmal. 
A draw wouldn't be a disaster for the Dons. An away game where the opposition open up a bit more tends to suit us.
We don't open up. Even at home we don't really do it. The system we use involves us sitting in and hitting on the break which has been pretty effective for us.

Probably a good game to give Devlin a start, provided he is actually fully fit. I'd also bring May back in, purely for his ability to drag defenders and create pockets of space against teams that are tight and hard to break down. McKenna obviously out through suspension, and I think one of Logan or Considine will drop out for Devlin - Logan was very poor and hooked last night, but depends how McInnes feels about playing Hoban at right-back; either way, Hoban deserves to stay in the team and I think will become a mainstay between now and the end of the season, provided he avoids injury long enough. 

9 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

What was he sent off for?  It might be next league game(s) he misses.  If it was a straight red he probably will miss out on Sunday. 

Nae offence mate, but you must be the only football fan in Scotland that didn't know that given the coverage of McKenna and The Frog Heid incident ^_^

On 30/01/2019 at 12:56, the tactician said:

any recommendations for pubs near the ground? 

Scotia is a good shout. Big fan of the Kings Bar but it’s very small and the Pittodrie bar is always rammed. Kirkgate Bar on the way up is a proper little boozer as well.

13 hours ago, Sheep62 said:

Nae offence mate, but you must be the only football fan in Scotland that didn't know that given the coverage of McKenna and The Frog Heid incident ^_^

I hadn't seen any reports/ footage of the game when I posted. We're not all obsessed with the Premiership either but nae offence taken.  

46 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I hadn't seen any reports/ footage of the game when I posted. We're not all obsessed with the Premiership either but nae offence taken.  

Fair enough.

Hoping for a good cup tie on Sunday, obviously with AFC winning.

Enjoy your day if you're heading up :thumsup2

22 minutes ago, Sheep62 said:

Fair enough.

Hoping for a good cup tie on Sunday, obviously with AFC winning.

Enjoy your day if you're heading up :thumsup2

I'll be there, travelling more in hope than expectation if I'm honest. 

Don't think height has anything to do with how we deal (or don't deal) with crosses. When the ball is punted forward by the opposition from open play all our defenders hold their own in the air. It's our inability to track and mark that's the problem. Our players could all be 6ft 5" and I doubt we'd be any better at dealing with them.

We have played with Semple, Fordyce, Maguire, Doyle and probably someone else I’ve forgotten about at CB this season. I find it hard to believe they are all hopeless at marking at set plays given, as you say, they hold their own in all other defensive aspects.

The common denominator is our goalie who is superglued to his line. He really should be dominating his area far better considering the size of him.

It is going to be really frustrating if we manage to largely nulify Aberdeen but end up losing to goals from set pieces, but I can see it happening.

If they slice us open and tear us apart with their superior players then you just have to hold your hands up and say “well done”. My main fear is that we’ll be the architects of our own downfall.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

We have played with Semple, Fordyce, Maguire, Doyle and probably someone else I’ve forgotten about at CB this season. I find it hard to believe they are all hopeless at marking at set plays given, as you say, they hold their own in all other defensive aspects.

The common denominator is our goalie who is superglued to his line. He really should be dominating his area far better considering the size of him.

It is going to be really frustrating if we manage to largely nulify Aberdeen but end up losing to goals from set pieces, but I can see it happening.

If they slice us open and tear us apart with their superior players then you just have to hold your hands up and say “well done”. My main fear is that we’ll be the architects of our own downfall.

Alan Martin cant be blamed for most of the goals we have conceded! we switch off at set pieces and dont track men not much the goalie could do but then again its easy to blame the goalkeeper  

Alan Martin cant be blamed for most of the goals we have conceded! we switch off at set pieces and dont track men not much the goalie could do but then again its easy to blame the goalkeeper  
Yeah I don't buy it that it's Martin's fault. We were the same when he was out for a few games.

I'm not defending him as he is indeed another Colin Scott but you just have to look at our defending to see it's a bigger problem. He should be more commanding but it doesn't excuse players losing their man. Saying Martin should take more crosses is absolutely correct but if the defenders stayed on their men they wouldn't get headers/shots away.

The first 2 goals against Falkirk were because our players lost their men. I wouldn't say our defenders are hopeless at defending set pieces/crosses as they deal with more than they concede (even if it's unconvincing at times) but there's no question it's our sides biggest weakness and has cost us valuable points for a couple of seasons now. It's not all down to Martin.

14 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Yeah I don't buy it that it's Martin's fault. We were the same when he was out for a few games.

I'm not defending him as he is indeed another Colin Scott but you just have to look at our defending to see it's a bigger problem. He should be more commanding but it doesn't excuse players losing their man. Saying Martin should take more crosses is absolutely correct but if the defenders stayed on their men they wouldn't get headers/shots away.

The first 2 goals against Falkirk were because our players lost their men. I wouldn't say our defenders are hopeless at defending set pieces/crosses as they deal with more than they concede (even if it's unconvincing at times) but there's no question it's our sides biggest weakness and has cost us valuable points for a couple of seasons now. It's not all down to Martin.

Think you are both right but imo Martin is a major part of the problem because he doesn’t help the defenders. He treats crosses as though they are nothing whatsoever to do with him, sometimes even when they are about a yard away from him. Saying we were the same when Martin was out isn’t a convincing argument in his favour because Leighfield isn’t good with crosses either. Perhaps because the defenders get so little help from either keeper they have to do all the work and are consequently more likely to make mistakes.

Think you are both right but imo Martin is a major part of the problem because he doesn’t help the defenders. He treats crosses as though they are nothing whatsoever to do with him, sometimes even when they are about a yard away from him. Saying we were the same when Martin was out isn’t a convincing argument in his favour because Leighfield isn’t good with crosses either. Perhaps because the defenders get so little help from either keeper they have to do all the work and are consequently more likely to make mistakes.
I'm beginning to question his communication tbh. Two separate incidents against Falkirk resulted in them getting a chance from nothing when there was little pressure on the defender and him.

I'm beginning to get frustrated with his lack of command in his 6 yards box having defended him previously.

I still take issue with a 'keeper being blamed when defenders are losing their men. That's down to the defender IMO.

Archived