Changing allegiance

Nikos K

I was having an interesting chat on the Cambuslang thread with a Clydebank fan about their chairman leaving the club to go to kilbirnie as a coach. Is this an unusual thing and how would you feel if the head of your club left in the same manner . I know killiepyo takes a bit of ribbing but this is a difficult matter surely . 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No grown adult should ever change their colours, just don't understand it at all, I would rather watch the one club all my life win nothing and be loyal to them than jump over a glory hunting bandwagon. 

I like Killiepyo and he's a cracking guy but what he done in switching from Hurlford to Talbot simply isn't on :whistle

10 minutes ago, BANKIEBILL said:

lol ... i'll let you crack on with whatever point you think you're making. As a "thirds" fan i'll put your crankiness down to being a Septugenarian or whatever ... 

I’ve actually just turned 60 but feel 70 reading some of the stuff on here. No point being made just asking a simple question. 

That’s the type of thing I’m on about I get that managers/coaches and players move on but not committee members. How can you just switch and help your new team beat the team you used to run. To go to a rival and have all that inside knowledge of your previous club can’t be good. 

23 minutes ago, john-m- said:

The new Cambuslang secretary was maryhill’s secretary until recently and was previously on the committee at beith and used to be a Pollok fan before Beith.

I think the reason is that watched his old man as a youngster when his dad was a Pollok, meadow, arthurlie legend as a player, then the guys dad joined the beith coaching staff and his boy got the bug for us while cheering on his dad's team, a bit different to randomly waking up one day and just choosing another team. 

7 minutes ago, ThemightyHERTHA said:

I think the reason is that watched his old man as a youngster when his dad was a Pollok, meadow, arthurlie legend as a player, then the guys dad joined the beith coaching staff and his boy got the bug for us while cheering on his dad's team, a bit different to randomly waking up one day and just choosing another team. 

He also watched his brother play for Killie and Dunfermline too. 

1 minute ago, paul wright scores said:

He also watched his brother play for Killie and Dunfermline too. 

Exactly and its like most people that are family of players, see loads wearing our scarves and buying right into the club but if their boy moves on then realistically they're moving on too, nothing wrong with that and it's different from just a 'normal' fan changing teams. 

It's unusual but then so is saying you support some Spanish or German mob when your entire affinity is built on a Sky Sports subscription and a Ricky Lake fitba top bought on holiday in Turkey. Each to their own i say. 

At least these folk are supporting the junior game in their own way 

It is not something I understand as a fan, but going to work at another club really depends on the motivation/reason.

The current Cambuslang secretary went to Maryhill as a favour to help out a friend short term and is most likely going to Cambuslang for the same reason. I don't think there is a greater worry for fans of any of the clubs more so than a player being transferred between them and their knowledge. Think due to the way junior football is structured, you're not really competing at committee level other than with sponsorship.

Some people have changed teams to support their local team, I certainly couldn't do that.

13 minutes ago, beith19 said:

It is not something I understand as a fan, but going to work at another club really depends on the motivation/reason.

The current Cambuslang secretary went to Maryhill as a favour to help out a friend short term and is most likely going to Cambuslang for the same reason. I don't think there is a greater worry for fans of any of the clubs more so than a player being transferred between them and their knowledge. Think due to the way junior football is structured, you're not really competing at committee level other than with sponsorship.

Some people have changed teams to support their local team, I certainly couldn't do that.

Yeah, I don't think anyone at Lochburn was labouring under the misapprehension he was there for life. He came in at the start of the season when a few prominent committee members had stepped down over the close season and we were struggling for numbers, and we're grateful to him for his efforts during his short spell with us. There's a similar and almost certainly more pressing need for help at Cambuslang at the moment, and we wish him well there.

If my involvement with the team ceased I'd be unlikely in the extreme to get involved anywhere else, but different strokes for different folks - it would be a boring world if we all thought the same...

3 hours ago, Nikos K said:

That’s the type of thing I’m on about I get that managers/coaches and players move on but not committee members. How can you just switch and help your new team beat the team you used to run. To go to a rival and have all that inside knowledge of your previous club can’t be good. 

I think youll find that many committee members in the lower leagues are relations of friends of the manager, I know one team a couple of seasons where all bar one of the committee, small as it was, were the father, brother, and mates of the manager, if he walks then they arent going to stay? Nothings as black and white as it seems.

Some people have a passion for their local club and wouldn't dream of joining another committee while other people just love to be involved with a club, to help out, egos, fall outs etc people leave one club so surely going to help another rather then being lost to the game is a good thing?

One thing that I cant understand is in many cases I have seen people give year after year serving on the committee of the club they love but when they stand down they are never seen at games?

16 minutes ago, Nugent4nil said:

I think youll find that many committee members in the lower leagues are relations of friends of the manager, I know one team a couple of seasons where all bar one of the committee, small as it was, were the father, brother, and mates of the manager, if he walks then they arent going to stay? Nothings as black and white as it seems.

Some people have a passion for their local club and wouldn't dream of joining another committee while other people just love to be involved with a club, to help out, egos, fall outs etc people leave one club so surely going to help another rather then being lost to the game is a good thing?

One thing that I cant understand is in many cases I have seen people give year after year serving on the committee of the club they love but when they stand down they are never seen at games?

Were there not a few  diehard  Arthurlie fans who turned their back on the club and suddenly were passionate Glencairn fans? , Indeed i think a couple may even be on their committee now.  I cannot envisage a situation where i could turn my back on my club and just walk away and support another.  

41 minutes ago, Satori. said:

Were there not a few  diehard  Arthurlie fans who turned their back on the club and suddenly were passionate Glencairn fans? , Indeed i think a couple may even be on their committee now.  I cannot envisage a situation where i could turn my back on my club and just walk away and support another.  

My understanding at the time was they approached the committee in place asking if they could help and were rebuffed so got involved elsewhere, not actually being there its only hearsay obviously but thats one side of the story I have heard.

1 hour ago, Nugent4nil said:

I’ve seen this happen a good few too many times unfortunately.  Where people have felt that they have been disrespected by current committee, sometimes publicly slagged off, false accusations of wrong doing or laziness. Where if it is by a single individual you can shrug off, when done by committee/officials it is felt the club is against them, what they have done for the club has been forgotten & makes that pleasurable experience of going to a game turn into something bitter so they stop going or go less often. They then get called petty or childish by more people because of this and it’s a vicious circle.

Could name 3 or 4 great people I served on committee with that this happened to.

Archived